SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: 12 inch 8 ohm speaker for a Modulus 5E3

MikeCMikeC Frets: 453
Just picked up a lovely Modulus 5E3 combo from the forum, excellent build quality but the speaker - a Celestion G12 Alcino blue - blows my head off. Can't seem to get the volume above 2. I had an original 50's 5E3 that I miss that was far less powerful - but far more fragile! 

So I wanted to try something a bit more tweedy / less in your face (and maybe lighter), eg Jensen Tornado classic 100 neo, Celestion creamback neo, Weber 12A125A, Jensen P12R etc.Thomann have a b-stock neo creamback for £130 so might get that if nothing pops up here. 

And once a new speaker is fitted, the blue will be for sale on here.  

I might also muck around with the valves.

All suggestions welcome. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 278
    What about a Weber Sig12s? I have one in a box somewhere. Not as loud as the 12a125a but to my ear has a more vintage Fender vibe about it. 

Also, if you haven't got one already, try an NOS 5y3 rectifier. It brings the voltages down a bit and feels a bit more relaxed imo.
  • MikeCMikeC Frets: 453
    Sure, happy to consider that. What condition is it in and price are you looking for, posted ppg (I'm in north London)? Good idea on the rectifier, will look into that next...
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    I fitted an attenuator in the cab of my 5e3 for this reason. The volume control on these amps is far too sensitive so it's a must irrespective of speaker. 

I have a Jensen BB40 in mine (used to have a blue) which you're welcome to A/B if you want to drive your 5e3 down to SW13. 
    Blimey, I now need new speakers, valve replacements and attenuators! Maybe a new amp too?! 

All good ideas welcome, but I suspect this forum has gone down this particular rabbit hole before...
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4703
    C12Q any good.  Excellent condition.  Currently in my TMDR but the original is going back in.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3876
    edited April 16
    Alnico for the win in a 5E3 IMO.

That being said, the WGS G12Q sounds good in tweeds to me. Cheap and inefficient. 

Here's a guy in exactly your position who settled for a WGS G12Q:

thanks all, will pass on the C12Q for now. 
  • marlinmanmarlinman Frets: 4
    Celestion A Type any good, great sounding speaker. 
    MikeC said:
    Blimey, I now need new speakers, valve replacements and attenuators! Maybe a new amp too?! 

All good ideas welcome, but I suspect this forum has gone down this particular rabbit hole before...
    Lol don't forget a 12ay7 too :)
    MikeC said:
    Sure, happy to consider that. What condition is it in and price are you looking for, posted ppg (I'm in north London)? Good idea on the rectifier, will look into that next...
    I'll dm you