PR bullshit at its very best

What's Hot
TanninTannin Frets: 5463
From a retailer's website (probably copied verbatim from Gibson's site, but either way who cares?)

Renowned for its warm, rich tone and remarkable clarity, the Gibson Dove remains a favourite among musicians, including icons like Elvis Presley and John Lennon.

And here I was thinking they were dead. Silly me.

But there are plenty more such gems around, please feel free to add your favourites. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6719

Spelling as per the website

„Tone always comes from your fingers, your heart and straight out of your soul.“

I’m into vintage gear my whole lifetime. Always corious how amps, guitars and pedals work, trying to understand and getting deeper into that materia, learn to distinguish between a *magical touch* and an interpreted into *Voodoo* we might perceive while playin some *holy grail* stuff.

And that website was: Isle of Tone. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5463
    Tone comes out of the fingers, so buy my pedal. Hmmm ... I can see how that makes sense. (Not.) :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6877
    Tannin said:
    From a retailer's website (probably copied verbatim from Gibson's site, but either way who cares?)

Renowned for its warm, rich tone and remarkable clarity, the Gibson Dove remains a favourite among musicians, including icons like Elvis Presley and John Lennon.

When you die you can’t change your mind, so whatever was your favourite at the time would still be true today ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Tannin said:

But there are plenty more such gems around, please feel free to add your favourites. 

I'm guessing that's AI generated - a selection of generic words which say nothing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14455
    mrkb said:
    Tannin said:
    Elvis Presley
    When you die, you can’t change your mind, so, whatever was your favourite at the time would still be true today ;)
    In Elvis's case, that would probably have been peanut butter.

IIRC, Elvis did not actually choose the Dove acoustic guitar. It was presented to him by Gibson. A quick publicity photoshoot and, hey, presto!, Dove sales shoot up.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    Did anyone ever mention which make of toilet or burger Elvis was sitting on and eating when he died ?
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7037
    tFB Trader
    Email received the other day:

"Since the beginning of its history, the electric guitar has seen thousands of actors, shapes, and colors.

It has witnessed wars, natural disasters, and the gentrification in our countries.

But it has also flown across all the skies of the world, encountered diverse cultures, and blended with all possible artistic influences.

Throughout history, the luthier has been tasked with giving a face and a sound to an instrument that many find indispensable for work.

The luthier has always faced the challenge posed by musicians to create something that could best express their art."

I assume this was AI generated. Or LSD generated I can't decide which.

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5761
    It is Easter, maybe they are risen? 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11802
    Did anyone ever mention which make of toilet or burger Elvis was sitting on and eating when he died ?
    If Gibson made khazies...
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    soma1975 said:

„Tone always comes from your fingers, your heart and straight out of your soul.“

Missed a trick should have used plural. Would have been more entertaining 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11802
    slacker said:
    soma1975 said:

„Tone always comes from your fingers, your heart and straight out of your arsehole.“

Missed a trick should have used plural. Would have been more entertaining 
    I hope this helps.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    Tannin said:

I've never associated the Dove with John Lennon, although it's possible he had one. I knew Elvis had one, or was at least given it, but he's hardly renowned as a guitarist (although he could play).

Equally surprising is that a musician who did very much use one - to the point she wore it out, I've seen it up close - is not mentioned... KT Tunstall. But perhaps that's because she's from the 21st century.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 665
    ICBM said:
    Tannin said:

I've never associated the Dove with John Lennon, although it's possible he had one. I knew Elvis had one, or was at least given it, but he's hardly renowned as a guitarist (although he could play).

Equally surprising is that a musician who did very much use one - to the point she wore it out, I've seen it up close - is not mentioned... KT Tunstall. But perhaps that's because she's from the 21st century.
    Not really on the same level as elvis and lennon though. 
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited March 30
    Offset said:
    If Gibson made khazies...
    Great idea for a Carlsberg advert 
    You already have the Gibson Garage world wide.
    You could have Gibson Bogs PortaLoos  Dunies on every street corner  :#
    More ways to make money out of old shite.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fiddlesticks_Fiddlesticks_ Frets: 273
    ICBM said:
    Tannin said:

I've never associated the Dove with John Lennon, although it's possible he had one. 
    I thought the same thing. The acoustic that I associate Lennon with is the Gibson J-160E. To my knowledge he's never been pictured or filmed with a Dove at all. So not only is it rubbish because he isn't around for it to remain a favourite, but also because it wasn't when he was.
  • CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 208

I don't think he was sitting on a burger.
    Armitage Beef Shanks?
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 640

'The New Les Paul Custom – The ultimate in solid body guitars. A new, revolutionary body design, exquisite craftsmanship and deluxe features combine in making the Les Paul Custom. The ultra-thin, hand contoured, delicately balanced design adjusts into a natural, comfortable playing position for any guitarist. Has an extra thin neck with low, smooth frets which cause players to term it . . . "The Fretless Wonder.”'

From a 1961 issue of P.T.M, a magazine for instrument retailers. Given the year, the guitar in question is probably what we now know as the SG.

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    edited March 31
    Nuno’s recent rig rundown, a RAT into a Boss GT8 and then holding up his fingers at the end to say most of his time comes from those, will have a lot of the PR crowd sweating on how to sell the next big thing…
  • CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 208
    Nuno’s recent rig rundown, a RAT into a Boss GT8 and then holding up his fingers at the end to say most of his time comes from those, will have a lot of the PR crowd sweating on how to sell the next big thing…

I doubt a virtuoso sounding incredible through basic or 'outdated' gear is going to stop the majority of non-virtuosos buying the next best thing in the hope they will sound better. Some of us need all the help we can get!