Amp - Home Use Only - Max £1000

What's Hot

Comments

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4141
    Orange Supercrush - works fabulously at home volumes thanks to good tapers. And the clean channel works much better with pedals than its predecessor. Fabulous amp, two great channels, FX loop, and a nice reverb. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    Another vote for Award-Session. I’ve got their 22W 5E3 Extra and would absolutely recommend. Controls are as simple as they come, and it sounds great even at home volumes.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/255492/award-session-5e3-extra

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fiddlesticks_Fiddlesticks_ Frets: 273

The TM Princeton sounds great and can get pretty darned loud (I use mine for gigging).
     Plus it even has less knobs to twiddle with if you're wanting to keep things as simple as possible!
    Plus Princetons sound better  ;)
  • lewisandersonlewisanderson Frets: 63
    edited March 27
    JD50 said:
    Tone Master Princeton works for me at home.
    How loud does the tone master get before break up?
    You can control the overall output with the attenuator on the back. I usually put it on 3 watts and it's more than enough for home use. At fully attenuated levels with the volume up full, it ODs well but sounds a little fizzy. At the full 12 watts, it is bloody loud for home use, but overdrives really well. Takes pedals no problem too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    How mobile are you Gramps? I say that because you could hike your guitar arround some shops and try things. I bet if you emailed/phoned them and told them you were holding serious folding they would be very pleased to help in these hard times! AND! Just because it is expected of me I shall mention that Blackstar make some very good, very reliable SState amps!

Dave.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 863
    The tonemasters are nice - although digital not solid state! A valve princeton is also a lovely home amp played clean.

Lastly for true solid state, a tech 21 trademark 60 is a lovely amp - great fender sounds and all analogue. This there was one here a short while ago?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 947
    ecc83 said:
    How mobile are you Gramps? I say that because you could hike your guitar arround some shops and try things. I bet if you emailed/phoned them and told them you were holding serious folding they would be very pleased to help in these hard times! AND! Just because it is expected of me I shall mention that Blackstar make some very good, very reliable SState amps!

Dave.
    Hi Dave
    Very good fairly local (bus-train-walk) shop that I'm on very good terms with, have a great range of amps, and encourage just this. Once the THR sells I shall make the trip.
    Cheers
    Grampa
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4703
    Nextone Stage or a Blues Cube Hot.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 274
    It's not the simplest solution, but I'd get a great cab, maybe a barefaced upsetter or reformer, and a pedalboard sized solid state power amp. That way you can get any preamp you want and have a ton of fun with tones at a reasonable price and level of complexity. Maybe you don't even need a preamp if you have a pedal which will serve that purpose. Otherwise, want a Marshall? Want a Vox-y thing? Blackface? No problem, and you can still change your mind down the road. 

Small, unobtrusive, yet you can still get valve pre-amp drive with the benefits of a solid state power section.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    I bought a Fender TM Deluxe Reverb in blonde earlier this year, absolutely wonderful amp that sounds good with rich and fat tone at low volumes courtesy of the attenuator.
    When I bought it it was a gamble being used to valve amps, but it’s superb.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 666
    Is it just me or does it seem strange to not want a valve amp then go for one that's designed to replicate a valve amp?  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9560
    Kurtis said:
    Is it just me or does it seem strange to not want a valve amp then go for one that's designed to replicate a valve amp?  :)
    The caveat is, at usable home volumes ;)
    Kurtis said:
    Mine does usable home volumes. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9560
    Kurtis said:
    Kurtis said:
    Congrats… but not everyones…

Youre preaching to the choir, by the way, as I own a Two Rock and Redplate.

But i would own a TMDR in a flash, for home use.
    edited March 27
    Kurtis said:
    Kurtis said:
    Is it just me or does it seem strange to not want a valve amp then go for one that's designed to replicate a valve amp? 
    The caveat is, at usable home volumes
    Congrats… but not everyones…

Youre preaching to the choir, by the way, as I own a Two Rock and Redplate.

But i would own a TMDR in a flash, for home use.
    Attenuator  ;)
    duotone said:
    Yes, did see this, very sad day. Hopefully the second hand market will answer the call if needed.
    Kurtis said:
    Why not. Had valve amps including an excellent 633 Dragonfly RT. Only 5 Watt but still too loud for use comfortably at home and lost far too much when teamed up with a Tone King Ironman II Mini. Plus the valves cost a bloody fortune to replace these days.

• SteppedOutSteppedOut Frets: 35
    Fender Tonemaster DR
    This gets my vote
    edited March 27
    Grampa said:
    Kurtis said:
    Is it just me or does it seem strange to not want a valve amp then go for one that's designed to replicate a valve amp? 
    Why not. Had valve amps including an excellent 633 Dragonfly RT. Only 5 Watt but still too loud for use comfortably at home and lost far too much when teamed up with a Tone King Ironman II Mini. Plus the valves cost a bloody fortune to replace these days.

Totally up to you of course. Just thought it was interesting. 

I run an 18w valve amp at home with an attenuator, I made with half a dozen parts, and it sounds great. Not had to replace valves since I've had it (in fact they are from a much older amp) and if anything happens to it I can fix it myself. Should easily out live me and then some! 

TM's have attenuators built in?