Using the GX-100 to switch amp channels

Not sure if anyone here can weigh in with some sage advice. I can't find assistance in the manual. Or the interweb. Basically I've got the GX-100 set up in 4CM with my amp and I'd like to switch channels and at the same time switch on an effect. Specifically, I'd like chorus on when I select the clean channel. So I assigned a footswitch to trigger AMP CTL and also toggle Chorus ON/OFF. The problem is...it's doing it the wrong way. It swiches chorus on when I go to the dirty channel. Which was great in the 80s but not what I'm trying to do today. Any ideas? It doesn't look like you can change the polarity of the AMP CTL and if I switch the chorus off manually (via the pedal controls or the screen) then it just ignores the first press of the footswitch and I'm back at square 1. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    Have you tried manually switching off the chorus before hand? Ie chorus off and amp on dirty. It’s a toggle so seems to work in the state it’s at the time of doing the switch.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12924
    I don't have a Gx-100 in front of me but you can invert the min/max settings in the Assign menu for the chorus and it should do what you want.

What I'm trying to say is - go to the assign for the chorus, and turn the MIN value from "off" to "on" and the MAX value from "on" to "off".

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12924
    Similar thing done here 

• gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
    I don't have a Gx-100 in front of me but you can invert the min/max settings in the Assign menu for the chorus and it should do what you want.

What I'm trying to say is - go to the assign for the chorus, and turn the MIN value from "off" to "on" and the MAX value from "on" to "off".

Brilliant - thanks!

I've had the GX-100 for a little while now but I haven't had to change anything on it for ages so it's a bit like starting again!  =)
    edited April 12
    How are people finding the GX100 in a band situation?

I've had the GT1000, core, and several stomps, and on a whim bought a GX100 last week.   My use case for this is home practice and  for a run of shows Ive got with a band in the summer where  I really don't want to be lugging around  lots of gear.

I might also take it along to other gigs in case my pedalboard goes down.  I don't have time in a gig to troubleshoot which cable has failed on the pedalboard. This has happened a couple of times, so having something I can just whack into my amp as a backup  would get me through the gig.

So far,  I've found the GX100 much easier to use compared to the GT1000.   The touch screen is really easy to use and it seems a lot  easier to dial in a patch than the GT100 which was always a  bit convoluted.

One thing I'm struggling with is that the routing on the GX100 seems a lot less flexible than the  GT1000 (which was superb).  For example, it was really easy to hook up the unit to a guitar amp and/or PA/FRFR without having to alter anything on the patches.   I think you can kind of do that with the GX100 but It doesn't seem as flexible in that you only have  one mixer/divide/effects loop  so I can't see how I could run the 4cm to an amp and also have an output going straight to FOH. Anyone able to do that?

I'm also concerned that after spending ages on making patches in the house, I'll whack it into a band situation only for it to sound utterly crap.  That was my experience with the Stomp, and also with the GT1000 to a slightly lesser degree. I did gig with the GT1000  a few times but it was never as good an experience as using a normal pedalboard.  Anyone got any good tips/experience of overcoming that?

• gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
    thomasw88 said:

One thing I'm struggling with is that the routing on the GX100 seems a lot less flexible than the  GT1000 (which was superb).  For example, it was really easy to hook up the unit to a guitar amp and/or PA/FRFR without having to alter anything on the patches.   I think you can kind of do that with the GX100 but It doesn't seem as flexible in that you only have  one mixer/divide/effects loop  so I can't see how I could run the 4cm to an amp and also have an output going straight to FOH. Anyone able to do that?
    I haven't explored this fully but from what I've read and seen on the unit, I don't think you can easily do this. You can't have an IR as a separate block at the end of the chain and use a S/R block just before it to send to a power amp - which is something you could do with the unit I used to have (Headrush). The problem with the Headrush was that the with/without IR sound was so wildly different, you couldn't really make that work anyway. I find with the GX-100, all you have to do to go from FRFR to a real cab, is switch off the IR and it sounds good. So, it's a shame the routing isn't more flexible. I mean, it can be done - by using a DIV block and duplicating your setup, having one amp with IR, one without, then use a S/R block at the end of one chain. Not ideal, but useable. Personally, I tend to run it into a power amp -> cab and just mic that up for FOH. I'm thinking of going full FRFR. 4CM also works well.
    thomasw88 said:

I haven't explored this fully but from what I've read and seen on the unit, I don't think you can easily do this. You can't have an IR as a separate block at the end of the chain and use a S/R block just before it to send to a power amp - which is something you could do with the unit I used to have (Headrush). The problem with the Headrush was that the with/without IR sound was so wildly different, you couldn't really make that work anyway. I find with the GX-100, all you have to do to go from FRFR to a real cab, is switch off the IR and it sounds good. So, it's a shame the routing isn't more flexible. I mean, it can be done - by using a DIV block and duplicating your setup, having one amp with IR, one without, then use a S/R block at the end of one chain. Not ideal, but useable. Personally, I tend to run it into a power amp -> cab and just mic that up for FOH. I'm thinking of going full FRFR. 4CM also works well.
    Yeah that’s what I thought as well.  The gt1000 routing was superb in that respect, but I prefer the workflow and interface of the gx100.  I’ll probably just build some patches for going into a proper amp.