Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4716
    I think they look good and not a bad price but I'm sure someone will be along soon to say that the QC is crap, that the Chinese can't make guitars, the fretboard should be rosewood and the prices are a joke.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • EsoterickEsoterick Frets: 38
    rlw said:
    I think they look good and not a bad price but I'm sure someone will be along soon to say that the QC is crap, that the Chinese can't make guitars, the fretboard should be rosewood and the prices are a joke.

I'm mainly curious if these are meant to be better or worse than Gibson Tributes given they are the same price.

Also the Tribute I owned had terrible QC and the QC checklist looked like it had been ticked as an afterthought once everything had been "checked" and it was ready to be boxed up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2402
    rlw said:
    No one's disputing the Chinese factories can make great guitars.

What's baffling me is that these are coming out of the same factory that's been making nearly identical Epiphones for literally half the price for 10 years, so how can they justify doubling the price just by removing the scarf joints and changing the headstock?
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10563
    tFB Trader
    I think the very clear strategy is that Epiphone is going to be the 'everyman's Gibson' ... that Gibson don't really want to be 'doing' with lower priced models. 
    timmypix said:
    rlw said:

What's baffling me is that these are coming out of the same factory that's been making nearly identical Epiphones for literally half the price for 10 years, so how can they justify doubling the price just by removing the scarf joints and changing the headstock?

And prices have nothing to do with what you get for them ... they are to do with what you are willing to pay for what you want.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3518
    I think the very clear strategy is that Epiphone is going to be the 'everyman's Gibson' ... that Gibson don't really want to be 'doing' with lower priced models. 
    timmypix said:
    rlw said:

And prices have nothing to do with what you get for them ... they are to do with what you are willing to pay for what you want.  
    Epiphone already were everymans gibson, they seem to be pricing themselves out of that station.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9660
    The guitars that are derived from the original “1959” Epiphones have two-piece backs rather than a veneered butcher’s block. When I bought mine for £749 I think - the (arguably) better wood, Gibson Probuckers, decent switch/jack that wouldn’t need to be replaced, along with a decent hard case seemed good value compared to the Standards which were around £500 at the time. However, this one for £1200…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27138
    edited March 30
    They'll be 1k within 6 months, which is probably fair. These have the proper headstock and seem to be built right, so people will pay for that. 

People need to understand that mass inflation across the board has happened, which is a de facto devaluation of western currencies. That's nothing to do with Epiphone or Gibson. But either way, when you consider a multi-piece body, naff headstock LP Custom was 450 when I was working a Saturday job in a guitar shop 20+ years ago I don't think these even look particularly expensive. 

The Custom would be my pick. I'd have a white one :) 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2909
    The Custom would be tempting at around a grand, if the neck profile is a proper C shape and they dress the frets properly on it. Then again something MIJ would probably be a similar price (I'm guessing, haven't looked at prices in a while) and probably a better guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DaiganzenDaiganzen Frets: 102
    if they were sub 1K then maybe, i do see an inflation in Guitar Prices. But this is silly and its about margins. How much does it cost to get a guitar made in china ? how much to ship it to its destination country? This is about making a quick buck as Gibson have gone through multiple bankruptcies 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10563
    tFB Trader
    They'll be 1k within 6 months, which is probably fair. These have the proper headstock and seem to be built right, so people will pay for that. 

People need to understand that mass inflation across the board has happened, which is a de facto devaluation of western currencies. That's nothing to do with Epiphone or Gibson. But either way, when you consider a multi-piece body, naff headstock LP Custom was 450 when I was working a Saturday job in a guitar shop 20+ years ago I don't think these even look particularly expensive. 

Using the Bank of England inflation calculator a £450 Epi in 2004 would cost £777.59 today. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Using the Bank of England inflation calculator a £450 Epi in 2004 would cost £777.59 today. 
    So accounting for a hardcase, miles better pickups (same as USA Custom?), better wiring, better wood, and the right headstock it's about right around 1k? 

I'd also note that the BofE inflation calc uses UK CPI as its basis, which excludes various elements related to cost of housing, which is hilarious. But I don't want to turn every thread into economics... :D 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9660

These have the proper headstock and seem to be built right, so people will pay for that. 
    Er… it says “Epiphone” on it.

If I had £1200 to spend on a Les Paul now, I would save up for another three months and look for a used Gibson.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • Pete.RPete.R Frets: 396
    timmypix said:

Yep, they are going into 'MiJ-territory' on the prices
    Many of my Fujigen made guitars were less €€€

True €piphans need to pay for the correct headstock-shape.....
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4933
    edited March 30
    rlw said:

I'm struggling with the idea of £1200 for an Epi.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7157
    Cesar teased a few of these already on his Instagram this week 
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
  • floeighty2floeighty2 Frets: 159
    If anyone wants a £1200 quid SG I have a in new condition one in the classifieds haha
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3518

So accounting for a hardcase, miles better pickups (same as USA Custom?), better wiring, better wood, and the right headstock it's about right around 1k? 

I'd also note that the BofE inflation calc uses UK CPI as its basis, which excludes various elements related to cost of housing, which is hilarious. But I don't want to turn every thread into economics... :D 
    Accounting for automated production, cheaper availability of materials, cheaper transport costs, wages not increasing with inflation across the board, modern manufacturing techniques etc, you cannot rely on inflation alone to make an accurate conclusion of cost.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6728
    timmypix said:
    rlw said:

You should see the different prices for a bottle of single malt made of the same ingredients in the same distillery. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ALRALR Frets: 122
    edited March 30
    Epiphone need a budget brand for people who can’t afford the real thing
    My music blog:
    http://alrmusicblog.blogspot.com/ (updated Feb 2023)
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    robgilmo said:

Accounting for automated production, cheaper availability of materials, cheaper transport costs, wages not increasing with inflation across the board, modern manufacturing techniques etc, you cannot rely on inflation alone to make an accurate conclusion of cost.
    Except that isn’t how economics work. Also have you seen the prices of *everything* lately..??