Found a ring

What's Hot

Comments

• strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3287
    Hope it isn't a vintage Ratners ring...
    Well you could trade it for a M&S Prawn Sarnie..
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2274
    Hope it isn't a vintage Ratners ring...
    Well you could trade it for a M&S Prawn Sarnie..

If it last long enough...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 664
    Just need to get it out the house before my girlfriend finds it! 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18819
    Kurtis said:
    Just need to get it out the house before my girlfriend finds it! 
    Danger! Danger! Get it out of there now!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
     =) 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Go on an epic journey and throw it in a volcano.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
    edited April 3
    I think you're north of the border, but it might not be worth taking it to the police. A little while back they changed the lost property stuff, and will now only take in a limited range of things, not sure that 'general' jewellery is on that list.

So yes, you're probably best putting up a brief description in a local Facebook group or similar and see if anyone can convince you it's theirs.

Edit: north of the border comment because the situation may be different, and I'm only aware of the English plod side of things.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:
    With these knees?!! 

Snags said:
    I think you're north of the border, but it might not be worth taking it to the police. A little while back they changed the lost property stuff, and will now only take in a limited range of things, not sure that 'general' jewellery is on that list.

So yes, you're probably best putting up a brief description in a local Facebook group or similar and see if anyone can convince you it's theirs.

Edit: north of the border comment because the situation may be different, and I'm only aware of the English plod side of things.
    OK, cheers. 
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3020
    Snags said:

Not true, I've handed in jewellery many times to the police.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7036
    tFB Trader
    My Dad found a nice watch and handed in to the police. They gave him a receipt and said if the owner isn't found in x months, it's yours. He went back after the allotted time, receipt in hand and the watch had mysteriously disappeared from the safe.

He could hardly report the theft.
    2reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    My Dad found a nice watch and handed in to the police. They gave him a receipt and said if the owner isn't found in x months, it's yours. He went back after the allotted time, receipt in hand and the watch had mysteriously disappeared from the safe.

Oh dear. It's stories like that that put me off getting them involved. 

Doesn't seem to be a lot else I can do though. 

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18819
    Kurtis said:

Oh dear. It's stories like that that put me off getting them involved. 

Doesn't seem to be a lot else I can do though. 

Welcome to the deeply complicated world of 21st century living... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    Kurtis said:
    They might not be very proactive over it (or even want to take it) , but you'll have done the right thing & anyone looking for lost property would be likely to ask the police.
    https://www.themix.org.uk/crime-and-safety/your-rights/lost-property-9126.html
    Yeah, just don't have a huge amount of confidence in them getting it to the owner. 
    Not much else for it though. 
    Wrong to keep it
    wrong for Police to keep it .........or one of their mates 
    Try and find owner without Police or it will never re-emerge
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103

Wow, what a surprise............cunts
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9553
    crunchman said:
    =)

I was thinking the same; put it on, and have a look in the mirror… just in case…
    Snags said:

Not true, I've handed in jewellery many times to the police.
    I'm sure you have. 

https://www.theukrules.co.uk/news/homes-and-lifestyle/reporting-lost-property/

Work your way through this on the lowest value/risk route https://www.met.police.uk/ro/report/lp/lost-or-found-property/?stepid=1-2-2-1

Or question 244 here https://www.askthe.police.uk/view-category/?id=4008df18-6ad2-eb11-bacb-000d3ad61986
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28368
    I sit corrected.

Though the second link suggests that a possibly diamond ring can be handed in - presumably never to be seen again. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    I sit corrected.

Though the second link suggests that a possibly diamond ring can be handed in - presumably never to be seen again. 

Yes, I think high value/dangerous/ID type things can still be handed in, but for trinkets, ear buds etc. you get told to sling your hook.

On a personal level, whilst I don't envy the police their job, and on that score they have much sympathy, I would hesitate to hand in anything high value based on the majority of my and my immediate families dealings with them over the years, which have largely been a litany of lies, misrepresentations deceptions and attempted thefts, and not on our part.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28368
    I suspect that's a sadly-inevitable result of years - maybe decades - of underfunding and undermining by government(s). 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    You could always give it to the police, then put it on Facebook asking who has lost it, rough area it's lost...then tag the local constabulary in the post so it's public knowledge that the police now have possession of it.