String gauge

What's Hot

Comments

• freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1210
    I was 10-46 forever but since I've discovered Stringjoy I use their 10 - 48 on my Mustang and 9.5 - 46 on everything else. 
    Link to my trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8724
    I was 10-46 forever but since I've discovered Stringjoy I use their 10 - 48 on my Mustang and 9.5 - 46 on everything else. 
    Is this because of sound, or feel, or something else?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4234
    Dan_Halen said:
    Nerine said:
    I use what feels and sounds right to me. 

I will absolutely NOT watch a video that tells me why I **should** or **need** to be doing any different. 

Too many creators, not enough topics. 
    I get your point and obviously think people should use their own ears. However, for a lot of people, videos about this sort of stuff can be a valuable learning tool. 
    Not sure why it would be a bad idea for me to listen to and learn from those with more experience than myself. As long as I’ve got the common sense to apply my own critical thinking and not just swallow it whole, it’s a way of looking at stuff differently or consider things you might not have previously. Yes it’s all about making content and harvesting clicks, but seems daft to assume there’s no value in any of it. 
    I think in this instance it's all useful commentary because it's actually discussing something that players might not need - i.e. they might not need to be struggling with strings they find uncomfortable in the interest of tone. The narrative that says big strings = big tone is so entrenched in guitar lore than anything that presents an alternative view is useful, I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24411
    For my strat in E flat I'm a convert to 8-46 as well. They are lovely.
    My LP type currently has 10s in E standard but I might try a 9-46 and see if that works.

Mind you sometimes I like to tune the LP to D or drop C and that's not going to work. 10-52 would probably be spot on for that.

It gets very expensive to experiment with strings!
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3084
    9-42 on everything. I put roundcores on my Fenders and hex cores on my Gibson.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24411
    9-42 on everything. I put roundcores on my Fenders and hex cores on my Gibson.

When I started playing 35+ years ago I used 9-42, but then went up to Ernie hybrids at 9-46. I put them on everything too.

Not as much choice back then though!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17642
    tFB Trader
    I watched a video comparing light bass strings to heavy and it was surprising how different they sounded.

Light bass strings have a lot more top end and heavy are more thumpy at the low end, but lose a lot of top end detail.

I always went as heavy as I could stand because I assumed thick strings = better, but it makes you think.

I was 11s on everything, but I go 10s on Strats 11s on PRS and Gibson now and I might go thinner now I don't play as much.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4842
    I went to 10s from 11s on Gibson scale again and I'm pretty happy now, made very little discernable difference really.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• PFAllen2PFAllen2 Frets: 244
    Nerine said:

I will absolutely NOT watch a video that tells me why I **should** or **need** to be doing any different. 

While I agree with that in principle, I think it is interesting to think about why some people might pick a different gauge.  I had 10s on my first electric guitar (cheap 70s LP copy) because it was just the popular/middle-ground gauge and I've just sort of stuck with that because it's what I'm used to.  I certainly wouldn't change because somebody on youtube tells me I should but I still find it an interesting subject.

Slightly off-topic, but related... My first "proper" instrument was clarinet. Beginners start off with a soft reed because it's easier to get a sound with undeveloped embouchure muscles, then move on to harder reeds as you progress. This gives the impression that harder reeds are better, in an almost bizarrely macho way.  It wasn't until later that I realised a lot of famous players (certainly in non-classical styles) used quite soft reeds - it's a bit harder to control intonation and squeaks but can give a fantastic tone.  There are other variables apart from the reed strength (shape/width of the mouthpiece opening etc) but it's a very similar subject to the "heavier strings are best for tone" thing with guitars.
    I think some of the debate arises from players aging and struggling with greater string tension and decreased finger strength. Better to be comfortable in playing and bending in tune than doggedly sticking to your string guage ( Twas good enough for your father and grandfather etc.)

Interesting info about the clarinet, my son plays one so I must mention your observation.

Click here for my Trading Feedback
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 534
    From 10-52 to 13-56 on a 25,5 scale, depends on the guitar/mood.
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1210
    Roland said:
    Is this because of sound, or feel, or something else?
    It's entirely feel.  More comfortable to play and Stringjoy stay fresh for longer.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2170
    Nerine said:

I’ll add that I appreciate my comment may come across as absolute. I’ll clarify a bit. 

My disdain comes from content creators seeing that someone posted a video about string gauge therefore they feel the need to do the same. 

How much commentary do we need on it? 

