The Mighty Boosh....... missing music

What's Hot
Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 982
Revisiting it - how did we never get an album (of the music)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18829
    Old Gregg stealed it.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7886
    They did an LP for record store day, but was radio show, but some songs on there. I’ve got one of those still sealed somewhere on my collection. 
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 670
    edited April 1
    I had a live dvd at one point which had a lot of music.
    The guy with the tash had a lovely white 3 pickup SG and was rather good.

The "new sound" episode was good. 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3083
    It's because electroponces fear Jazz.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 982
    I liked a lot of the live stuff but I feel like they missed a trick not releasing an album of the songs from the series or even performing them live
    Well I've found out they actually recorded an album - at Electric Ladyland in NY - but didn't release it as, by that time, Julian (who I think writes and plays most of the stuff) wanted out - felt it was too big and didn't want to do the promotion the expense that had been put into the recording would demand.....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    I think Noel is good friends with Noel Gallagher .
    I didn’t think the show was at all funny.
  • BodBod Frets: 1315
    Soup, soup...
  • The cerebral musicality of jazz mixed with the visceral groove of funk..  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The cerebral musicality of jazz mixed with the visceral groove of funk..  

Dam thats good @MagicPigDetective - that looks like the strapline from a brand new heavies LP from the mid 90's.....I might write that under my name on all the forms I sign in work......

I really enjoyed it at the time, but I don't think it's aged that well.
    Bod said:
    That's interesting @Bod - I just re-visited it and enjoyed it....... I think because it exists in its own self contained world and the jokes don't really depend on a socio-economic context or cultural references (generally) it's age resistant..... They didn't really utilise the then latest technology or FX either - it looked a bit strange and sh*tty when it was made so I don't think that will hurt it either.....

I did think it's noticeable that they pull back or avoid more cutting edge/controversial jokes - but I read in interviews that was intentional because they wanted the show to be A-political..... 

what do you think aged it poorly?

Bod said:
    That's interesting @Bod - I just re-visited it and enjoyed it....... I think because it exists in its own self contained world and the jokes don't really depend on a socio-economic context or cultural references (generally) it's age resistant..... They didn't really utilise the then latest technology or FX either - it looked a bit strange and sh*tty when it was made so I don't think that will hurt it either.....

I did think it's noticeable that they pull back or avoid more cutting edge/controversial jokes - but I read in interviews that was intentional because they wanted the show to be A-political..... 

I think it's probably more about where I am now, maybe.  It seemed fresh and exciting at the time, but just seems overly contrived and abstractly puerile to me these days.  I also think it's something to do with my low opinion of Noel Fielding of late.

I met his brother Mike, who played Naboo, when he was working in the coffee shop at my offices at Milton Keynes.  He's a really nice chap, but clearly not enjoying the success of his older brother.
    Bod said:
    Bod said:

I think it's probably more about where I am now, maybe.  It seemed fresh and exciting at the time, but just seems overly contrived and abstractly puerile to me these days.  I also think it's something to do with my low opinion of Noel Fielding of late.

I met his brother Mike, who played Naboo, when he was working in the coffee shop at my offices at Milton Keynes.  He's a really nice chap, but clearly not enjoying the success of his older brother.
    I am a fan of the Boosh - but can definitely see where you'd get abstractly puerile......it can feel a little contrived - a little zany, a little wacky

I dont think anyone involved has done anything particularly worthwhile since - though Richard Ayoade's role was minor I did enjoy his Travel Man. 
  • DecorativeedDecorativeed Frets: 32
    I am a fan of the Boosh - but can definitely see where you'd get abstractly puerile......it can feel a little contrived - a little zany, a little wacky

I dont think anyone involved has done anything particularly worthwhile since - though Richard Ayoade's role was minor I did enjoy his Travel Man. 
    Ayoade and Fielding were in the IT Crowd after the first two series of Boosh (I like to block out the existence of the third, as it was shite) and Ayoade also directed a couple of decent films - Submarine being the best so far.

Also, Paul King, who directed every episode, went on to direct both Paddington films and Wonka.

I think on a rewatch, the only things that really date it are the use of blackface on a couple of characters (although you can probably find examples of them painting their faces every colour of the rainbow thought the run of the show), that they certainly wouldn't have done if it were made in the last decade or so. 
  • guitarmanglerguitarmangler Frets: 589
    I saw them play just the music at teenage cancer trust gig and the mighty boosh festival. Long time ago now, but I think they we good? 
    The white SG was clearly a nod to 70’s era holdsworth, who he was a big fan of. I met Julian at a Holdsworth gig at the south bank centre. Nice guy.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12375
    Do you love me? Are you playing your loves games wiv me?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"