Coffee people - Hasbean Ozone

What's Hot
dariusdarius Frets: 632
Hasbean coffee roasters is now Ozone coffee. 
I’ve had a subscription with them for years, I think it was this forum that recommended them, it’s been genuinely brilliant. 
But they recently reduced bags from 250g to 220g. It doesn’t last the week anymore. 
And today I read that they have changed to ‘Ozone Coffee’. Hasbean has been acquired by a fancy London coffee shop. The blurb reads like it’s written for primary school children. 

We Fear Change. 
Especially In Coffee. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That's a shame, although coffee prices must be absolutely soaring at the moment. 

I am with rave at the moment, it's OK but rarely do you get a super light roast in the sub, it's typically medium. I suppose trying to keep all happy. 

If there is a good filter-first sub someone is aware of let me know. I get espresso beans from a local roaster but they don't do the light filter stuff. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    edited March 29
    Honestly never heard of Ozone Coffee until now.

Now that the bag size has reduced by 30g, the next step will probably be them increasing prices.

Are you looking for a new coffee subscription service?
  • JodyJamesJodyJames Frets: 36
    edited March 29
    I’m also a HasBean subscriber potentially looking to change… I’m not THAT bothered about the big boy takeover per se, but the bag reduction and probable price increase is annoying. And the verbose descriptions on the bags are really irritating. The coffee is always very good but never spectacular, and I wouldn’t expect that to change now. I also get beans locally from Good Coffee Cartel in Glasgow (who also do subscriptions)… pretty much always fantastic but a good bit dearer. I also favour a light roast and theirs hit the spot.
  • dariusdarius Frets: 632
    Not yet. Hoping not to have to, but might need a backup soon.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Cheers for the heads up on HasBean.
    I've regularly used TheCoffeeBeanShop based in Kent as an alternative. I think they were recommended here too.

• danodano Frets: 1593
    I've never heard of Ozone Coffee, just googled them and basedbin Shoreditch, which tells you it's going to be a style.over substance hipster marketing dream.

There is a good coffee roaster (and shops) locally in Liverpool 92 degrees,  we occasionally pick up this one which is a light to medium roast, well worth a try.

https://92degrees.coffee/products/california-calling-coffee-1
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    Pretty sure that Ozone acquired Hasbeen in 2018,its only now that they're rebranding it to Ozone? Quire a few roasters have moved to 220g bags now - response to rising coffee prices?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    That's a shame, although coffee prices must be absolutely soaring at the moment. 

I am with rave at the moment, it's OK but rarely do you get a super light roast in the sub, it's typically medium. I suppose trying to keep all happy. 

If there is a good filter-first sub someone is aware of let me know. I get espresso beans from a local roaster but they don't do the light filter stuff. 
    I just buy kilo bags of beans from Rave when I need them as they tend to be expensive enough for free postage. But I like most of their roasts (so far anyway). Although S.O. are generally better, the fudge blend is very palatable. 

My local roaster, Ethical Addictions, is my other favourite too. But I’ll go buy bags from them direct as it’s only 10 mins from my house (to be fair Rave is only 20 mins away as well) 
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4176
    I use Coffeelink at the moment; I switched to decaf beans a while back and tried a few brands - came back to Coffeelink in the end because they were the best balance of flavour and price.

Before I switched to decaf I did Coffeelink’s subscription but I stopped because I felt like I was getting the same few varieties all the time instead of a truly random selection - I emailed them to cancel and they were really helpful, so @ThePrettyDamned if you asked for a light roast each month I’m sure they’d be able to do that for you.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    Got 2 bags from Bean Smitten for my birthday, and they still have 250g beans.
  • AndyDAndyD Frets: 2
    I've been Hasbean subscriber for a long time - noticed the changes in the last year or so, first the price went up then the bag size reduced.  Parlly due to market costs I guess but maybe also Ozone beginning to drive more profits from the business.

I have been looking around for alternatives so maybe will try those suggested above.  Anyone got any others?  I quite like the subscription model, not too much thought required and some variety.
    AndyD said:
    I've been Hasbean subscriber for a long time - noticed the changes in the last year or so, first the price went up then the bag size reduced.  Parlly due to market costs I guess but maybe also Ozone beginning to drive more profits from the business.

I have been looking around for alternatives so maybe will try those suggested above.  Anyone got any others?  I quite like the subscription model, not too much thought required and some variety.
    Give Rave a try, and here is a trick…

You can subscribe up to 8 bags per delivery, “heck that’s a lot!”, use the promo code on their site for first time customer to get 50% off, and then cancel.  That way you get 8 bags for half price.  Go through that before re subscribe again with your usual quantities.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    I use bad hand in Bournemouth and Colombian coffee in soho.
  • AndyDAndyD Frets: 2
    Thanks both ^^ , will check these out too
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    I live literally 500 yards from a local coffee roaster so generally use them.
    They're good, though generally medium to dark roasts.
    I'm not sure what "spectacular" coffee would have to be to justify the title
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • JodyJamesJodyJames Frets: 36
    edited April 3
    I’ve now cancelled my HasBean/Ozone sub… my wife came home the other day with a bag from a local (Glasgow) roaster called Thomson’s - been going for 180 years seemingly, and this supposed coffee nerd had never heard of them. I’ve only tried this one coffee, but so far so good… and they do a subscription for lighter roasts which is a bit cheaper than HasBean if you get 1kg per month for £30.50 including postage. Seems like a lot of coffee but it’s about perfect for two cups a day for me.

https://www.thomsonscoffee.com/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    I still use Hasbean/Ozone - just got my first Ozone-branded pouch today as a matter of fact. As someone pointed out, Ozone actually took them over a long time ago though. The coffee is still very good, not the best in the world, but almost worth it.

I've looked around a little and prices are stupid everywhere, so probably not going to switch yet, but I am annoyed that Ozone roasts & posts on a Friday, because I almost never the coffee on the Saturday just because Royal Mail is generally useless. Because of the bank holidays I only just got last week's roast today. Wish they would change that aspect anyway - do it on a Wednesday and at least there would be a fair chance of getting it in time for the weekend.
    Whitecat said:
    I still use Hasbean/Ozone - just got my first Ozone-branded pouch today as a matter of fact. As someone pointed out, Ozone actually took them over a long time ago though. The coffee is still very good, not the best in the world, but almost worth it.

I've looked around a little and prices are stupid everywhere, so probably not going to switch yet, but I am annoyed that Ozone roasts & posts on a Friday, because I almost never the coffee on the Saturday just because Royal Mail is generally useless. Because of the bank holidays I only just got last week's roast today. Wish they would change that aspect anyway - do it on a Wednesday and at least there would be a fair chance of getting it in time for the weekend.
    Just try Rave for a while.

250g bags still.
    If you buy individual bags, it's as little as £7 for some single origin still. 
    There is also 50% off for 1st time subscribers.  That means for about £40 you get 2kg of coffee for the first month, then cancel. Go through that before re-sub.

This should cut the average cost per bag down quite significantly. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11791
    I know everyone has different tastes - especially when it comes to coffee - but Rave were our suppliers for our pub business and I really didn't like it.  Then again, I like Starbucks - so what do I know?!
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 189
    Dark Arts in Hackney is my weekly supplier.

https://www.darkartscoffee.co.uk/