Especially as it can potentially cause opinion paralysis… 
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 188
    I use 10-46 on more delicate feeling guitars (for me it’s a pre vela and Ibanez az)

but my preference is 10-52, I love the tuning stability (when you did in) for recording , I’ve also noticed better tuning when used with a capo … I have no idea how much it has on sound, it’s all about the feel for me 
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Until very recently I've used 10-46 on Fender style an 11-49 or 11-52 on Gibson style. I've been experimenting with 9-46 and had just about got used to it, but as it happens, I picked up my Tele tonight which still has 10s and it felt like coming home.
    I'll persevere with the 9s if only because I bought a 3 pack :)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8724
    Nerine said:
    Nerine said:

… My disdain comes from content creators seeing that someone posted a video about string gauge therefore they feel the need to do the same … 
    I have a similar disdain for “you need” and “you’re doing it wrong” videos. There is a lot that can be learned from YouTube but, with limited time, I prefer to watch those which might contain something useful. The clickbait ones are less likely to, and some of them are just plain wrong. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72448
    I used to use 11s on everything, both electric and acoustic - even 12-string, tuned down to D - I liked the similar feel, since I play electric like an acoustic and vice versa… I’ve never agreed with the idea that they’re different instruments.

I still use 11s on acoustic - I really don’t hear the big tone difference between 11s and 12s, especially as two of the strings (A and D) are exactly the same gauge usually, but I’ve started using 10s on electric. Just a little easier to play and no significant tone difference. I borrowed an Ibanez RG for a while recently and had 9s on that because that’s what the owner used, it was absolutely fine. If I buy one I’ll probably do the same, although I might get a custom gauge set (9/12/15 - 11 is too light for the B and 16 slightly too heavy for the G in a standard set).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1867
    normula1 said:
    Until very recently I've used 10-46 on Fender style an 11-49 or 11-52 on Gibson style. I've been experimenting with 9-46 and had just about got used to it, but as it happens, I picked up my Tele tonight which still has 10s and it felt like coming home.
    I'll persevere with the 9s if only because I bought a 3 pack :)
    It would take me years to use up a 3 pack nowadays! ;)
  • jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 641
    ICBM said:
    I borrowed an Ibanez RG for a while recently and had 9s on that because that’s what the owner used, it was absolutely fine. If I buy one I’ll probably do the same, although I might get a custom gauge set (9/12/15 - 11 is too light for the B and 16 slightly too heavy for the G in a standard set).
    D'Addario BT sets got you covered there John, and although a bit more expensive than the nonsensical "accepted standard" sets they are still way cheaper than making a custom set. One of the few sensible decisions from the guitar industry in decades!! They are extremely close to the custom sets I used to make up until I got tight and compromised - I favoured a slightly heavier bottom end so mine were a hybrid of balanced and progressive tension that was very much the goldilocks set.

EXL120BT = 9 - 12 - 15 - 22 - 30 - 40
    EXL110BT = 10 - 13.5 - 17 - 25 - 34 - 46
    EXL115BT = 11 - 15 - 19 - 28 - 37 - 50

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72448
    jasonbone75 said:

D'Addario BT sets got you covered there John, and although a bit more expensive than the nonsensical "accepted standard" sets they are still way cheaper than making a custom set. One of the few sensible decisions from the guitar industry in decades!! They are extremely close to the custom sets I used to make up until I got tight and compromised - I favoured a slightly heavier bottom end so mine were a hybrid of balanced and progressive tension that was very much the goldilocks set.

EXL120BT = 9 - 12 - 15 - 22 - 30 - 40
    EXL110BT = 10 - 13.5 - 17 - 25 - 34 - 46
    EXL115BT = 11 - 15 - 19 - 28 - 37 - 50
    Useful, thanks. I would probably just get Newtones though, I use them anyway and from memory they don’t charge more for a custom set. It’s really only the B in a set of 9s I have a major problem with, even the G is tolerable.

With acoustic strings the G in a set of 11s is the bad one - most sets use a 22, which is crazy as it’s a 23 in a set of 10s!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 641
    If the Newtone customisation is free that is great. Not everyone does that!!!

You highlight the problem pretty much across every string set available - there is always at least one that is just nonsensical. Usually two. Inherited issues from decisions made decades ago, usually arbitrarily based on something manufacturing or convenience related, becoming "what we always did" and nothing to do with the problem created. Sums up most of the mediocre vapid generica we have to suffer through in the modern world! Damn, bloody soapbox snuck under my desk there for a moment..

Time for a lay down.