Does Heinz Meanz Beanz ?

What's Hot

Comments

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3349
    People still buy Heniz over Branston?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11975
    Here's a generic tip:

I spoke to someone a while back who said she warms beans in a saucepan not a microwave, because she likes them to be bashed up and broken down a bit.

I had a think, and since then I use a potato masher before microwaving them, and give them a good stir, they taste far better broken up a bit
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18989
    Philly_Q said:
    Sporky said:
    Heinz tinned spaghetti is untouched by supermarket competition.
    And by me. Tinned sketty is manky. 

Sketty (n.)

Apparently self-propelled little dance a beer glass performs in its own puddle.

* Douglas Adams & John Lloyd

Sketty is also a district in the Swansea area.
    Hence the use of the name  ;)  https://liff.hivemind.net
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9879
    Branston beans always taste to me like they've missed something out, like they forgot the salt or something else maybe? The wife has them but to me they taste like those low salt/low flavour versions of things they sell. 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11993
    A friend of a friend of mine runs a café. At regular intervals, he can be seen at a local supermarket, purchasing tins of own brand "value" baked beans by the trolley load. 

Back at the café, he knows what to add to the saucepan to make the cheap beans taste like Heinz. 
    Ah-ha.  The chef's 'special sauce'.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11882
    Sporky said:
    Sporky said:
    Heinz tinned spaghetti is untouched by supermarket competition.
    And by me. Tinned sketty is manky. 
    Love the heinz stuff personally 

..and I'm allergic to prawns :lol: 
    I'll swap you. Any tinned sketty I get for any prawns you get. :) 
    As long as it's the Heinz stuff, you're on ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13959
    When I was 16 I worked in Tesco part time and remember using the price gun to label up tins of peas at 6p a tin.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16788
    Here's a generic tip:

I spoke to someone a while back who said she warms beans in a saucepan not a microwave, because she likes them to be bashed up and broken down a bit.

I had a think, and since then I use a potato masher before microwaving them, and give them a good stir, they taste far better broken up a bit
    I hate beans when they are warmed through rather than actually cooked.  Warmed through they are hard lumps with a watery sauce.  Once cooked properly they break down and thicken the sauce so things start to get really pleasing.

I swear when people say they don't like beans, its often because they have them warmed rather than properly cooked

exocet said:
    swiller said:
    I find any beans are improved with a teaspoon of reggae reggae sauce stirred in. Enhances the sweetness, lifts everything up. Not quite bbq bean flavour, nor heat, but just works. Heinz or cheapos , doesnt make much difference with the final outcome.
    Go in more if you want BBQ style flavour with some heat.
    Exactly this. I'll often add a splash of Ketchup w/ Chili or Balsamic - perks up baked beans treat. 
    One of my favourites is a spoon full of curry powder.  It works great on a jacket potato.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3349
    WezV said:
    Here's a generic tip:

I hate beans when they are warmed through rather than actually cooked.  Warmed through they are hard lumps with a watery sauce.  Once cooked properly they break down and thicken the sauce so things start to get really pleasing.

I swear when people say they don't like beans, its often because they have them warmed rather than properly cooked

exocet said:
    swiller said:
    I find any beans are improved with a teaspoon of reggae reggae sauce stirred in. Enhances the sweetness, lifts everything up. Not quite bbq bean flavour, nor heat, but just works. Heinz or cheapos , doesnt make much difference with the final outcome.
    Exactly this. I'll often add a splash of Ketchup w/ Chili or Balsamic - perks up baked beans treat. 
    One of my favourites is a spoon full of curry powder.  It works great on a jacket potato.
    Pesto and Halloumi is my favourite, but sometimes just a bit opf cheese is nice 
  • My wife was on about making home-made baked beans. I figured it'd be more expensive than buying tins, but now I'm not sure.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1808
    Aldi own beans, in the blue tins, but cooked on a stove in a pan and for a good while until they go goey
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28704
    sev112 said:
    How many varieties of baked beans are there …?
    Four.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    Branston here. I put a big glug of Frank's sauce in too. I overdo them in the microwave so they thicken up a bit - not the same as a saucepan but better than usual. Great source of protein and fibre.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

WezV said:
    Here's a generic tip:

exocet said:
    swiller said:
    properly cooked?
    I microwave them until they are simmering, does that count?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23107
    WezV said:
    Here's a generic tip:

I rarely eat baked beans nowadays - too many carbs - but I prefer the exact opposite of "cooked properly" and "broken down a bit".  I don't like lukewarm though, so I would heat until they were just on the verge of boiling.  Sauce as watery as possible - and I'd leave most of it anyway because I'm not a sauce person.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4931
    As my 5-year-old grandson reminded me only this teatime:

Baked beans are good for your heart
    The more you eat, the more you fart
    The more you fart, the better you feel
    So have baked beans with every meal.

Quite so, mate.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16788
    WezV said:
    Here's a generic tip:

exocet said:
    swiller said:
    properly cooked?
    No, that's just past warm.   Although your mashing may help get them where they need to be.

They need to be cooked enough o the sauce thicknes up nicely.
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 315
    Tinned beans are as close to proper baked beans in tomato sauce as tinned spaghetti is to proper spaghetti (fresh pasta or dried). Mrs D won't eat them and makes her own from dried beans (any white variety is good) and makes her own tomato sauce.
    Reminds me the Zappa line from Joe's Garage:  Makes its own sauce if you just add water.
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    WezV said:
    WezV said:
    Here's a generic tip:

exocet said:
    swiller said:
    properly cooked?
    No, that's just past warm.   Although your mashing may help get them where they need to be.

They need to be cooked enough o the sauce thicknes up nicely.
    Well it's scalding hot in fact,  I like it to melt the cheese I pour them onto but

I assume you mean simmering for a while, so they start to change their nature a bit
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4205
    edited April 23
    When I was 16 I worked in Tesco part time and remember using the price gun to label up tins of peas at 6p a tin.
    When I lived in Rugby in the early 90s there was a supermarket (I can't remember the name now, but I think they got bought out by Safeway)... anyway, they did own-brand baked beans at 3p a tin, and you were only allowed to buy a maximum of 4 tins at a time.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom