Reverb - Mogwai, Ronson, etc - garbled Friday nonsense

ewalewal Frets: 2584
edited April 15 in Music
Two beers, and a glass of wine later - yep, it's Friday evening music rumination folks.

So at some point in this week's tune writing efforts, I started to think I need that sustained reverby sound Mogwai do in songs like I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead (see below, what a superb tune...), and I just can't work it out - it's not just tremolo picking, it has to be something they're doing with the distortion or eq settings so you don't hear the pick attack, maybe setting mix high on reverb with decay low? Whatever... an e-bow sounds much the same...

Anyway time to put the guitar down for another day. I watched Sound with Mark Ronson - the episode about reverb. Appropriate watching when you're trying to emulate Mogwai... And I realise/wonder that my problem with reverb is that I play too many notes/chords, meaning you never hear the reverb. I need to learn to leave space otherwise what's the point...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHN-OiKp9ww

The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28339
    edited April 13
    I think that's reverb into dirt. It's got a hint of that MBV/early Slowdive thing. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ewalewal Frets: 2584
    Yes. Maybe quite a bright reverb going in some sort of dirt. And there's modulation in there somewhere too - more obvious on the studio recording.
    I definitely think I need to buy a new pedal to achieve it. Maybe a Cloudburst. (Any excuse....)
    Having watched this a few times now. I've concluded that neither guitarist is playing the sustained effect that fades in at the start. It has to be an ebow...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28339
    Do they use a backing track at all? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7877
    Lots of delay in there. 
    edited April 16
    Pretty sure it's some sort of loop or backing track. You can see and hear the point when Alex starts to play the same part.

Which implies the drummer/band is playing to a click track. Never thought Mogwai were the type of band to do that.