Amp - Home Use Only - Max £1000

What's Hot
GrampaGrampa Frets: 947
Currently have a THR 30ii that is epic, but still find myself fiddling and faffing too much looking for that elusive perfect tone rather than playing. Since retirement we've been having a mass clear out ready for the day we decide to downsize and have sold loads of (non music related) stuff locally. As such I have a budget of £1000 (including the upcoming proposed sale of the THR 30ii & Boss GT10ii combo) to buy another amp. Leaning heavily towards a used  Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb but interested to hear other suggestions.
1. Max budget £1000
2. Home use only
3. Solid state
4. Simplicity is the key
5. Great tone without the faff
Thanks in advance
My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JD50JD50 Frets: 659
    edited March 26
    Sure you need to spend a grand? What sort if tones are you after?
    Someone is going to say Peavey Bandit 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9561
    Fender Tonemaster DR
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 947
    edited March 26
    JD50 said:
    Sure you need to spend a grand? What sort if tones are you after?
    Someone is going to say Peavey Bandit 
    Nope, don't need to spend a grand, max budget is £1000. As for tones, a nice clear clean, bit of reverb, nothing special. I play mainly 50's/60s and want to just sit down and play without the temptation of a 1000 different permutations and, after playing one, the Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb seems to fit the bill. Just wondered what else might be out there?
    Fender Tonemaster DR
    Good shout, not in a rush so will find one to try. Thank you.
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 300
    Does it have to be solid state? You’d get a Princeton for less than that. 
  • NickBNickB Frets: 241
    A used Cornell Romany 12. 10 watts of sonic perfection 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7207
    If you are looking for solid state and simple then an award session would be a good fit Ian. Ive had a few and they are great at everything except higher gain stuff
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 666
    ditchboy said:
    Does it have to be solid state? You’d get a Princeton for less than that. 
    Yeah, I was wondering why it needs to be ss. 
  • Tone Master Princeton works for me at home.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 659
    Tone Master Princeton works for me at home.
    How loud does the tone master get before break up?
  • KristoKristo Frets: 131
    Award Session Bluesbaby. Awesome amps for home playing. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4178
    Some sort of silver panel Fender must be in the offing for that money, a Princeton at least, if not a Deluxe. 

Tell me to mind my own business, but why the aversion to valves? I've got a Marshall JCM900 which was made in '91. I bought it used in about '99 and its done the odd gig, some rehearsals, home use. I've only just replaced what looked like the original EL34s. (They were absolutely shagged to be fair). I think the phase inverter needed changing too, but my memory's not what it was :)
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1349
    edited March 26
    Fender '68 Custom Vibro Champ Reverb.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    An Orange Crush Pro or Super Crush - I use a Cr60c cracking 2 channel amp excellent reverb.
    randella said:
    Tell me to mind my own business, but why the aversion to valves? I've got a Marshall JCM900 which was made in '91. I bought it used in about '99 and its done the odd gig, some rehearsals, home use. I've only just replaced what looked like the original EL34s. (They were absolutely shagged to be fair). I think the phase inverter needed changing too, but my memory's not what it was :)
    No need to mind your own, I've owned valves, I've owned SS, I much prefer SS, just personal preference.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4178
    Fair enough - I’d be looking at those ToneMasters too then. They sound like a great option.

I just need more money (and space) :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If you are looking for solid state and simple then an award session would be a good fit Ian. Ive had a few and they are great at everything except higher gain stuff
    Great wisdom as always my friend, and I can't abide high gain, I don't want what I'm playing to be drowned with distortion. Not considered Award Session so will definitely take a look. Thank you.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3028
    If you go s/h you do a lot worse than a Vox Pathfinder 15r if you can find one. You could then keep the other £850+ quid. 

Cracking little SS amps.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5766
    The Tone Master DR would definitely be a good fit for the criteria. There are other great amps that are either digital or SS but none of those also have the gorgeous look of a vintage Fender. 

The Princeton might be a nice option to the Deluxe Reverb, a little smaller so less in your face and if you don’t need the two channels, an even more simple layout. 
  • dazzajl said:
    The Tone Master DR would definitely be a good fit for the criteria. There are other great amps that are either digital or SS but none of those also have the gorgeous look of a vintage Fender. 

The Princeton might be a nice option to the Deluxe Reverb, a little smaller so less in your face and if you don’t need the two channels, an even more simple layout. 
    Was just about to say the same - if it's just for home use I don't really see why you'd pay the extra for the DR. The TM Princeton sounds great and can get pretty darned loud (I use mine for gigging).
     Plus it even has less knobs to twiddle with if you're wanting to keep things as simple as possible!