Tried a Mark VII yesterday.

What's Hot
NerineNerine Frets: 2168
Went to the Gibson Garage (which was great, btw) and tried out a Boogie Mark VII. 

It was brilliant. 

The tones through headphones plugged straight into the back of it via the Cabclone IR+ were REALLY good. 

And then the tones through the 2x12 Rectifier cab it was sitting on… 

Well, just pretty epic. Not been fussed about amps for a long time but I’m very tempted to get one of these. 

Less fiddly than previous Mark amps and just straight up good sounds in all modes. 

VERY impressed. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4226
    Mk VII? Did I miss the Mk VI??!
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 846
    edited March 29
    lol - skipped it as its been over a decade since the 5.  Saw a vid on that.

• webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    Lewy said:
    Mk VII? Did I miss the Mk VI??!
    The JP2C was pretty much the Mark VI...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    Shit a brick, best part of £4k at peach.

I know people will buy them but to me that's why insane money for an amp.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    I played that one too.  Incredible - if I didn’t have a Mark IV I’d be buying one.  Mesa if anything are underrated and here days. 
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 717
    I have no talent to justify it, but really want a JP2C

Love the kemper profiles I have for it (top Jimi). 

I had the mk V head for a while … that was ace too. 

4k is a lot of cash …
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    There seems this real aversion for spending serious money on amps where blowing £4-5k on a CS guitar etc seems almost normal , a seriously good  amp is a great investment 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • allenallen Frets: 710
    I've been meaning to take a trip to london just to play that amp too.

Were they helpful and let you give it a good try? or were they a bit snooty?
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 717
    sweepy said:
    There seems this real aversion for spending serious money on amps where blowing £4-5k on a CS guitar etc seems almost normal , a seriously good  amp is a great investment 
    You know … that’s a very good point. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24369
    edited March 29
    sweepy said:
    Both are mad prices. 

Depreciation on Mesa amps is awful. £3200 for a Dual Rec, can get a used one for near £1000 with some patience.

That’s not an investment. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1133
    sweepy said:
    Both are mad prices. 

Depreciation on Mesa amps is awful. £3200 for a Dual Rec, can get a used one for near £1000 with some patience.

I’m with you. I can afford it, but I would never spend £4K on either a guitar or an amp. Most of the gear I buy is used. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    I've had my Mark V 35 combo since 2018 and would replace it with another or a Mark VII in a heartbeat. The fat mode on the clean channel is a perfect pedal platform and the gain modes take you from light crunch to classic rock to metal easily. The tone controls and graphic EQ can make huge tonal changes with small movements of the controls.

I think they are really good amps.

• NerineNerine Frets: 2168
    sweepy said:
    Both are mad prices. 

If you’re out gigging regularly, it pays for itself. 
    Nerine said:
    sweepy said:
    Both are mad prices. 

You must be doing some really well-paid gigs then!
    Nerine said:
    Not necessarily, but in previous years I’ve done perhaps 60-70 gigs per year, usually getting about £80-100 per gig. 

In that scenario you can buy it on a 12 month 0% deal and the gigs easily cover the instalments. 

I’m not saying the amp isn’t expensive. It is. Too expensive. But gigging can offset a fair bit of spending if you’re out regularly. It definitely makes it easier to justify if you’re buying something that will get a lot of use whilst making cash in the process. 

That's a lot of gigs. Fair play to you. My gigging just about pays for strings and pedals, with a used amp maybe every couple of years. I'm lucky to clear £60 per gig after expenses. There's five of us plus often a sound guy to pay.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    By that logic it makes sense and I've done the same in the past. 

I bought a custom shop strat nearly 30 years ago that was, at the time an obscene amount of cash for a guitar. I was gigging a lot and being paid well so it was a no brainer for me.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24369
    Nerine said:
    Nerine said:
    Not necessarily, but in previous years I’ve done perhaps 60-70 gigs per year, usually getting about £80-100 per gig. 

In that scenario you can buy it on a 12 month 0% deal and the gigs easily cover the instalments. 

I’m not saying the amp isn’t expensive. It is. Too expensive. But gigging can offset a fair bit of spending if you’re out regularly. It definitely makes it easier to justify if you’re buying something that will get a lot of use whilst making cash in the process. 

If you are earning £7000 a year from gigging then being able to tax offset some purchases is a good approach.

But most people don’t even get 1 gig a week, let alone your average of more than one a week! 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4226
    Nerine said:
    Nerine said:

But in that scenario, it's not paying for itself at all, it's sucking up nearly 70% of your gig earnings. It would only be paying for itself if it cost 4k and either removed 4k of cost or brought in 4k of extra earnings. 
    Lewy said:
    Nerine said:
    Nerine said:

But in that scenario, it's not paying for itself at all, it's sucking up nearly 70% of your gig earnings. It would only be paying for itself if it cost 4k and either removed 4k of cost or brought in 4k of extra earnings. 
    Semantics. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom