Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5512
    'Totality' is today's word apparently.
    Like, totally.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6685
    ICBM said:
    merlin said:
    I went down to Cornwall to see it in all its glory. Abso-lucky-footling amazing. 
    You must have been in a luckier part of it than me... we went there too, and it was completely cloud covered. It did go dark, but it was something of a major disappointment, especially given how overcrowded it was. (I'm aware that we were part of the crowd!)
    We were in north Cornwall and there weren't any clouds and we got the full thing. Dogs barking, birds flying everywhere, darkness, cooler. Very impressive indeed.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18783
    I remember the partial in 1996 in the NE. Birds weren't flying anywhere, they were all off roosting as it got dark & cool.

This one

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited April 8
    merlin said:
    ICBM said:
    merlin said:
    I went down to Cornwall to see it in all its glory. Abso-lucky-footling amazing. 
    You must have been in a luckier part of it than me... we went there too, and it was completely cloud covered. It did go dark, but it was something of a major disappointment, especially given how overcrowded it was. (I'm aware that we were part of the crowd!)
    We were in north Cornwall and there weren't any clouds and we got the full thing. Dogs barking, birds flying everywhere, darkness, cooler. Very impressive indeed.  

We went to Port Isaac and stood with the whole village on the cliff. It had been getting slightly twilighty for about 30 minutes as the sliver of the sun got thinner and thinner, and we thought, is this it? What's all the fuss about? And then, I will never forget it, a MASSIVE shadow, a wall of darkness, hurtled towards us over the horizon and across the sea at 1000 miles an hour; it rushed over us and enveloped us; everything went immediately dark, all the seagulls flew out of the holes in the cliffs, squawking madly, the lights in the village all came on and the village twinkled like it was a winter's night, we'd all been sitting down on the grass but everyone just leapt to their feet as one, hysterically laughing, crying, dancing; we found ourselves holding hands and hugging people we didn't know as we jumped up and down, yelling our heads off. We only had 50 seconds I think, but it was absolutely magical. Then the end of the shadow, with daylight behind it, came rushing towards us again over the sea, the daylight was restored, we looked at each others' grinning and tear-streamed faces, and everyone slowly, breathlessly, made their way down the hill and back to their cottages again. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    Thick cloud here in the North East, so not even a partial eclipse visible.

On the other hand, my son, who has lived in New Jersey for a long time, is married to a Texan, so he and his family have been down in Texas for a few days to see the total eclipse. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4170
    Dominic said:
    Total eclipse of the heart
    Turn around bright eyes
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    DesVegas said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Was there a solar eclipse visible from the UK about 25 years ago?  I remember it was cloudy over London that day so you couldn't really see much, it didn't go properly dark but it certainly got darker and the temperature dropped.  It was quite eerie.
    Yes. I recall it exactly as you do. Little bit duller and a slight temperature drop.
    Me dad bought home welding glass plates so we could all see it . I remember the shadows ripling like water waves
     I remember similar on acid in the 90s
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5169
    I remember our eclipse in ‘99…..Southwest was bloody rammed solid  :s
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903
    ICBM said:
    merlin said:
    we went down there too
    stayed at a farm on the Lizard.

I'd given up on the cloud breaking up, and left my camera gear i the house.
    Just before the eclipse, a gap appeared in the clouds just where the sun was, we could hear lots of whooping and cheering from the small festival site about a mile away, and we got to see the whole thing.
    My photos are from a 35mm autofocus pocket camera though, so they look rubbish

I spoke to locals the next day who'd sailed out to sea 20 miles and still failed to see it, I'm glad we stayed put
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    Timcito said:
    I can understand astronomers and sky watchers getting excited over this, but everybody else? Meh ...
    But Earth is the only place we know of where it happens so precisely - nowhere else has the same alignment of sizes of bodies...

• SporkySporky Frets: 28317
    I liked the pictures from space. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 653
    ICBM said:
    There is no dark side of the Moon really.
    Matter of fact, it's all dark.
    Eh? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72378
    Kurtis said:
    ICBM said:
    There is no dark side of the Moon really.
    Matter of fact, it's all dark.
    Eh? 
    All that you touch
    And all that you see
    All that you taste
    All you feel
    And all that you love
    And all that you hate
    All you distrust
    All you save
    And all that you give
    And all that you deal
    And all that you buy, beg, borrow or steal
    And all you create
    And all you destroy
    And all that you do
    And all that you say
    And all that you eat
    And everyone you meet
    And all that you slight
    And everyone you fight
    And all that is now
    And all that is gone
    And all that's to come
    And everything under the sun is in tune
    But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Scientists noticed that animals behaved differently during an eclipse. That's incredible and extremely surprising. 
    We don't pay scientists anywhere near enough money.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14270
    tFB Trader
    Dominic said:
    Total eclipse of the heart
    Sounds like it has benefitted Bonnie - Chart success and more income - Even predicted to exceed $1 million
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16686
    https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGeuYW9bC/

An increase in searches for "my eyes hurt" closely correlates with time and path of the eclipse

I once joked with an optician about staring at an eclipse when they found an issue with my retina a few weeks after a partial one.   They did not find it funny.  It went in my referral letter to the hospital.  They didn't find it funny either. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7329
    WezV said:
    https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGeuYW9bC/

An increase in searches for "my eyes hurt" closely correlates with time and path of the eclipse

I once joked with an optician about staring at an eclipse when they found an issue with my retina a few weeks after a partial one.   They did not find it funny.  It went in my referral letter to the hospital.  They didn't find it funny either. 
    Shit… I’ve been looking at photos of it all morning… Will I be okay?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom