Car valeting question

What's Hot
goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6154
edited April 9 in Off Topic
My old car is coming out of storage, with a fresh MOT and ready to sell (unfortunately). But the interior has got a bit 'foisty' with lack of air, etc. I know I can get the leather reconnolised, but what sorts of material and techniques are best for removing the smell from headlining/carpets/etc?

Is it possible to do a wet vac of a car interior?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27570
    Depending on what the car is (and potential value) it may well be worth getting a full pro valet done.

Might cost you £50-£100 for a few hours work, but you'd probably get that back in a higher sale value, and/or an easier sale.

If it's a £1k old banger, then possibly not ( ;) ) but anything £5k upwards, it's probably worthwhile.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6154
    Yes, it's worth doing properly. Never had a car valeted other than the basic mobile fella, and I think this needs more of a deep clean than that. Industrial strength Shake-n-Vac or something! :anguished: 

The exterior is fine and scrubs up well already.
  • StrumitStrumit Frets: 46
    You can use something called an odour bomb.  They look like an aerosol but when pressed, they just continue to empty out without stopping.  The trick is to clean the interior, close all doors and windows, then stand the odour bomb on the car floor and press it.  As soon as it starts, get out of the car, close the door again and allow the odour bomb to "fog" the interior as stated on the instructions.  I used to leave mine overnight (we had a sweaty labrador!).  Do a Google for types and more info.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    edited April 9
    I've used Autoglym Odour Eliminator with good success (previous owner had dogs, one application later and you would never know)
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    Might try one of those odour bomb thingies - it's the sort of minimal effort work I was built for. Looks like Halfords have them - Meguiars. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    edited April 9
    You can get similar bombs that cleans out the ventilation system too.  Perhaps get both and run them back to back.  This type you will need the car running with the circulation set to internal. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1427
    Down to BmM and get one of those damp absorber thingies. Then as a few have discussed vent bomb type thing. 
  • StrumitStrumit Frets: 46
    If you have aircon, it should extract moisture from the interior if you leave it running.
    nero1701 said:
    Down to BmM and get one of those damp absorber thingies. Then as a few have discussed vent bomb type thing. 
    This thingy?

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/unibond-aero-360-moisture-absorber-device-309776

Just leave it to do its work and then empty it out?
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1241
    Giving it a good clean and an air freshener will likely remove most of the smell. Plus leaving it parked in the sun with the windows slightly open will make sure it's dried out.

As has been said, if you don't want to do it yourself, just get a valeter in to give it a good clean.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Can recommend Neutradol Spray: https://www.neutradol.com/products/original-aerosol-300ml they also do carpet deodoriser.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    Do a simple neutrodol deodorise , then,
    spray everything with Aqua di Palma 'Leather '.......expensive but exquisite 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18783
    m_c said:
    Giving it a good clean and an air freshener will likely remove most of the smell. Plus leaving it parked in the sun with the windows slightly open will make sure it's dried out.

As has been said, if you don't want to do it yourself, just get a valeter in to give it a good clean.
    Please Sir, what's 'the sun' ?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    indeed
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    edited April 9
    Take it to your local hand wash place - Albanians our way.

£25 will sort it.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 652
    Take it to your local hadn't wash place - Albanians our way.

£25 will sort it.
    Unwashed Albanians did what?! 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18783

£25 will sort it.
    I know it's a typo but a 'hadn't wash place' is exactly what such a facility should be called.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542

£25 will sort it.
    I know it's a typo but a 'hadn't wash place' is exactly what such a facility should be called.
    =)
    Take it to your local hand wash place - Albanians our way.

£25 will sort it.
    I was after a step up from trafficked/exploited levels of service. Not knocking the Albanians that you know, but I was imagining the sort of person who can get bloodstains out of the creases in my leather. Like Harvey Keitel in Pulp Fiction (surprisingly relevant).

Not that there are any bloodstains, but that's the level of expertise I am hoping to call upon.

If person X can do a pretty good job for £100, and person Y can do a great job for £200, I'll take person Y. On this occasion.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1241

Please Sir, what's 'the sun' ?
    I hear it's some big yellow thing that appears in the sky occasionally?

On a serious note, I went for a bicycle ride after work yesterday, and sat at a picnic table in just a T-shirt afterwards enjoying the warmth.
    It did only last 15 minutes until the rain started though :(