Advice please Kemper Stage v Fractal FM3

What's Hot
jimkehoejimkehoe Frets: 208
edited April 14 in Digital & Modelling
I currently have a Kemper Stage that I use for both Acoustic and Electric and really like it.
I predominantly play clean using a tele and a Strat and my acoustics both have LR Baggs anthems. 
I am curious about the Fractal FM3, purely for smaller form and less knobs !
Will the FM3 do what I want and is there any benefit over the Kemper Stage ?
TIA.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6836
    Your title says FM9 , do you mean FM9 or FM3?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2165
    I think the Fractal stuff is far better than the Kemper stuff. 

That’s just me tho. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9547
    Jim, if you are happy and it works for you, Id stick with the Kemper.

I've tried em all, and I think the Fractal edges it for sounds. But it's marginal...

I actually miss my Kemper, and could be tempted to get another in the future.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    Both FM-3 and FM-9 will do what you want. They will give you more FX types, and better FX quality than the Kemper. It depend on whether FX are important for what you do.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • jimkehoejimkehoe Frets: 208
    mrkb said:
    Your title says FM9 , do you mean FM9 or FM3?
    Yes - FM3.

I've tried em all, and I think the Fractal edges it for sounds. But it's marginal...

Interesting to know your thoughts/advice Waz. Always informed.
    It’s predominantly the smaller footprint and my curiosity to try Fractal which I never have in the past. (Which I’m sure you identify with ).

Roland said:
    Both FM-3 and FM-9 will do what you want. They will give you more FX types, and better FX quality than the Kemper. It depend on whether FX are important for what you do.
    Subtle but high quality effects — reverb, chorus, tremolo and delays along with 3 or 4 sweet, convincing amps ( clean to Americana/blues type o/d, rarely more rock, and not metal sounds) are paramount.
  • ZenRigsManZenRigsMan Frets: 17
    jimkehoe said:

It’s predominantly the smaller footprint and my curiosity to try Fractal which I never have in the past. (Which I’m sure you identify with ).
    Hey mate! Although there’s no place to go and try a fractal (unless you’re near me and have beer), there is a 30 day no quibble return policy with G66 so you can try things out in the comfort of your own environment and without any rush. 

So, if you’re curious, that’s one way to check it out and see if it’s right for you :-)

Sukh 

I manage Fractal Audio distributor G66 UK (official distributor of Fractal Audio products in the UK) and am also the guy behind a little accessory company called ZenRigs. I also provide private Fractal related training and teach guitar. Hello!
    http://www.g66.eu/   http://www.zenrigs.com/
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 403
    I have previously considered changing from my Kemper Stage to FM3 for the same reason, size and weight. There is not a lot in it but it can make a difference when you have to take the tube to some gigs.

After experimenting for a while, I decided against it.

While the FM3 has a few nice effects not available on the Kemper, I thought the actual amps sounds are quite a bit better on the Kemper, especially for clean and edge of breakup amp sounds. That's more important for me plus the Kemper offers better recording options than the FM3 for my uses as well.
    jimkehoe said:

Hey mate! Although there’s no place to go and try a fractal (unless you’re near me and have beer), there is a 30 day no quibble return policy with G66 so you can try things out in the comfort of your own environment and without any rush. 

So, if you’re curious, that’s one way to check it out and see if it’s right for you :-)

Sukh 

Useful to know. Thanks Sukh. Probably would be looking for a used one though.

susbemol said:
    I have previously considered changing from my Kemper Stage to FM3 for the same reason, size and weight. There is not a lot in it but it can make a difference when you have to take the tube to some gigs.

After experimenting for a while, I decided against it.

While the FM3 has a few nice effects not available on the Kemper, I thought the actual amps sounds are quite a bit better on the Kemper, especially for clean and edge of breakup amp sounds. That's more important for me plus the Kemper offers better recording options than the FM3 for my uses as well.
    Again really useful. Thanks.
    Maybe I need to stick with the Stage.
    Gas and curiosity are cruel afflictions!
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    What I personally like about the Fractal ecosystem is the level of flexibility and control that is there if you need it.
    You don't have to go beyond the basics to get a great sound but if there's a tone in your head, you should be able to get it from the Fractal stuff. My understanding regarding Kemper is that you have to search to find the profile that is "just right"  - I guess that's the difference between the Fractal modelling approach and Kemper's profiling approach.
    I've had an FM3 and now an FM9 and think they are both excellent, but I haven't tried a Kemper.

Another important thing to consider is how you are going to hear/ monitor it - I'm guessing as you have an electro acoustic that an FRFR speaker/ monitor is pretty key, as opposed to a power amp and cab?
    Your choice in this area can have a big impact in how satisfied you are with the tones you're hearing.

Beexter said:
    What I personally like about the Fractal ecosystem is the level of flexibility and control that is there if you need it.
    You don't have to go beyond the basics to get a great sound but if there's a tone in your head, you should be able to get it from the Fractal stuff. My understanding regarding Kemper is that you have to search to find the profile that is "just right"  - I guess that's the difference between the Fractal modelling approach and Kemper's profiling approach.
    I've had an FM3 and now an FM9 and think they are both excellent, but I haven't tried a Kemper.

Another important thing to consider is how you are going to hear/ monitor it - I'm guessing as you have an electro acoustic that an FRFR speaker/ monitor is pretty key, as opposed to a power amp and cab?
    Your choice in this area can have a big impact in how satisfied you are with the tones you're hearing.

Thanks for your input.
    All my sounds are via PA, In fact 3 x Bose S1Pro + live (Just me and a female singer) and 1 x S1 Pro + at home and practising. I need a slightly fuller sound to fill things out as no other instruments, especially just using single coils.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 844
    Aside from the physical differences, which are pretty obvious, The choice of kemper v Fractal ALWAYS boils down to the same thing for me.

1.  The KEMPER way - is to find an amp you like the sound of, and profile that amp.   You get a copy of that amp but arnt getting away from that (in the one profile obvisouly).

2.  The Fractal way is to give you the tools to create the sound in your head. You wont get as close a a kemper will if you want a sound youve heard, but will get you exactly what you want to hear if you if you can use the tools.

3.  Fractals FX are just better, as is the routing.  Its usually the decider if you dont mind either workflow.

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6836
    Aside from the physical differences, which are pretty obvious, The choice of kemper v Fractal ALWAYS boils down to the same thing for me.

1.  The KEMPER way - is to find an amp you like the sound of, and profile that amp.   You get a copy of that amp but arnt getting away from that (in the one profile obvisouly).

2.  The Fractal way is to give you the tools to create the sound in your head. You wont get as close a a kemper will if you want a sound youve heard, but will get you exactly what you want to hear if you if you can use the tools.

3.  Fractals FX are just better, as is the routing.  It’s usually the decider if you dont mind either workflow.
    Agreed, the Kemper is capturing the sound of one set of settings on an amp, if you turn the estimated tone or drive controls away from that, it’s estimating what the amp would sound like. 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Thanks - Looks like I’m going to have to scratch that itch !
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9547
    Another thing Jim, the FM3 has one of the best loopers ive ever had. The reverse feature is superb.
    Another thing Jim, the FM3 has one of the best loopers ive ever had. The reverse feature is superb.
    Excellent. Another tick :)
    FM3 now sourced.
    I will make the comparison and decide :)
    Thanks all for help/advice.
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 188
    Go to the fractal forum and download the latest beta firmware it is next level (when you get the unit) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom