Golden Era Relics

What's Hot
tonystone82tonystone82 Frets: 0
edited April 2 in Guitar
Has anyone here bought a golden era body and neck and had success in building a decent partscaster? If so can you tell me if you would recommend going down this route as I’m looking to build a 1950’s or 1960’s replica strat in the near future. The bodies and necks seem really nice online and the relic’ing looks impressive but I’d like a second opinion on the quality of sound, the wood, the feel of the neck, the weight, the workmanship etc.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• floeighty2floeighty2 Frets: 158
    Yep. I have a beautiful double bound, sunburst, tele body which is light, feels amazing, the workmanship is very impressive and compared to a lot of bodies out there a good price. I think if you want a great partscaster you wont go far wrong. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3869
    I believe Scott uses Guitarbuild bodies, so it might be worth researching them.

I love assembling partscasters, but you never know how good they're going to be until you strum the first chord.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • floeighty2floeighty2 Frets: 158
    Lebarque said:

I love assembling partscasters, but you never know how good they're going to be until you strum the first chord.
    Also this.  I bought some really high end stuff for that tele and all the while you’re building it there is a little voice saying it might sound a bit poo. They’re not always the sum of their parts. Luckily, I was happy with how mine turned out.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    As said, Scott at Golden Era buys quality parts and works them as well as anyone in the business. Would 100% be my go to if I was going down the build route. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1294
    Lebarque said:

This 100%. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NCoNCo Frets: 162

Building a partscaster now, although not from the Golden Era.

Echoing the above comments - there's always a fear that the result might not be what you expect.

Here are some other things to consider:

• If you do choose to proceed, just be mindful that this can get expensive so plan the budget carefully.
    • Try to get second-hand parts from the forum or eBay.
    • Consider getting your own body and neck and send for refinishing for maximum flexibility. All Parts have a limited range of necks, and buying from Guitarbuild allows you to choose the wood and weight, for example.

Good luck!

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3166
    tFB Trader
    Lebarque said:
    you never know how good they're going to be until you strum the first chord.
    This is why I love both partscasters and full-on custom builds, the unknown is exciting to me.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hoopshoops Frets: 224
    Bought a sonic blue reliced tele body from Scott and put it together with a Allparts fat rosewood neck and ended up with one of the best teles I’ve ever played and I have played a few.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27042
    My experience with Partscasters is they're the best way to get a perfect F-style providing you go for really high quality parts throughout, and particularly the wood, pickups and bridge. AND then put it together properly and focus on setting it up really well. 

I haven't had one but everything I've seen suggests Golden Era are among the best. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 366
    I've just taken delivery this morning of an amazing Tele neck and body from Scott - obviously I haven't got it together yet, but the work he's done is fantastic and the base components he's used are high quality. 

Just to reiterate it's important to budget partscasters properly, you can easily get into the realms of Custom Shop cost without trying too hard. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6702
    Yes and it's currently my only guitar. Love it. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18783
    Just making sure that Scott @GoldenEraGuitars   is aware of & included in this conversation  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2382
    Ahh the weight of consumer expectation....poor Scott is currently undergoing his afternoon session in the float tank listening to Dolphins.....
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1241
    I've built a Tele using a body from Scott, and I like it.
    Details can be found here - WTF do I do with these? (Tele bits and build content!) - Making & Modding Discussions on theFretBoard

Certainly didn't work out a cheap build, but I've got no regrets about building it.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    One of the best teles I have ever owned was a sc relics amazing 
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1427
    Just making sure that Scott @GoldenEraGuitars   is aware of & included in this conversation  ;)
    Scott hasn't been around since beginning of March. Think he got tired of whinging posts.
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
    Scotts work is spot on, Ive had 5 builds using his bodies and still have 2 teles which are awesome.

Hes also one of the only people I'd trust with Vintage Fender resins, he did my 61 Strat in Fiesta red over sunburst and the end result is amazing (I've posted a pics few times on here)
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11752
    nero1701 said:
    Scott hasn't been around since beginning of March. Think he got tired of whinging posts.
    That's a shame.  Sadly there are a couple of others that have joined him.
  • kurtrowe2000kurtrowe2000 Frets: 23
    Scott’s work is amazing. He’s built me a full strat, a full tele, and provided me with another tele body and neck which I’ve worked into an amazing partscaster tele. 

No one better in my opinion. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3869
    Offset said:
    nero1701 said:
    That's a shame.  Sadly there are a couple of others that have joined him.
    He's flounced(!) before. I'm sure he'll be back again.