Band facts you never knew.

What's Hot
OffsetOffset Frets: 11823
I'll set the ball rolling.

Nils Lofgren was in Crazy Horse.  And Sly Stone produced an early single for them.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14300
    edited April 1 tFB Trader

Lewis Collins who most famously played Bodie in the late70s/early80s British action TV show The Professionals, used to work at the same hairdressers, Andre Bernard Salon, on Ranelagh Street in Liverpool, as Paul McCartney’s younger brother, Mike.

He was a drummer, and had been in a high school band The Renegades. He was at the McCartney home with Mike writing songs when Pete Best was dropped from The Beatles.

Mike McCartney suggested Collins as a possible replacement to Paul, but Lewis turned down the opportunity to audition for the Beatles, Collins opted to continue drumming on a more amateur basis, playing for a number of local bands, including The Eyes and The Georgians.

He quit hairdressing in 1964 to become the bass player for The Mojos, performing on their charting singles “Goodbye Dolly Gray” and “Until My Baby Comes Home”.

Obviously he was a true Professional

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2976
    Curly Watts from Coronation Street was in a band called Paris Valentinos with pre Smiths Johnny Marr and Andy Rourke.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 200
    Slash isn’t his real name.
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1105
    Pearl Jam is semen
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 669
    edited April 1
    Before becoming famous, Michael buble worked on a market stall and was known as Micky Bubbles. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3911
    Johnny Marr is God.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Slash isn’t his real name.
    He was born in London and grew up in Stoke too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Craig Gannon was the fifth Smith.

Captain Sensible is the best guitarist…..in the WORLD.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 669
    edited April 1
    Wilco Johnson developed his distinctive performance persona while rehearsing on a large stage with a coily cable. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9687
    edited April 1
    When Cream and The Jam were on the same West Country tour - in Cornwall The Jam went on first, but in Devon it was always Cream that went on first ;-)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    19reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5169
    ….That Snowy White kept racing pigeons…. B)
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5431
    edited April 1
    “Bubbles” (Mike Smith) from Trailer Park Boys was previously the guitarist in an alt rock/power pop band called Sandbox. They made three albums before splitting up iirc - I saw them supporting Barenaked Ladies in Canada years and years ago, before BNL were internationally famous. 

Here’s Bubbles and Ed Robertson from BNL playing with another medium famous Canadian band - 

https://youtu.be/rs4qn_bHQQ0

And here is Sandbox’s best song and highest-charting single (#8 on the Canadian alternative chart, #34 on the general Canadian singles chart). 

https://youtu.be/z6r6aYDdqU4

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4188

Lewis Collins who most famously played Bodie in the late70s/early80s British action TV show The Professionals, used to work at the same hairdressers, Andre Bernard Salon, on Ranelagh Street in Liverpool, as Paul McCartney’s younger brother, Mike.

He was a drummer, and had been in a high school band The Renegades. He was at the McCartney home with Mike writing songs when Pete Best was dropped from The Beatles.

Mike McCartney suggested Collins as a possible replacement to Paul, but Lewis turned down the opportunity to audition for the Beatles, Collins opted to continue drumming on a more amateur basis, playing for a number of local bands, including The Eyes and The Georgians.

He quit hairdressing in 1964 to become the bass player for The Mojos, performing on their charting singles “Goodbye Dolly Gray” and “Until My Baby Comes Home”.

Please tell me this isn’t an April fool,that’s so cool
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14300
    edited April 2 tFB Trader

Please tell me this isn’t an April fool,that’s so cool
    True story - Honest - To be fair I knew the gist of the story - I knew he was a hairdresser and had worked with Paul's brother and knew he had turned down an audition with The Beatles - But did not know about his switch to bass and a. hit single - Found that on google
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7291
    edited April 2
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28419
    edited April 2
    While it's pretty well known that "Every Breath You Take" is actually a nasty stalker song, most people don't know that Sting's later "Fields of Gold" is actually about his search for a tropical holiday home - hence the repeated line "Upon the fields of Bali".

He was unsuccessful, and ended up retiring to Weston-super-Mare instead. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2417
    Steel guitar virtuoso Sneaky Pete Kleinow who played with the Flying Burrito Brothers and lots of other acts was also a highly regarded Hollywood special effects artist who worked on The Empire Strikes Back and Terminator among other movies.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 962
    Top virtuoso guitarist and rock star Steven Seagal also had a second career for a time in the motion picture business. 
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4704
    I'm not 100% sure of this  but, many many years ago on the Roger Scott show on GLR, Scott interviewed Walter Trout and it turned out that one of, if not his first, professional gigs was a guitarist for Hank Williams junior, playing country.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.