What's Hot
2»

Comments

• relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    Nerine said:
    Lewy said:
    Nerine said:
    Nerine said:
    If you’re out gigging regularly, it pays for itself. 
    You must be doing some really well-paid gigs then!
    Not necessarily, but in previous years I’ve done perhaps 60-70 gigs per year, usually getting about £80-100 per gig. 

In that scenario you can buy it on a 12 month 0% deal and the gigs easily cover the instalments. 

I’m not saying the amp isn’t expensive. It is. Too expensive. But gigging can offset a fair bit of spending if you’re out regularly. It definitely makes it easier to justify if you’re buying something that will get a lot of use whilst making cash in the process. 

But in that scenario, it's not paying for itself at all, it's sucking up nearly 70% of your gig earnings. It would only be paying for itself if it cost 4k and either removed 4k of cost or brought in 4k of extra earnings. 
    Semantics. 
    Spot on.

Actually this has predictably descended into a "I wouldn't pay that for an amp" and "the price of gear is shocking" thread.

I was the first to mention the price so I apologise for my part in it.

What this should be is a "I tried a new amp and like it thread." 

If the OP likes the amp and can afford it then fair play to him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    Lewy said:
    Nerine said:
    Nerine said:
    Not necessarily, but in previous years I’ve done perhaps 60-70 gigs per year, usually getting about £80-100 per gig. 

In that scenario you can buy it on a 12 month 0% deal and the gigs easily cover the instalments. 

I’m not saying the amp isn’t expensive. It is. Too expensive. But gigging can offset a fair bit of spending if you’re out regularly. It definitely makes it easier to justify if you’re buying something that will get a lot of use whilst making cash in the process. 

But in that scenario, it's not paying for itself at all, it's sucking up nearly 70% of your gig earnings. It would only be paying for itself if it cost 4k and either removed 4k of cost or brought in 4k of extra earnings. 
    you should only gig as a solo unaccompanied vocalist to maximise earnings
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4226
    Nerine said:
    Lewy said:
    Nerine said:
    Nerine said:

Semantics. 
    Admins, I want to report an antisemantic comment......
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24371
    Nerine said:
    Lewy said:
    Nerine said:
    Nerine said:

Semantics. 
    I don’t think it is.

If you could still have done the gig at the same income levels without the new amp then choosing to use the money to buy the amp is just having a side hustle to buy new toys.

Nowt wrong with that but that is not the same as something paying for itself.

A carpenter buying a nail gun to let him do double the amount of work in a day would be an example of a tool paying for itself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2168
    edited March 31
    ‘Kin hell. 

I tried the amp. I liked it. 

It’s easier to justify if you gig a lot. I’ve already said it’s too expensive. 

Why is this being picked apart? Fucking hell. It’s like, passing comment. Doesn’t need analysing to the hilt. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24371
    Nobody is having a go for you liking or even buying the amp! It’s your money!
    It’s not even close to what I’ve spent on a bass.

But “pays for itself” is a matter of fact, not opinion. 

Your accountant would agree with me in that, not you! 

If you love the amp, buy it! Enjoy it! Sit on it naked!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31607
    Nerine said:
    ‘Kin hell. 

I tried the amp. I liked it. 

It’s easier to justify if you gig a lot. I’ve already said it’s too expensive. 

Why is this being picked apart? Fucking hell. It’s like, passing comment. Doesn’t need analysing to the hilt. 
    Exactly. Plenty of people on here would happily have a four grand Telecaster, which comprises a few hundred quid in parts and literally zero R&D. 

A modern Boogie amp is NASA level in comparison. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 717
    Oddly this whole thread has made me rethink my guitar to amp value. 

Not saying I’m fundamentally going to spend more on an amp, or have less cash sat in guitars … but making me think about it. 
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    It odd that people will spend 10 x or more than that on a car to get from A to B in but wont spend a fair amount of money for something that will bring enjoyment and probably make the band or whatever sound better in the long run 
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 717
    I’m periodically thankful I have a mini collection of electric guitars, rather than violins, pianos or otherwise. They get spendy. 

Back slightly on topic, I’d much prefer a head over a combo. More the aesthetic than anything. 

JP2C head ideally (the two graphic EQs appeal). Plus there’s a chance of getting one used  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom