PRS Custom 24

What's Hot
BarneyBarney Frets: 621
Anyone find the custom 24 awkward to play ....action is fine ..it seems to be the neck width or something I feel as though I just struggle a lot more than I do with say a a strat 

Just wondering iff it can get better with usage or it's just not for me ...anyone find similar 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4196
    I've never got on with a prs.  Always feels in fighting it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14920
    The issue might be explained by the half inch difference in scale length - especially if you use the same string gauges for both.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 621
    Lfastonebaz said:
    I've never got on with a prs.  Always feels in fighting it. 

That's exactly how it feels for me ...and not really sure why 
    The issue might be explained by the half inch difference in scale length - especially if you use the same string gauges for both.

I just use 9 to 42 ..it could be the scale length 
  • SixStringSageSixStringSage Frets: 135
    I had a Custom 24, loved it at first but when I played it for any length of time I found more things I didn't get on with.

Specifically, the frets felt like tombstones under my fingers when I played lead along the neck, and the neck was too thin for me.

Sold it to help buy an R9 and have never given it a second thought.
    I had a Custom 24, loved it at first but when I played it for any length of time I found more things I didn't get on with.

Specifically, the frets felt like tombstones under my fingers when I played lead along the neck, and the neck was too thin for me.

IV only had this a few months I got it in a trade but I think it might have to be traded or something...it's a 2001 10 top ...been played so not perfect and a Anderson pickup in the bridge ...not really sure what trade value is on them 

• SixStringSageSixStringSage Frets: 135
    Barney said:

IV only had this a few months I got it in a trade but I think it might have to be traded or something...it's a 2001 10 top ...been played so not perfect and a Anderson pickup in the bridge ...not really sure what trade value is on them 

Not sure about those ages, mine was a 2015 10 top. I think I got £2100 for it
  • PALPAL Frets: 569
    For me I discovered the 22 fret guitars felt more comfortable probably due to the bridge being further back on the body of the guitar. I'm now playing DGT Mahogany Standard. Hope his helps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • daisie_guitardaisie_guitar Frets: 146
    Barney said:
    I just use 9 to 42 ..it could be the scale length 
    An uncoated 9.5-44 set, or Elixir's 9-42 Optiweb would give you roughly the same tension as most uncoated 9-42 on a strat. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24198
    PAL said:
    For me I discovered the 22 fret guitars felt more comfortable probably due to the bridge being further back on the body of the guitar. 
    Agreed, I think the 24 fret PRS guitars have a bit of the SG thing - the neck feels too long and too too far to the left.  I prefer the 22 fret models.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2957
    Philly_Q said:
    PAL said:
    For me I discovered the 22 fret guitars felt more comfortable probably due to the bridge being further back on the body of the guitar. 
    Agreed, I think the 24 fret PRS guitars have a bit of the SG thing - the neck feels too long and too too far to the left.  I prefer the 22 fret models.

Same here. I absolutely love the 22 fretters, but the 24s' geometry just don't work for me, my fretting hand feels like it has to be miles away.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2482
    Always a love/hate with PRS. In the early 90's I personally felt the CU24's were too slick and easy to play and they ruined playing any Fender afterwards for me so I sold the couple I had. I later bought back an 80's old school 24 in Vintage Yellow....great to look at but rarely play it. Didn't get along with the large neck heels on the DGT or the Custom 22's and was never a fan of wide/thin nor wide/fat profiles. Had a Hiland briefly too that was really heavy. I'll stick with the regular profile Custom. 
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3883
    Dings and a pickup swap won’t make it an easy sale, unless priced very well. The older models with the older tuners are also to many not very desirable. I’d think circa £1,600-£1,800 - although in this odd market…

I tried many a CU24 when I was rampaging through guitars. I still kind of regret getting rid of a raw maple necked one (it’s available at the moment actually). Now I love Suhr, EBMM JP models, I’m again curious. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    Dings and a pickup swap won’t make it an easy sale, unless priced very well. The older models with the older tuners are also to many not very desirable. I’d think circa £1,600-£1,800 - although in this odd market…

I tried many a CU24 when I was rampaging through guitars. I still kind of regret getting rid of a raw maple necked one (it’s available at the moment actually). Now I love Suhr, EBMM JP models, I’m again curious. 

I only tried one Musicman it's was silhouette...no trem though so it was no good for me ...but I really liked the guitar a lot ...saying that I have been playing on this PRS all night and it is starting to grow on me .... previously I was just picking it up for maybe 15 mins and thinking it's not for me ...but im starting to like it a lot ....hope it carries on that way :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73533
    Bidley said:

Same here. I absolutely love the 22 fretters, but the 24s' geometry just don't work for me, my fretting hand feels like it has to be miles away.
    This, exactly - despite the difference only being about 3/4”. The 22-fret PRS fits me physically better than any other guitar, but I don’t like the 24 at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bencam1997bencam1997 Frets: 21
    Ive had a few variations of custom 24's, some american and some se. All of them great but I'd say the same things as above, mainly about the 'sg effect' and some other bits like where the pickup selector tends to be aswell just isnt my favourite. Ive recently got ahold of this s2 mccarty and it honestly might be the best guitar ive ever played, id stretch to saying life changingly good to play, which is crazy

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom