PR bullshit at its very best

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1349
    edited March 31
    Nuno’s recent rig rundown, a RAT into a Boss GT8 and then holding up his fingers at the end to say most of his time comes from those, will have a lot of the PR crowd sweating on how to sell the next big thing…
    thread derail warning - but I thought Nuno would be using his own Randall signature amps on tour - but nope - Marshall JCM2000s - and his tone stack settings are presence, treble and mid at 1 and bass on 4...? Anyone know the reason?

...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 666
    Nuno’s recent rig rundown, a RAT into a Boss GT8 and then holding up his fingers at the end to say most of his time comes from those, will have a lot of the PR crowd sweating on how to sell the next big thing…

I doubt a virtuoso sounding incredible through basic or 'outdated' gear is going to stop the majority of non-virtuosos buying the next best thing in the hope they will sound more like the virtuoso. Some of us need all the help we can get!

;) 
  • AirmilesAirmiles Frets: 41
    I'd think this is up there (no disrespect to the OP as this is the manufacturer's copy)...

Upholstery applied with natural hide glue for superior acoustic response
  • BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 136
    Litterick said:

'The New Les Paul Custom – The ultimate in solid body guitars. A new, revolutionary body design, exquisite craftsmanship and deluxe features combine in making the Les Paul Custom. The ultra-thin, hand contoured, delicately balanced design adjusts into a natural, comfortable playing position for any guitarist. Has an extra thin neck with low, smooth frets which cause players to term it . . . "The Fretless Wonder.”'

From a 1961 issue of P.T.M, a magazine for instrument retailers. Given the year, the guitar in question is probably what we now know as the SG.

Is "delicately balanced" another way of saying "Let go of it and the neck will hit the floor"?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 747
    edited April 1
    Slightly off-thread but anyone who is working or has worked for the NHS will recognise NHSspeak.

Standard NHSspeak is used by managers to confuse and isolate the unitiated in documents, meetings and general conversation. It is more common when managers are working in packs and encounter normal people.

Here's an example of Standard NHSspeak -

“The Committee concluded, having regard to the totality of the factors considered above that choice could not be given significant weight and that there was not currently a gap in the spectrum of adequacy sufficient to conclude that the provision of pharmaceutical services is not currently secured to the standard of adequacy. Accordingly the Committee concluded: The application was neither necessary nor expedient to secure the adequate provision of services in the neighbourhood, and therefore dismissed the appeal in this respect.”

Translated, this means: “‘The Committee dismisses the appeal for the reasons stated above.”

Clinical NHSspeak, probably a more widely encountered variant, is used by doctors, nurses and other patient-facing (there I go!) staff who, basically, just don't want to talk to you and have absolutely no intention of doing so. It contains lots of generally non-understood words (e.g. thrombosis, paroxysm, cachexia, erythematous), lots of Latin and is spoken by those who regard patients as the enemy (without whom the NHS would run just perfectly). 

Clinical NHSspeak can be recognised (a) because it contains the magic identifiers "sweetheart", "my love" and "take care", and (b) by lacking any attempt to explain or listen. 

Clinical staff speaking Clinical NHSspeak will often abruptly walk off.

:-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7020
    CaseOfAce said:
    thread derail warning - but I thought Nuno would be using his own Randall signature amps on tour - but nope - Marshall JCM2000s - and his tone stack settings are presence, treble and mid at 1 and bass on 4...? Anyone know the reason?

Good spot.  According to the man himself:

If somebody saw my settings on the amp, most people would think it's a mistake. They'd say, "Somebody messed with your sounds" because the high end is at 2, midrange is at 2, the bass is at like four or six, and the distortion is like at about 12 o'clock, and I don't use the Rat pedal for distortion. But when I turn it up, it sounds right. It's warmer, it's browner, and it suits me and I can play more progressively when most people would turn up a lot of the high-end and things like that.