Alternatives to Chuck Taylors

What's Hot
JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
I've worn Converse Chuck Taylor Hi Tops forever, they're light, comfortable and I like them. However, £60 - £100 is crazy. What's a good quality alternative?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1293
    Try shopping online for a sale. I've just googled 'chuck taylor high tops' and found at least four pairs at around 40 quid a pair from four different retailers including online Converse shop. Good selection of colours and sizes. 

Converse are the only trainers I wear and found no real substitute for them even though I tried. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PennPenn Frets: 621
    Look at Novesta. They are better made than converse, produced in Slovakia since the 30s and can often be had for 20/30 quid on sale. I’ve paid 15 quid for pairs before now. They are harder wearing than converse and I find them more comfortable. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27043
    Chuck 70s. Buy on sale. They’re awesome 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 639
    Beware of fakes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • PennPenn Frets: 621
    edited April 7
    I have some 70s. The fabric covering came away from the insoles rubber bit within a couple of months. Better than the standards as they don’t crack as quickly around the toes but not worth the money really. I paid 50 on sale. 
  • They are a silly price now. Like people have said, just keep an eye out for sales but watch out for fakes.  I wear them all the time and always on the look out for the next pair.

Some of the less expensive ones are surprisingly good though - my daughter bought a pair from Primark or the like recently because she wanted to experiment with bleaching designs on them - only about £10 or £15 and while they didn't last as long as Converse they certainly didn't fall apart in a quarter of the time.

I always used to buy Ruckanor back in the day - cheaper than Converse but just as good. Sadly hasn't been an option for decades though.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    This. 
    They are the same, but better. Better rubber, thicker sole and better canvas
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12340
    Check out Vinted
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27043
    Penn said:
    I have some 70s. The fabric covering came away from the insoles rubber bit within a couple of months. Better than the standards as they don’t crack as quickly around the toes but not worth the money really. I paid 50 on sale. 
    I’m surprised by that tbh. I’ve had a few pairs over the last few years and never had any issues beyond the odd lace breaking
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6834
    Theyre quite popular with the Yummy Mummys, so a post on Mumsnet might give some other options.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1939
    edited April 7
    Cheaper, better, leather, Italian. They are motorcycle urban street boots but you can wear them as trainers because they don't really look like bike boots. The other good thing is you're feet will stay dry because it's always pissing down. 

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/318010

Edit: Ignore that link they are only available in midget size at the moment. Look at this link and find similar. Might be more expensive that Converse but will keep your feet dry and they are...err...tough as old boots. 

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_search?s=urban+boots

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• distresseddistressed Frets: 531
    Vans classic, but now I see they're in the same price range in the UK :/
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24294
    I used to love Converse. But now I over pronate so I can’t wear them anymore.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9720
    I wear these now rather than Converse, I still like the look of converse but you can get like three pairs of these for the same price. I think they look pretty hip and cool and a bit different. They are marital arts shoes so they have a good grip but they feel nice and grounded when walking about in them as they are a thin sole. I don't do martial arts but i also don't play basketball to wear Cons haha

https://www.yellowmountain.co.uk/collections/frontpage/products/feiyue-kung-fu-shoes
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4170
    JCA2550 said:
    I've worn Converse Chuck Taylor Hi Tops forever, they're light, comfortable and I like them. However, £60 - £100 is crazy. What's a good quality alternative?
    Mine usually last 3 years or more , my black leather ones must be 3 or more years now 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4170
    Ps my current ones are black leather type like slash wears . They’re really nice & seem to last forever 
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    edited April 7
    Ps my current ones are black leather type like slash wears . They’re really nice & seem to last forever 
    .and they make you play like Slash.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7255
    Upgrade the laces on a pair of Hardly Beanton shoes and you will have a pair that are easily as good as, if not better than, other leading brands of casual footwear  ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Reverend said:
    This. 
    They are the same, but better. Better rubber, thicker sole and better canvas
    Shame about the glossy rubber though - looks terrible IMO.  I had a pair a couple of years ago when I didn't realise they existed - honestly thought I had a fake pair, really tacky.  But otherwise I agree, they are stronger.