Replacement tuners for Les paul / SG / 335 types..

What's Hot
KevSKevS Frets: 477
What is a good affordable set of machine heads that aren't too expensive or heavy for a Les Paul / SG / 335 type ..?

My Favourite Les Paul has had a lot of use over 20 years and a couple of the Kluson style tuners are loose and it is starting to niggle me....

I am aware of the G and to some extent B string binding in the nut.I have lived with it for decades.I know Grovers are the more traditional solution of yore..

These can be heavier though,,plus I have guitars with Waverly Style tuners..Some I don't like so much as other tuners I have tried..These I find a bit uncomfortable on my fingers,plus possibly a bit inconsistent..It feels like in the G and D string you can need more winds..Like  Grovers have power steering and Waverly style don't..I know,,a weird way to describe things,
I can't think of another..

I know a straight drop in set of sealed internal oiled tuners is too much to ask..

There is so much out there,,I have owned no other tuners but Gibsons Kluson Style and Grovers / Epi Grovers..
Which I find very usable,but I'm sure full fat Grovers will be better..

Maybe even a 2 Tier Solution ..My favourite Les Paul may warrant a finer set of tuners..
My Korean Guilds with Waverly tuners..I feel they are the remaining weak link on those guitars..
I don't want the S100 becoming neck heavier either..It balances nicely just now..
It has Waverly Style on there just now..
The buttons are a bit more comfortable than some..

Do you really get what you pay for though..?

I know Waverly Style probably have their fans..
They just feel more quirky to me..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3000
    Easy, either the G-Force, or Tronica one.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    These days I love Graphtech ratio tuners for my own stuff but Gotoh are still hard to beat for value

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 339
    To echo what @FelineGuitars says, Graphtech Ratio tuners are excellent. I have a set on my Feline Lion and they're easily the best tuners I've encountered.
  • KevSKevS Frets: 477
    These days I love Graphtech ratio tuners for my own stuff but Gotoh are still hard to beat for value
    To echo what @FelineGuitars says, Graphtech Ratio tuners are excellent. I have a set on my Feline Lion and they're easily the best tuners I've encountered.
    Thank you for your advice..I will look them up..  
  • WoodandwiresWoodandwires Frets: 195
    Pm’d
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27031
    Life’s too short for ugly modern tuners :)

I really like the modern Kluson vintage ones, as well as Faber’s version of the same things. Most have horrible snot green keys but those 2 get it right. 

Grovers are a solution to a problem that doesn’t really exist any more, which is that old 50s Klusons were a bit crap and tended to fall apart. Decent modern ones don’t have that issue so Grover’s are overkill imo. 

As for tuning issues, that’s just a badly cut nut. Slots should be wider than most techs seem to think and then youll have no problems 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mooncatmooncat Frets: 110
    Personally i've always found Schaller the best tuners and they do straight drop in tuners for Gibsons which are also available as locking tuners or standard.

OK thanks for all the info..I will mull stuff over..
    I've been elsewhere talking on the forum..It is all stopping me getting at my guitars.lol..

The Kluson Style on my 2004 Les Paul..Are they adjustable..?

I totally realise about the the nut slots..
    Taking the edge off the bottom back corner of the G and B slots and a bit of Big Bends Nut Sauce..
    Pricey,,but it works..
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2396
    Gotoh SD-90s should be a reliable and straight drop-in replacement, as should Kluson Revolutions (more expensive but a better ratio). 

A quick Google image search suggests 2004 Standards were using the push-in bushing type post rather than the hex nut on top, so those user a slightly narrower post, so bear that in mind when you order - I believe the options I've mentioned are both available with the 8mm push-in bushing or 10mm top nut variations.
    Tim
    I kept changing words in my search on Youtube,,
    is this legit I wonder..I will have to check if the covers are loose I guess..

• HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 991
    Kluson Revolutions are the way to go.  Direct replacement and they're the right ratio (what were they thinking in "vintage" times?).

You can also get them locking!
    Kluson Revolutions are the way to go.  Direct replacement and they're the right ratio (what were they thinking in "vintage" times?).

Are these the ones..My Les Paul is an early Noughties one..This price seems much cheaper..
    I am suspicious..lol

https://www.armstrongmusic.co.uk/products/revolution-g-mount-diecast-tuners-3-per-side-pearloid-keystone-button-19-1-gear-ratio?_pos=5&_psq=kluson+revolution&_ss=e&_v=1.0
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2396
    KevS said:

Are these the ones..My Les Paul is an early Noughties one..This price seems much cheaper..
    I am suspicious..lol

https://www.armstrongmusic.co.uk/products/revolution-g-mount-diecast-tuners-3-per-side-pearloid-keystone-button-19-1-gear-ratio?_pos=5&_psq=kluson+revolution&_ss=e&_v=1.0
    Yep, those are the right ones. The locking ones are a fair bit more expensive but if you don't want locking then you've nothing to worry about.
    Tim
    edited April 5
    timmypix said:
    KevS said:

I am suspicious..lol

Yep, those are the right ones. The locking ones are a fair bit more expensive but if you don't want locking then you've nothing to worry about.
    I'm thinking that one over..I don't mind doing a few wraps during a string change..
    The B and G slots are a compromise,,having them cut good with smooth edges improves things a lot..
    That may affect the tuning more than if the strings are locked or not..
    Possibly more parts to lose / go wrong..
    On my Fenders,I find the straight ahead tuners a good solution once the strings are bedded in..
    This is also on Strats with the trem in use...

Hmm !!!  The straight ahead ones will probably do the job..

A PRS say has very near straight string pull,,I can see more benefits when all the other snags are removed..
    Then again,,when I used the trem on my cousin's PRS..It went completely out of tune..
    Maybe some other factor there doing that though..

Thank you..I have talked myself out of buying locking ones..   .
    Kluson Revolutions Ordered,plus 3 Sets of Locking Fenders too for my Strats.
    I use the Trems on them..Upcoming Birthday treat..It may allow me to dip the trem a little further etc..
    Not a divebomber..

Thank you everyone for your help..

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited April 6
    A few years back I replaced the deluxe tuners on my 2006 SG Standard with chrome Grover Rotomatic 18:1.  Way better, much more solid, smoother, way more accurate. Straight drop in albeit you see a hole as the Grovers are single screw. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)