Thoughts on this champ clone

What's Hot
Delaware_123Delaware_123 Frets: 92
Spotted this on eBay, looks lovely. Would imagine it would be a tough sell to pass on if you wanted to re sell though. Any ideas who jmw are?
cheers 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/226085850110?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=9u3KQ1xxRbq&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=3JdcnEoLSPy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Too small & ratty in that cab
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72383
    It’s illegal to sell with that logo on. That doesn’t give me a high opinion of whether it’s likely to be compliant with safety regulations either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    It’s illegal to sell with that logo on. That doesn’t give me a high opinion of whether it’s likely to be compliant with safety regulations either.
    Very true 
  • Fiddlesticks_Fiddlesticks_ Frets: 265
    edited April 15
    Hard pass. Aside from the legality issue there’s little info about the builder (or even on who the builder actually is) and thus little info on how well it’s really built (other than a few snapshots), how reliable it might be or how it sounds. The seller also admits to not knowing much about it.

I think there’s smarter ways to spend nearly £700.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Hard pass. Aside from the legality issue there’s little info about the builder (or even who the builder actually is) and thus little info on how well it’s really built (other than a few snapshots), how reliable it might be or how it sounds. The seller also admits to not knowing much about it.

I think there’s smarter ways to spend nearly £700.
    Yep think your right 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9636
    ICBM said:
    What? Ebay allowing fakes to be sold? Whatever next.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1133
    For my taste the ageing is way over done. I also think it's far too expensive for an unknown builder and unknown build quality. Granted some of the components appear to be decent.
  • MikePMikeP Frets: 58
    Soldering doesn't look very professional
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 259
    If you’re looking for something small, I’m toying with letting my Cornell Stinger go, I believe it’s one of the last pre Romany builds, as it has a serial number inside and a QC check label signed by Dennis. Certainly a lot less than £700 !!! and just down the 
    M5 from you, PM if it’s of interest 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4224
    You see Fender Custom '57 Champs going used for not much more money.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1596
    From the one internal picture the soldering doesn’t look very good. And I’d want to see the other end of the chassis with the mains, switch, fuse, earthing etc.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72383
    From the one internal picture the soldering doesn’t look very good. And I’d want to see the other end of the chassis with the mains, switch, fuse, earthing etc.  
    Even then I still wouldn’t buy it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Even then I still wouldn’t buy it.
    You and me both!
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 335
    Does that 1K (I think!) resistor bottom left look a little burny?

jca74 said:
    Does that 1K (I think!) resistor bottom left look a little burny?

10K. Looks like maybe someone has caught it with the side of the soldering iron tip. Clumsy work.