Learning-book recommendations

What's Hot
SporkySporky Frets: 28364
edited April 4 in Off Topic
I was thinking it might be good to have a thread where people can propose a "primer" read in an area they understand. Doesn't have to be anything to do with music (but it can be). Prompted by @fretmeister with the idea that reading one of the suggestions will give you a non-expert understanding, but still put you ahead of 99% of people. 

I'll open with two. 

The Science Of Sound, by Rossing etc al. A superb introduction to acoustics and psychoacoustics. Light on maths (though it's there if you want to see it), very clear, and covers a huge range. The DSP sections are a bit out of date, but the bulk of the content is still spot-on.

The Design Of Everyday Things, by Donald A Norman. If you've ever pushed a pull door, or not been able to work out which switch works which light(s), this will explain why (and how to make the world more intuitive). A dated bit at the end where he predicts the iPad (though in context it's quite interesting). 

Have at it! 
"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24340
    Great idea!

"An Introduction to Law" - Professor Phil Harris.
    Should be required reading for everyone who ever wants to have an informed opinion on the law. It is now one of the preferred texts for people new to studying law. It's a starting book.

"Stories of the Law and How It's Broken"; and
    "Fake Law" - The Secret Barrister.
    If anyone is on favour of unappealable sentences of any type after reading those then they have a screw loose. The books also show the extent to which the mass media companies get away with lying about the operation of the law. If they don't enrage you then you haven't understood them.

"The Full Facts book of cold reading" - Rowland.
    A full and very detailed explanation as to cold reading - the most powerful persuasion technique in the world -  and it's use in the psychic industry, and other industries. It's not the most thrilling read but it's very thorough.

That goes very well with:

"How to cheat at everything" - Simon Lovell.
    Former conman and magician explains the scams that millions of people fall victim to every day.

Both of these are a great education in avoiding scams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27085
    edited April 4
    Yeah really good idea this! I have little to add if I'm honest, though if anyone wants to read Monetizing Energy Storage (Schmidt & Staffell) they're welcome to.

Outside work I'm currently reading Modern Recording Techniques: A A Practical Guide to Modern Music Production,  by David Miles Huber. It's huge and not exactly "recording 101" but it's very well set out and super-detailed. 

In terms of general interest, The Undercover Economist by Tim Hartford is excellent and should be mandatory reading for anyone who wants to understand how pricing and markets work in the modern world (clue: it's never about raw material cost) 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27085
    edited April 4
    Sporky said:

The Psychology Of Everyday Things, by Donald A Norman. If you've ever pushed a pull door, or not been able to work out which switch works which light(s), this will explain why. A dated bit at the end where he predicts the iPad (though in context it's quite interesting). 

Looks like this one was expanded and reissued as The Design of Everyday Things, FYI
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28364
    Ta - I'll update my post to reflect that. My copy is probably 30 years old now... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1415
    Bit of an odd one this, but I'll nominate "Ways of Seeing" by John Berger. Shame that the current edition contains a shocking b+w transfer of the illustrations. Stil worth your while.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    What's it about? 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7429
    DESIGN FOR AIR COMBAT by Ray Whitford.

Written by one of my lecturers at uni - it's still 'the' book on the basics of how modern military aircraft despite being getting on for 30 years old. I've lost my copy :-/ 

THE JET ENGINE published by Rolls Royce - definitely the definitive primer of how different types of jet engines are designed and work. A Google will find you a copy for no outlay. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    Kama Sutra
    It can get a bit deep, but there are versions with photos and less words. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3012
    If you want to win on the horses:

1. Braddock's Complete Guide to Horse Race Selection and Betting - Peter Braddock
    2. Value Betting - Mark Coton
    3. Betting for a Living - Nick Mordin

Read, and practised, in that order.

For bravery, perseverance, dedication and downright bloody-mindedness through being obsessive then: 

The Magic Furnace - Marcus Chown
    Unbelievable, incredibly brave scientists search for the origins of atoms over hundreds of years. They weren't popular but they kept going, in many cases dedicating their lives for the cause and in some cases eg Marie Curie, dying for it.

