Addictive drums or EZ drummer

What's Hot
As a non drummer looking to put some songs together, which would you recommend, obviously I want the drums to sound good
when it comes to the whole mix later on, so which would you recommend?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BodBod Frets: 1316
    EZdrummer without a doubt.  The MIDI library capabilities and song construction tools are incredible
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 682
    I've only used EZ but can say it is really simple and sounds great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 642
    All modern drum VSTs sound good in reality. I echo the comments above though - EZDrummer for the tools and features. With multi ouput routing you can mix and process to get any sound you like or use the built-in mixes and kits for an out of the box sound for demos.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4648
    Does EZ Drummer have many odd time signature midi tracks, or do I then need to purchase other midi packs?

• jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 642
    edited March 30
    Does EZ Drummer have many odd time signature midi tracks, or do I then need to purchase other midi packs?

There are some built in though for a decent selection you would need to go for a pack that was specifically targeted at prog and less common signatures. You can see from this screenshot I only have two packs I added one being a prog kit and one being a metal midi pack but the list of available sigs in my database is shown top right. Midi packs are great in that you can get them from anyone and anywho if you have a particular niche you are going for and just add them to the library locations in EZD3.

• guitarajguitaraj Frets: 47
    I love the Tap2Find function in EZDrummer (although not having tried Addictive Drums I can’t comment on whether it has the same feature)

You tap in a rough version of the beat you want and it offers up midi patterns which generally have pretty good dynamics - great for getting a vibe going quickly
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    guitaraj said:
    I love the Tap2Find function in EZDrummer (although not having tried Addictive Drums I can’t comment on whether it has the same feature)

You tap in a rough version of the beat you want and it offers up midi patterns which generally have pretty good dynamics - great for getting a vibe going quickly
    Same!  It's a great place to start with a song.  Also, regarding MIDI library content, the power hand feature means you can find something close and switch it from hi-hat to toms, for example.  It's so very flexible I can't rate it highly enough.

I do all my drum editing and song construction in the VST, set up multi-outs and then render the individual "mics" to audio tracks for further processing. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    Im def not a good drum programmer...I have both and find I use EZD every time...I dont get on with the AD interface

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • guitarajguitaraj Frets: 47
    I liked EZ drummer so much I upped the ante to Superior Drummer when there was an offer on a while back. A fantastic piece of software but it doesn’t half take up a lot of storage space if you want all the mic positions. I think EZ drummer has the perfect balance of sound and usable interface
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 988
    I’ve only ever used EZ Drummer 2 (very good) & then upgraded to Superior Drummer 3, which is excellent.

Looks like you can ‘Try it Now’ & get 10 days free trial: https://www.toontrack.com/product/ezdrummer-3/

• FezFez Frets: 528
    The EZ Drummer midi packs are often on offers so that's when to pick them up. I can't comment on AD but I find EX drummer really good and easy to use.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 682
    Fez said:
    The EZ Drummer midi packs are often on offers so that's when to pick them up. I can't comment on AD but I find EX drummer really good and easy to use.
    Yeah, that's the thing. Once you get EZ you get loads of offers. Really no need to pay full price. 
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    spark240 said:
    ...I dont get on with the AD interface
    It is a major turn off for me as well. That that the beats you get with each pack never seem very usable.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    EZ Drummer but the full fat Drummer is even better.
  • KultscharKultschar Frets: 46
    How easy is Superior Drummer to use for a non-drummer.   Presume it has MIDI patterns like EZ
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    Kultschar said:
    How easy is Superior Drummer to use for a non-drummer.   Presume it has MIDI patterns like EZ
    Yes it does.
    I find it more flexible and not that much more complex.
    I have to say that EZD3 is a vast improvement over 2.  I'd agree with the statement that SD3 is better that EZD2, but version 3 has narrowed that gap a little.  I always used SD until EZD3 came out because I found EZD2's sounds too processed and instantly recognisable in a mix, but I'm quite happy with 3 now.  I'd say SD4 is probably around the corner and will include some of the newer features and more.  It's quite exciting to think where they'll take it.

It does really depend on what you want from it.  If you want full control of everything, then SD is the way to go.  If you're an non-drummer/non-producer wanting a excellent songwriting tool with great sounds on a budget, then EZD would be fine. 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2199
    edited April 4
    octatonic said:
    Kultschar said:
    Yes it does.
    I find it more flexible and not that much more complex.
    Yes, I've got both and agree. I'm using Superiour Drummer (SD3) almost exclusively now for drums, and sometimes use EZ Drummer sounds hosted within SD3.

I had to get a new bigger external hard drive though, because the SD3 libraries are pretty massive.

It's not a competition.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2299

EZDrummer. Once I know the tempo and arrangement I just record the segments I like as sequences and stick them together I also use live percussions instruments and manual hits as part of the mixes. I do separate cymbal mixes and bounce all the tracks then mix them then roughly master them then load them back in.
    Example album track

• EZ Drummer users: do you make the arrangement in EZ and then paste the whole thing into the DAW, or do you drop in separate sections and arrange it in the DAW?