Finally joined a band

What's Hot
MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3032
It’s seven years since I took up the guitar again after a long gap, and in that time I’ve only played with a band at the FB Bristol Jam. Wanted to join a band but never found an opportunity and I’m not confident enough to go out there looking for it.

Anyway, it’s happened. An old mate got in touch.. he’s a trumpet player and the leader of a local brass band. He’s starting an offshoot jazz/funk band … drums, double bass, keys, two guitars and a horn section. Had three practices so far, doing Cantaloupe Island, 25 or 6 to 4, Pass the Peas, Tequila… the good thing is the brass band has its own hall to practice in. 

It’s good fun, mate wants to do gigs eventually, though will need a pa system. It’s a bit civilised at the moment but hopefully people will loosen up eventually. 

Finally getting to play my gear in a band situation is brilliant … really liking the Orange Rocker 15 clean channel, with a SD1 and a DOD Carcosa for dirt. Strymon Flint is perfect for these tunes. BMF wah sound awesome. Using my Les Paul Standard 60’s, the thick thick tone works well with these tunes. Playing with a horn section is very cool! It’s a very different experience from a normal rock band, with my mate acting as band leader in front, and using sheet music.. can’t read music but I can follow the arrangement. 

Anyway, just wanted to share my excitement after reading about so many of your band experiences. Hopefully there will be more to report in the future. 

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8733
    I can feel your excitement.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 864
    I never forget when I bought my first guitar, a Kay SG copy for £43.
    i remember standing in front of the mirror with my guitar thinking how I would love to be in a band and just going wild, but also thinking nah, it’s just a dream, don’t kid yourself.
       And yet years later…no, I wasn’t famous or a fantastic musician, but I did experience those moments on stage that as a 16 year old thought could only ever be a dream.
       My point being, we sometimes forget just how lucky we are just to be able to play an instrument, let alone the massive buzz we get from playing with others, recording, gigs, etc.
       embrace every step and enjoy…it’s a beautiful thing to be part of.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3032
    edited April 9
    Yes @Petepassion .. I’ve been fairly cautious about it at first in case it doesn’t work out, but will now let myself get excited about it and embrace the experience.

I did play a gig when I was about 20 …it was amazing but it seemed for a long time that was the end of my live career. It’s good to be part of something again..
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 864
    Get stuck in and do as much as you can…you may surprise yourself 
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3884
    MagicGigDetective?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4191
    It’s seven years since I took up the guitar again after a long gap, and in that time I’ve only played with a band at the FB Bristol Jam. Wanted to join a band but never found an opportunity and I’m not confident enough to go out there looking for it.

Anyway, it’s happened. An old mate got in touch.. he’s a trumpet player and the leader of a local brass band. He’s starting an offshoot jazz/funk band … drums, double bass, keys, two guitars and a horn section. Had three practices so far, doing Cantaloupe Island, 25 or 6 to 4, Pass the Peas, Tequila… the good thing is the brass band has its own hall to practice in. 

It’s good fun, mate wants to do gigs eventually, though will need a pa system. It’s a bit civilised at the moment but hopefully people will loosen up eventually. 

Finally getting to play my gear in a band situation is brilliant … really liking the Orange Rocker 15 clean channel, with a SD1 and a DOD Carcosa for dirt. Strymon Flint is perfect for these tunes. BMF wah sound awesome. Using my Les Paul Standard 60’s, the thick thick tone works well with these tunes. Playing with a horn section is very cool! It’s a very different experience from a normal rock band, with my mate acting as band leader in front, and using sheet music.. can’t read music but I can follow the arrangement. 

Anyway, just wanted to share my excitement after reading about so many of your band experiences. Hopefully there will be more to report in the future. 

That’s brilliant mate  I like that Chicago one & like herbie Hancock too . Awesome sounds like great fun 
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 976
    Well done @MagicPigDetective , enjoy and make the most of it. Being in a band is fun, being in a band where they let you use a wah is golden.
  • ScreamingDaveScreamingDave Frets: 553
    This what it’s all about!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24466
    Brilliant stuff!

You'll learn more playing with other people for an hour than you would 10 hours playing along to a CD.

Don't be afraid of making mistakes - you are only ever 1 fret away from a right note.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4987
    Well done mate, enjoy the experience.  It is one of the great 'highs' for a musician.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6728
    Very excited for you. Really want to find people to make music with
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.