A lesson to us all not to quit if we really feel strongly about something.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24340
    Advocacy in Court - a Beginners Guide. Keith Evans.

This is an absolute wonder of a book. Although it's aimed at court advocates it is brilliant for anyone who has to do any public speaking, particularly when that speaking needs to be of a persuasive kind.

Psychologically Informed Mediation: Studies in Conflict and Resolution. Monica Hanaway.

Mediation as a form of conflict resolution is being used more and more. Between parents and schools, tenants and landlords, and people in litigation. This was written by one of my tutors when I got my mediator qualification. It goes deep into conflict resolution and the process of finding the real reasons for continued disputes, which are often not what they appear to be. Her training has been some of the best I've ever attended. An excellent book for anyone dealing with disputes. Boundaries / Employment etc. When I did my training most of the other trainees were lawyers but there was one person who was a mother to triplets who were always fighting. She actually scored a lot higher than the lawyers who were perhaps a little set in their ways. Another great author on the subject is the late Paul Randolph, a barrister who actively campaigned for mediation instead of trials to resolve issues. Can't go wrong with either of them to be honest.

I forgot one - though it's not in my professional field.

Think Again: How to Reason and Argue by Dr Walter Sinnott-Armstrong

A marvellous primer on how to construct (and deconstruct) discussions (I'd say arguments but that's often read as "conflicts"). Also the basis of a thoroughly excellent Coursera course. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 189
    edited April 5
    I could recommend a whole library of psychology, science, design or creativity books. Here’s a few greatest hits.

Anything by Don Norman or Dieter Rams.

a Technique for Producing ideas - James Webb Young
    The original & best book on creativity. And by far the shortest. Simple & powerful model. (Pair with How To Write One Song by Jeff Tweedy & The Creative Act by Rick Rubin.)

Fundamentals - Frank Wilczek
    10 keys to reality, aka ten big areas of Physics explained. (Perfect starter before exploring quantum theory. Then read Helgoland by Carlo Ravelli)

The Science of Storytelling - Will Storr
    Does what it says on the tin. Just read it. Revelatory, inspirational & a joy to read.

This is what it sounds like - Susan Rogers
    Prince’s recording engineer turned neuroscientist explains the key aspects of music & how they impact us in the form of preferences.

Thinking in Bets - Annie Duke
    Scientist turned pro poker player. Risk-based decision making from her unique perspective. Serves as a great primer on systems thinking.

Thinking in Systems - Donella Meadows
    And if you’re interested in systems, this is a classic. It’s accessible & not academic, and is a practical guide for identifying problems/exploring solutions. 

Scale - Geoffrey West
    More stuff about systems, looking how emergent properties change at different scales using examples like cities.

Range - David Epstein
    A line-by-line takedown of the 10,000 hour rule. An awesome look at how to make learning effective via interleaving (practising skills in multiple contexts).

The Case Against Reality - Donald Hoffman 
    Mind-blowing look at perception, and what that means for everything we hold dear.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Sporky ; - Litke I said, a bit odd and tricky. The simplest way to describe it would be how to look at pictures... or rather what to look out for. Of course, pictres make up tlevision and film, and a large chunk of t'internet too. Philosophy perhaps? More like critiical analysis.

More on topic, The Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook. Alongside Modern Recording Techniques a good primer on Soundwaves and their capture.
    edited April 5
    Also a bit old hat and a bit coals to Newcastle but "Revolution in the Head" remains a cornerstone for anyone wanting to know more about the Beatles' music.

Can't go wrong with Bad Science by Ben Goldacre.

Prisoners of Georgraphy is also an interesting, easy read - if the rough outline of geopolitical conflict is your bag, baby.

I shall consult my library before making any further suggestions. mrgreen 

• CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3020
    edited April 5
    I found both Harmonica For Dummies and Blues Harmonica For Dummies to easily be worth their weight in gold, and more than worth their sticker prices.
    Anything involving harmonica is disallowed, for what I'd hope are obvious reasons. 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6499
    Guitar for Dummies