More “Inspired by Gibson Custom Shop” Epiphones…

What's Hot

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3517
    robgilmo said:
    They'll be 1k within 6 months, which is probably fair. These have the proper headstock and seem to be built right, so people will pay for that. 

People need to understand that mass inflation across the board has happened, which is a de facto devaluation of western currencies. That's nothing to do with Epiphone or Gibson. But either way, when you consider a multi-piece body, naff headstock LP Custom was 450 when I was working a Saturday job in a guitar shop 20+ years ago I don't think these even look particularly expensive. 

The Custom would be my pick. I'd have a white one :) 

Using the Bank of England inflation calculator a £450 Epi in 2004 would cost £777.59 today. 
    So accounting for a hardcase, miles better pickups (same as USA Custom?), better wiring, better wood, and the right headstock it's about right around 1k? 

I'd also note that the BofE inflation calc uses UK CPI as its basis, which excludes various elements related to cost of housing, which is hilarious. But I don't want to turn every thread into economics... :D 
    Accounting for automated production, cheaper availability of materials, cheaper transport costs, wages not increasing with inflation across the board, modern manufacturing techniques etc, you cannot rely on inflation alone to make an accurate conclusion of cost.
    Except that isn’t how economics work. Also have you seen the prices of *everything* lately..??
    It depends on what you are trying to calculate, you cannot simply say it costs this because inflation is that in comparison to what something cost years ago, its not just inflation that has changed.
    I have seen the prices of things lately, not everything has doubled in price, and anything that has in my view is questionable. 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7049
    tFB Trader
    The price has got nothing (well not much) to do with inflation and everything to do with market positioning. 

Very few can afford a £4K or whatever Gibson Les Paul so these provide something very similar for a lot less money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5778
    Seems that Gibson have decided that they can’t/don’t want to compete at the lower end of the market with Epiphone. And that is probably wise, they simply won’t win in a race to the bottom and even if they could, that’s not really winning. 

So trying to build value into the brand and ‘win’ the middle ground market is the only option left. And whether us old farts like it or not, the £1k to £1.4K bracket is middle ground now. They are at least offering the upgrades they can to try and justify the climb. How much the market will let charge will be seen soon enough. I think the folks that are predicting a 20% drop are about right. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11873

And prices have nothing to do with what you get for them ... they are to do with what you are willing to pay for what you want.  
    Precisely.  Which is why one will never darken my door :-)
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4716
    Apropos the price, these are shipped in a container from China to the USA and Europe.

Shipping costs had already doubled in the last two years.  I know you can get a lot in a container but think about it.

Costs had virtually doubled in the period up to November and then....

Shipping costs have risen by more than 300% since November amid the disruption caused to freight in the Red Sea from attacks, according to fresh data.

The most widely used measure of freight cost, the Shanghai Containerised Freight Index (SCFI), hit $3,101 (£2,429) per container from $2,871 (£2,249) last Friday, according to data given to Sky News by global logistics company DSV.

It meant that the SCFI, which measures the average cost of a 20ft-long container being shipped from Shanghai to Europe, was 310% up on the level seen at the start of November.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1863
    `ooooh! Shit just got real.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    ALR said:
    Epiphone need a budget brand for people who can’t afford the real thing
    Didn’t they try that a few years ago with the Baldwin brand ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DaiBDaiB Frets: 10
    ALR said:
    Epiphone need a budget brand for people who can’t afford the real thing
    Underrated comment
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pete.RPete.R Frets: 396
    edited March 30
    rlw said:
    Apropos the price, these are shipped in a container from China to the USA and Europe.

Shipping costs had already doubled in the last two years.  I know you can get a lot in a container but think about it.

Costs had virtually doubled in the period up to November and then....

Shipping costs have risen by more than 300% since November amid the disruption caused to freight in the Red Sea from attacks, according to fresh data.

The most widely used measure of freight cost, the Shanghai Containerised Freight Index (SCFI), hit $3,101 (£2,429) per container from $2,871 (£2,249) last Friday, according to data given to Sky News by global logistics company DSV.

It meant that the SCFI, which measures the average cost of a 20ft-long container being shipped from Shanghai to Europe, was 310% up on the level seen at the start of November.

according to thomann: more than 1500 guitars fit into one container

Now do the math......
    so the shipping went up from $0,70 to $2,0 / each guitar

• RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 218
    edited March 31
    A premium Epiphone that’s less than half the price of its Gibson counterpart feels like something that will sell well. It’s been done before with mij Epiphone/Orville of course, although Japanese factories had far better reputations.

Will Gibson will cut back on the tribute models? Absolute bargains to be had 2nd hand there.

Talking of 2nd hand, plenty of LP standards can be got for £1500 these days, incl ones from early 2000s. A lot of guitar for that money imo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2454
    I'd be interested to see if this is Gibson getting rid of "low end" Gibsons so they can focus their attention on £4k+ reissues, which per guitar are probably vastly more profitable than £900 tributes etc.

£1300 is USA Fender territory, and not that far off a used Les Paul Standard, so it'll be interesting to see if the market accepts it.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7157
    I'd probably buy a new ESP LTD and get a better guitar for the money rather than pay for an Epiphone with an open-book headstock design.

Or buy a used Gibson for less. 

Either of these two options makes more sense to my wallet. 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3517
    It looks like Epiphone are phazing out their cheper models, no more standards, only a small few in the 500 quid bracket, specials etc being their cheap guitars now.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 138
    edited April 1
    So perhaps they will reintroduce the "Kalamazoo" brand to cover the lower cost end of the market.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7157
    So perhaps they will reintroduce the "Kalamazoo" brand to cover the lower cost end of the market.
    New budget line 'Authentic' brand name range is coming 
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10563
    tFB Trader
    This ...

is currently just a tenner more than  ... this 

Which is why Epiphone probably need to ditch the cheap end of their range ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3987
    edited April 2
    Official video up…

https://youtu.be/SUqSbOfSzI0?si=oPyH9CfkYYVCHTq4

Les Paul 59 & Custom, SG Custom, 355 and also J45, J200 and a J180!
  • NCoNCo Frets: 163
    Official video up…

https://youtu.be/SUqSbOfSzI0?si=oPyH9CfkYYVCHTq4

Les Paul 59 & Custom, SG Custom, 355 and also J45, J200 and a J180!
    That person is so damn cheesy, I wouldn't buy anything off him.

For that money, I expect a full nitro finish, and a real maple cap instead of a veneer.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LessPaulLessPaul Frets: 67
    edited April 2
    It does seem crazy paying in excess of a grand for an Epiphone, but to be  fair they have upped their game with these higher end inspired models. 
    I have one of the 58 korina V’s, fit and finish is flawless, real korina , Gibson burstbucker pickups, CTS / Switchcraft / Mallory electrics, retro hardcase. 
     A fraction of the price for a Gibson custom shop one’ where all your  basically getting is a prettier grained Korina’ finished in nitro’ rosewood board and a Gibson logo on the headstock? Not sure wether that warrants several thousands of pounds more tbh??

I do like the look of that  new 63 SG custom, it  looks ace!

I bought one of the earlier  inspired SG custom two pickup/ black models, solely to re create the three pickup custom albeit the vibrola and white pickguard.

https://i.imgur.com/e5QKYXF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/b91JBPq.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 777
    Always wanted epiphone to do another es 355. Now it's here I'm not 100% sold. Price is obviously one factor, but not sure I am a fan of those fake VOS looks they do on epiphone. Something about the them looks off, and I'm not too keen on the shade of red they've done (based on that one YouTube video anyway).

Still open to being persuaded by the likely avalanche of YouTube videos incoming.