NGD Taylor solid body

What's Hot
kentuckyklirakentuckyklira Frets: 961
This is a Taylor SB-1 X. I was always curious about these, they just don´t show up often, at least not reasonably priced.

Of course, the guitar is extremely well built, everything works, no sharp frets etc.. It plays very well, the neck is pretty much medium everything. Action is already low but I´m sure it could get lower without any buzz issues.

It sounds, let´s say different. I still have to figure out what exactly positions 2 and 4 do with the 5 position pick up switch and which tone I like most. I guess it won´t do high gain heavy metal, but I didn´t expect it to. Bluesy crunchy tones through a Fender Hot Rod de Ville sound very nice, bridge pick up not too high and chimey, neck pick up stays well defined, certainly not muddy.

Fun little coincidence, just saw a preview of the Amy Winehouse movie and there´s a scene with her in the studio and a Taylor just like mine in the guitar stand.

Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3769
    They make great acoustics and I’ve often been curious. Looks cool. HNGD. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11923
    Oooh nice.  Plenty of cues in there.  Never seen one before but I like it.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2402
    Very cool! Are the pickups minihums or Firebirds or something else?
    Tim
  • kentuckyklirakentuckyklira Frets: 961
    timmypix said:
    Very cool! Are the pickups minihums or Firebirds or something else?
    According to the review I read they´re Taylor´s own design, my guess is as good as yours as to who actually made them.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14319
    tFB Trader
    They have a cool vibe - Is it me, or do they have something similar in appearance to the Ovation Electric Guitars (solid body) from the 70's

Interesting in how guitar manufactures often struggle to compete in a market place they never started off in - I recall at the time when Taylor launched the electric/solid body range, that they intended to be #3, behind Gibson and Fender within X years - My point is that Gibson have succeeded with electrics and acoustics, but just about devoid of any sales in the bass market - Fender have succeeded with guitar plus bass, and almost nothing with regards to acoustic - Martin flopped when they decided to go into the electric market - Ditto Ovation - Ditto Taylor - Sure there are other examples 

You become a major player in one market segment, maybe two, but not all

Good news for potential buyers of Taylor solid body models is that they are more affordable as 'small demand' - That might well change when the next big superstar/hype plays a Taylor electric solid body and then the whole world wants want - Jack White style
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 794
    edited May 5
    Looks great. I have one too. Sounds excellent. Neck is great. Only issue with mine is that it is heavy 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11923
    Are they all MIA?
  • BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 140
    That bridge looks like an incredibly complex piece of engineering.
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 846
    I never realised Taylor made an electric guitar! They look great, enjoy.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14319
    tFB Trader
    Offset said:
    Are they all MIA?
    Believe so - Think it was only around for 5-6-7 years from around 2008 - I can't even remember stocking/selling one, but would have sold many regular electro acoustic models back in the day
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 140
    Offset said:
    Are they all MIA?
    Believe so - Think it was only around for 5-6-7 years from around 2008 - I can't even remember stocking/selling one, but would have sold many regular electro acoustic models back in the day

Looking at the Taylor website, the only electrics showing now are the various hybrid models.
  • Ozzie744Ozzie744 Frets: 38
    I've always liked the look of those solid body Taylors
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2467
    There's one of these for sale locally to me, I'd love to try it but the pricing is optimistic. Looks good, though they missed a trick by not having a piezo pickup in the bridge
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27649
    They have a cool vibe - Is it me, or do they have something similar in appearance to the Ovation Electric Guitars (solid body) from the 70's

Not just you!

I have a definite appreciation of Taylors (4 currently) and you know you're going to get something that's quality and a little bit different to the mainstream.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • kentuckyklirakentuckyklira Frets: 961
    I can´t see much resemblance to my Ovation Breadwinner to be honest.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1705
    i tried a few when they came out and loved them  but could not afford them .Very playable  favorite neck .I believe they did  alternative loaded  pick guards.   i would still buy one today as my  to go guitar but sadly have no where to go due to old age ,health and a wife determined to  save my soul ,bank balance and well being .

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nikharrisonnikharrison Frets: 96
    We have some Taylor solidbody guitars in Symphony Music & Tech store in Wigan which are just used by the tutors (with one of them being this model and this colour, that I use all the time). They're superb instruments! 
    Teacher, musician, generally an enthusiastic and peaceful idealist. Run the Contemporary Guitar Performance Workshop education project and the Audio Design Workshop studio. Online guitar and piano/keyboard lessons available over Zoom/Skype.