Izal Toilet Paper

What's Hot
Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1051
edited April 5 in Off Topic
Anyone remember  this horrendous experience?

Just bidded for an original 70’s pack of Izal on ebay (unopened) . If I win I am going to go all nostalgic and wipe my arse like the good old days.

Will get my lad to use it too so he knows what I went through.

The question is, did anyone actually use this out of choice? Did any households actually buy and use this? Or was it just a school thing?

Hopefully I can win the auction and chase shit up my back for the final time. 
11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 666
    Outdoor toilet, frozen in winter, ripped up newspaper on a rusty nail. Ah the good old days.
    Izal was for posh people...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6685
    We had it in junior school. I lived close enough to go home if I needed to shat badly. 
    By the time I was in Comprehensive, I worked out that taking some tissues to school everyday was probably a good idea. Also meant that if I didn't need to shit I could swap a few sheets for cigarettes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 252
    My grandma used to have it in the 80s. No idea why unless it was liberated from where she worked. It was like greaseproof paper.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3010
    Yes, my grandparents had it in the seventies. Not sure why, they weren't poor and there were softer alternatives out there. 
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1051
    edited April 5
    merlin said:
    We had it in junior school. I lived close enough to go home if I needed to shat badly. 
    By the time I was in Comprehensive, I worked out that taking some tissues to school everyday was probably a good idea. Also meant that if I didn't need to shit I could swap a few sheets for cigarettes. 
    I don’t know you, but behaviour like this in comprehensive school would suggest you have done well in life. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72378
    Outdoor toilet, frozen in winter, ripped up newspaper on a rusty nail. Ah the good old days.
    Izal was for posh people...
    Old newspaper was *better* than Izal.

On the bright side, my school having the horrific stuff instilled a lifelong determination to only have a shit once a day, in the morning, immediately before showering. (Unless actually ill, and even that's pushing it.) Probably too much information.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1051
    Just a bit of context. As the OP I started
    this thread whilst having a shit in a Wetherspoons with my foot against the door as the lock was bust.

I was feeling sorry for myself ( first ever shit in a spoons ) and it made me think, whatever I am going through now was nothing compared to what I had to endure at school. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5858
    Yes, 70's as a kid in school. It was tantamount to torture. The only thing more sinister would have been rolls of Bacofoil.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jim54Jim54 Frets: 250
    That stuff was called John Wayne toilet paper - rough, tough and takes no shit.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7256
    I'll never understand why it was referred to as "medicated toilet paper".  I don't think the paper was impregnated with anything like balsam or disinfectant, because it was (as mentioned above) greaseproof paper and would have been impossible to impregnate it with anything.  The only experience I had with it was in the very early 80s in some public toilets like bus stations, and I would actually have preferred wiping my crack with nettles.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3217
    I remember a mate whose folks used to buy it. However, in hindsight is made sense -his dad thought he was Rambo. You know the sort, combat fatigues, obsessed with survival skills, never had a job, took his kids camping on the local roundabout…weirdo. 
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rob1742 said:
    Just a bit of context. As the OP I started
    this thread whilst having a shit in a Wetherspoons with my foot against the door as the lock was bust.

I was feeling sorry for myself ( first ever shit in a spoons ) and it made me think, whatever I am going through now was nothing compared to what I had to endure at school. 
    Immediately thought of this…

https://youtu.be/LiA8IZDerGo?si=4WlgdhQ5U7SR3NnJ
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    I remember using it as tracing paper at school as well as bog roll
    really terrible stuff and a bizarre concept .......slippery,scratchy,non-absorbent and transparent ;a chocolate teapot from the start
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14270
    tFB Trader
    I recall late the 60's and my grans house - Old fashioned 'Coronation St style' 2 up 2 down - Outside low - And Izal - I'm sure there were many good days and memories from the same era, but Izal somehow has a longer lasting memory with me
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    I remember Izal and Bronco type paper at my Nan and Grandad's house back in the '60's emblazoned with the British Railways logo. 

Unsurprisingly my Grandad worked for British Rail.  ;)
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    I remember it being the paper of choice at a campsite in the late 70s. It made going for a dump a real ordeal. 

I also remember an old Ben Elton routine where he talked about it being so unabsorbent that it could redistribute a complete turd from your arse to the top of your head. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24327
    Outdoor toilet, frozen in winter, ripped up newspaper on a rusty nail.
    Eee....  LUXURY!  We only 'ad the rusty nail!...  On a post in t'garden.  We dreamed of 'avin ripped up newspaper!
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 579
    Izal is all I can remember at home in the early fifties, maybe there was nothing else available. It wasn't until the mid sixties that we got something that worked.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9636
    My recollection of this stuff was that one side was shiny and the other wasn’t. Once you’d worked that out, life was a bit easier. Maybe my school had another brand?
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1413
    Ah Newspaper - soft(ish), strong and pre-filled with shit ... well the Mail had to be good for something.

With apologies to James Joyce.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong