Found a ring

What's Hot
KurtisKurtis Frets: 664
I was out earlier and found a nice looking "diamond" ring on the pavement. There was nobody else about so I brought it home. Not sure what to do with it.
It's probably junk but to my untrained eye it looks really nice. An engagement type, "silver" with a largish stone and lots of small stones on the band. I can see there are a couple of small marks inside, but I can't see them well enough. I think one might be 925 which would suggest silver? 

I was going to take it to the cop shop but wondering if something on a local Facebook page or something like that might be better? I'm not actually on Facebook but could use someone elses account I suppose.
Take it to a jewelers to see if it's real? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3704
    Take it to the police station. It’s not yours and probably important to somebody. 

I believe it’s also an offence to keep it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28369
    Take it to the police. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 664
    edited April 3
    drofluf said:
    Take it to the police station. It’s not yours and probably important to somebody. 

Yeah, want to get it back to the owner but just wondered how "active" the cops would be about it.
    Will probably just take it there tomorrow. 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3704
    Kurtis said:
    drofluf said:

Yeah, want to get it back to the owner but just wondered how "active" the cops would be about it.
    Will probably just take it there tomorrow. 
    I doubt they’ll be active, but will return it to its owner if they come to them. After 6 months I believe it becomes yours. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3494
    I would take it to the police, someone could be missing it, it could be very important to them, it could also be nicked or already reported as lost so getting it valued could be very suss on your part.
    The right thing to do is return it via the police.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    Not bother with Facebook or anything then? 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18819
    They might not be very proactive over it (or even want to take it) , but you'll have done the right thing & anyone looking for lost property would be likely to ask the police.
    https://www.themix.org.uk/crime-and-safety/your-rights/lost-property-9126.html
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    robgilmo said:
    I would take it to the police, someone could be missing it, it could be very important to them, it could also be nicked or already reported as lost so getting it valued could be very suss on your part.
    The right thing to do is return it via the police.
    Wasn't so much to get it valued, just to see if it's cheap rubbish. Suppose it doesn't really matter. 
    They might not be very proactive over it (or even want to take it) , but you'll have done the right thing & anyone looking for lost property would be likely to ask the police.
    https://www.themix.org.uk/crime-and-safety/your-rights/lost-property-9126.html
    Yeah, just don't have a huge amount of confidence in them getting it to the owner. 
    Not much else for it though. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Take it to the police, and then post about it on the various facebook local pages
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    viz said:
    Take it to the police, and then post about it on the various facebook local pages
    Yeah, think that's a good plan. 
  • Kurtis said:
    Both. I'd take some clear photographs and post them on a local lost and found social media page - after I'd taken it to the Police.

Once people have revisited wherever they think they last had something, the copshop is usually their next port of call in case some public-spirited individual has handed it in. This also leaves them to deal with the potential myriad fraudulent claims that it was their Mum's/Granny's/significant other's.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28369
    Wouldn't pictures mean anyone can turn up and accurately describe it?

Basic description and roughly where it was found might make it more likely the real owner collects. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 3
    Kurtis said:
    Both. I'd take some clear photographs and post them on a local lost and found social media page - after I'd taken it to the Police.

Once people have revisited wherever they think they last had something, the copshop is usually their next port of call in case some public-spirited individual has handed it in. This also leaves them to deal with the potential myriad fraudulent claims that it was their Mum's/Granny's/significant other's.
    Yup, only thing is I probably wouldn't put pics so that there is some evidence they can describe it?

Just something like engagement ring found at such and such street? 
    edited April 3
    Sporky said:

Basic description and roughly where it was found might make it more likely the real owner collects. 
    Posted at same time! 

Just thought though, they might not be the owners they could have stolen it and could still describe it?

Think I'll just take it to the police and let them deal with it. They maybe have a Facebook presence anyway. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    Sporky said:

I suppose he could post pictures of a completely different ring. That way anyone claiming it as theirs would immediately reveal themselves as a scammer.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Use your phone. Piccy and zoom in. Google camera it and it may give you the value.
    JAYJO said:
    Use your phone. Piccy and zoom in. Google camera it and it may give you the value.
    Ooh, cool. Think I'm just interested now as much as anything. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18819
    Hope it isn't a vintage Ratners ring...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Probably fell out a kinder egg  =)