Raves, free partys , do you remember the olden days?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3462
edited March 29 in Off Topic
I am sat here reminiscing the 90's, partly becauise my car is fooked and I cant go anywhere, but also because , well , I miss the olden days.

Anyone else into the dance scene back in the day?  

Video to jog memories.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11771
    I'm a bit too young, I was in the "Britpop" years instead.

Certainly the average person on ecstasy is a lot nicer than the average drunk, so it wins the "substances" competition.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2495
    edited March 29
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    elstoof said:
    Seen this before, love the 2 that obviously had 1 too many disco biscuits.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1455
    Ja. House of God is where I had my first pill. Whooo. What a night. 
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2556
    Yes! Some of the best days of my life.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2495
    elstoof said:
    Seen this before, love the 2 that obviously had 1 too many disco biscuits.
    I understand they’re still there, dancing in that field to this very day
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    Late 80s early 90s were great, I preferred the Ozrics scene but the rave stuff was still great fun, especially the pills, trips and all nighters
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14268
    tFB Trader
    Crikey - I was to old - married by then - I recall the late 70's and early/mid 80's as my young free and single days
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2955
    Ozrics for me too, real drums over beats any day. Merv and Joie were great in both incarnations though. The Mid Wales party scene went trance and it became nauseating at times. I preferred back of a flat bed trailer stuff. New age crusty didn't help.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 359
    edited March 30
    Ozrics , eat static, Megadog and Whirligig for me. great days.

monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 650
    edited March 29
    Most of my mates were into it and would listen to dance music all the time. There were small raves locally and big events like Rezerection etc.
    I never really got into the music that much but enjoyed plenty pills and parties all the same!
    Good memories. 
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    Oh yeah! Fab days and the best days. Free parties, raves and a feeling of pure freedom and banging techno and trance. Heady days for sure. I reckon I finally came down in the early 2000s. I’d do it again. Definitely.

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    I missed the early 90s. 

Went to my first rave at Linford Film Studios in Battersea in ‘95. It was life changing. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 3010
    It sorted of gained popularity about 88/89 from memory but had started maybe a year before that. I was slightly too old at 22, already into the steady girlfriend and mortgage times, but loved the music and wished I'd have been born a couple of years later.

We'd been going to the pub since 15 and the old 80's nightclub scene was what we did at weekends. Holidays to the Med, which everyone seemed to do as a right of passage. Possibly that vibe was brought back to the UK and when the drugs came with it the whole thing took off. 

We were burnt out through beer at 21. Drugs weren't a thing for us. Everyone just seemed to do the same thing - hit the pub at 15/16, Ibiza, Benidorm, Zante or Magaluf in the summer, get into a relationship in the early 20's. Always felt too old to be in a club at 22/23 with so many youngsters around!  Been there, done that!

A 22/23 year old waving their arms around, shouting 'Aceeeeed' would've looked bloody stupid. 

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4101
    Anyone who buys illegal drugs might as well have cit the fingers off the drug mule's children themselves.   Despicable that anyone actually wants to proactively fuel the demand for that kind of supply chain.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1217
    hell yeah. feel very lucky to have been 18 in 1990 as i went off to uni. Prob the most widespread, peaceful, happy, energised youth culture ever. This pretty much sums up friday nights 90-94 for me.

Dont worry, be silly.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 650
    edited March 30
    Anyone who buys illegal drugs might as well have cit the fingers off the drug mule's children themselves.   Despicable that anyone actually wants to proactively fuel the demand for that kind of supply chain.  
    You're right. Almost as bad as the legal drug trade!

Ecstasy was mainly produced in labs in Amsterdam. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6492
    I was too conservative, too into guitars, and possibly also too young for illegal raves.

Can’t say there’s much appeal to me in an unlicensed music event with no risk assessment/ fire precautions/ proper security plus of course you have no idea quite what you’re buying when you buy drugs from some Manc gangster.

I am sure it was a real rush, an electric time in some people’s lives…and more power to their glowsticks…but I guess you had to be there; I wasn’t.

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3462
    edited March 30
    I was too conservative, too into guitars, and possibly also too young for illegal raves.

Can’t say there’s much appeal to me in an unlicensed music event with no risk assessment/ fire precautions/ proper security plus of course you have no idea quite what you’re buying when you buy drugs from some Manc gangster.

I am sure it was a real rush, an electric time in some people’s lives…and more power to their glowsticks…but I guess you had to be there; I wasn’t.
    Raves became illegal in 94, and that was simply by way of making it illegal to be in a crowd of a few people or more listening to repetative beats, it had nothing to do with music though, or drugs, our government dont like gatherings of people on that scale, the same as when they outlawed free festivals in the 80's and clamped down on the travelling community, I guess these things just dont conform.
    MDMA was legal in the 80's, it was used in relationship therapy.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 238
    "Can’t say there’s much appeal to me in an unlicensed music event with no risk assessment/ fire precautions/ proper security plus of course you have no idea quite what you’re buying when you buy drugs from some Manc gangster."

I hope that is you speaking as the person you now. If you were thinking like that as a teenager then there was a career for you as an actuary or you have a genetic predisposition to become a health and safety officer.

Everyone knows they are immortal until they turn 25. No hangovers, ridiculous motorcycles, suicidal sports, open air festivals with no tent, travel with a passport and a toothbrush. 

Granted it's not a good look on someone in the present day, like say Michael Gove, although there are entire Ibiza rave package tours for the over 60s who want to relive their yoof. If their knees can take it - good on 'em.
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.