Does Heinz Meanz Beanz ?

What's Hot

Comments

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3684
    Tsp Cumin or a decent curry powder 
    1/2 tsp of medium hot chilli flakes
    tbsp of mango chutney

bring to boil in a pan… yummy.

…. or grated mature cheddar and fresh ground black pepper.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
    Stir in a knob of butter to the beans on the hob, pour them over 2 slices buttered toast, grate some cheddar over and add brown sauce. 

Piece of toast on the side to mop up at the end.

Jobs a good 'un.

Add 2 fried eggs in place of the cheese for a deluxe treat

• TimcitoTimcito Frets: 798
    I miss British beans over here in the US. Here, you can find cans that look similar, but it's difficult to find ones that aren't too sweet.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9819
    It seems the way to enjoy them is to do whatever it takes to make them taste different :)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6704
    You can shove your Heinz, Sainsbury's, Marks&Sparks, Aldi etc etc. I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned Rex Beans. 

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7347
    I prefer Branston, and Aldi have done a 95% copy for 42p. I'm not paying over double for that last few percent.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22995
    Timcito said:
    I miss British beans over here in the US. Here, you can find cans that look similar, but it's difficult to find ones that aren't too sweet.
    Well you are living in a country which puts Artificial Flavors! on food packaging as if it's something desirable. 

A friend of mine visits the US every year and comes back with weird varieties of Oreo cookies... when you open the packet it doesn't even smell like food, it's like a chemical factory.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18860
    ^ All varieties of Oreo's are weird.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12385
    edited April 24
    Philly_Q said:
    Timcito said:
    Well you are living in a country which puts Artificial Flavors! on food packaging as if it's something desirable. 

A friend of mine visits the US every year and comes back with weird varieties of Oreo cookies... when you open the packet it doesn't even smell like food, it's like a chemical factory.
    I remember my old sister in law, who lived in Canada, bringing over Betty Crocker cake mixes for us every time she visited in the 80s. The Devils Foodcake mix was awesome! But one year she gave us a fruit cake mix that proudly claimed on the pack  “contains REAL artificial blueberries!” 

We visit the US quite often nowadays as we’ve got family over there. American processed food in general is chock full of sugars and additives…I’ve got a sweet tooth but even to me some of their food is far too sweet and cloying. Their sweets/candy bars are particularly disgusting. Dont get me started on Hersheys “chocolate”. Bleurgh. 

Back onto beans. We stopped buying Heinz beans when they went over a pound a tin.  Branston ones are an ok substitute , although I always add salt. 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3684
    edited April 26
    Bought a 4 pack of Branston for the first time… Will report.

The Heinz one have been obviously disappointing recently, less content in the tin it seems, higher sauce to bean ratio, often mushy.   I did see a 6 pack Heinz offer which brought the price down substantially.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2296

Beans are unmatched for an instant no-time lunch or later return from something without food.

I just use cheap supermarket beans but then enhance the sauce however I see fit, often with a good curry powder, Jeera seeds, black pepper and a bit bit of mango chutney for a "curry gap" filler.  On lightly toasted bread with no butter. Cheap cheerful and bloody tasty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924

I always used to insist on Heinz but since the cost of living crisis descended upon us, miserly Mrs Flagg buys own brand, but they are OK.
    As long as she doesn't put them in the stew - that would spoil it.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28485
    I'm impressed that a forumite is married to someone with their own brand of baked beans! 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1472
    Branston all the way. Can’t eat Heinz now. Far too sweet (yes I have tried the reduced sugar ones too). 
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 374
    I tend to prefer value range beans from almost any brand to Heinz, which are far too sweet. I seldom eat beans without altering the sauce in way which suits my cravings.

Cholula/, Tabasco or Franks hot sauce mostly, black pepper and Mexican oregano maybe.

Beans on toast can save the day when you don't feel like cooking, it's proper comfort food.
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 337
    Branston all the way. Can’t eat Heinz now. Far too sweet (yes I have tried the reduced sugar ones too). 
    Same here, also found the Heinz ones very watery, yuk!
    I love my brick
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 580
    A special little tip. Store your ring pull cans upside down in the he cupboard, so much easier when opened to empty the can. If not ring pull just open the other end.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3275
    Last time I checked, Heinz tins didn't stack well...deal-breaker.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9819
    I'm amazed that people find the Heinz ones too sweet, I normally have to add a dollop of ketchup because they aren't very sweet to me
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18860
    Last time I checked, Heinz tins didn't stack well...deal-breaker.
    Heinz tins don't stack at all. Jolly annoying & even Mumsnet get pissed off with them...