edited April 21 in Off Topic
I listened to this AI song on suno & I’m quite impressed 
https://suno.com/song/30aa8605-e3b5-4f00-a7bc-582bdbcdce82

sounds exactly like stuff I listen to
there are loads of genres  it’s so scary  that it’s getting this good 
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 631
    I don't think it's good at all, but AI can produce music that is technically acceptable because music can be maths, if you want it to be.

AI remains shit at (creative) writing, though, and even if/when it improves, its writing will be meaningless. This is from ages ago, but I had it bookmarked because it's something I'm interested in:

'If a novel was good, would you care if it was created by artificial intelligence?'

I would care – but I'm no longer confident that the general public would. I certainly can't see much evidence that the average person wants the development and use of AI restricted/paused/banned.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11799
    AI can be very good, no doubt about that.

It can probably never be brilliant though.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5660
    That's scary!  Especially for creators, artists and musicians.

I thought it was taking the biscuit when people in the 90s bought themselves a couple of turntables and a mixing desk and called themselves musicians.

Will the next generation of songwriters and musicians just be those who can punch the best prompts into an AI engine?

And if AI becomes a significant instrument in creating art, what will be the point?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9819
    I listened to this AI song on suno & I’m quite impressed 
    https://suno.com/song/30aa8605-e3b5-4f00-a7bc-582bdbcdce82

sounds exactly like stuff I listen to
    there are loads of genres  it’s so scary  that it’s getting this good 
    I suppose it would sound exactly like the stuff it's modelling, that's kind of the point. That said, plenty of artists and bands also basically do the same - but there is something noticeably different about somebody doing something similar but different enough to be new. 

I'm not the target audience for that kind of song, but I'd agree that sounded like every other song of that style I've heard apart from some weird lyric phrasing/accent, ("thirsting FORRRRR more" for example), and reminded me of video game music when I used to play them in the late 90s and early 00s. But then, that's probably because that music was probably written on a production line as well with a process not dissimilar to what AI and machine learning uses, as is a lot of music in many different styles. I doubt that you'd come back to listen to this too many times without the curiosity of it being AI, compared to the bands you love in that style?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    I think it's naive to think that once AI knows about all the music, there's no way that it could create something new. 
    And what is new anyway.  

I think with all of these things, it will develop to the point where it's indistinguishable from human created art.  It can easily incorporate the things which strike us as "human".
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7487
    I just got it to write a song about "A jazz-funk groove song about a sloth that wants to go on holiday to the seaside"

and it is hilariously ace 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Red ones are better. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 674
    edited April 22
    Haych said:

I thought it was taking the biscuit when people in the 90s bought themselves a couple of turntables and a mixing desk and called themselves musicians.

Will the next generation of songwriters and musicians just be those who can punch the best prompts into an AI engine?

And if AI becomes a significant instrument in creating art, what will be the point?
    I don't know. There's people creating ai generated images on here that's fun. 

I dont see why creating good music using ai shouldn't be considered art.

A lot of good music has been made through a desire to create something new/original/different and most of us would agree that, regarding rules in music, there are none, yet whenever there is a new kind, or a new way of making, music, it's no good?
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 631
    Kurtis said:

You could call people using AI to make pictures/music 'editors', I guess, but not 'artists'.

If I ask an AI to write a joke about an Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman, and it manages to spit out a funny one, that doesn't make me a comedian.
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1121
    Won't be long before that's the norm, and we humans will be relegated to being the "out of the ordinary" element.

"Oh cool, this song in Spotify was actually written and recorded by a human.  Ah memories".   
    barnstorm said:
    Kurtis said:

You could call people using AI to make pictures/music 'editors', I guess, but not 'artists'.

If I ask an AI to write a joke about an Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman, and it manages to spit out a funny one, that doesn't make me a comedian.
    Picking up a guitar and strumming it doesn't make you a guitar player. 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4191
    Haych said:

Exactly  it writes plays sings and produces the whole thing , the only thing to differentiate it say from something we may write is ours comes from the soul ,it kinda makes me feel inadequate 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4191

TimmyO said:
    There’s no sloth !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28483
    edited April 22
    Kurtis said:
    It certainly doesn't make you a bricklayer.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 22
    Sporky said:
    Kurtis said:
    It certainly doesn't make you a bricklayer.
    Well if it does it's purely coincidental. 
    edited April 22
    Andy warthole would love this stuff!

I maybe wouldn't officially call someone from the ai image thread an artist based purely on that alone, but is it not at least an artistic endeavour? Using one's imagination to create images that people enjoy looking at? 

TimmyO said:
    There’s no sloth !
    This is the sloth one: https://suno.com/song/a17fc37e-87b2-474f-96b4-c661c976bca3

I.just thought the one about a guitar forum was more share-worthy :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9819
    edited April 22
    I think one of the more interesting off shoots of the whole AI in art thing, is that it makes for fascination discussion of what art is, how it's created, and how much of what we do actually is learned the same way that AI does it really. Like when I play music, am I really doing anything more than just repairing various bits of existing melody and harmony in a style? We can say "ah no but what I play comes from the soul or the heart" or whatever but does it really? Why is it that so many of our souls song only in the pentatonic blues scale? Surely if we were purely playing from souls there would be a lot more variation in harmonies and melodies and tunings and everything like that 

Just quite fascinating to truly evaluate what the differences are and whether they are really differences, or whether our pretensions are what differentiate us from the AI stuff
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    edited April 22
    When ai starts creating art for its own amusement I'll start to get concerned  :) 

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2085
    I dont think that particular track is very good...try this one....

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview