Steps and walking

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11884
    Cutting carbs is bullshit advice. Calories in, calories out - it’s just thermodynamics. 

Work out your TDEE, track your calories and weigh yourself frequently and regularly, measure your waist and take photos with your top off. Your waist not measuring less, your physique don’t look different and your weight isn’t changing? You’re consuming more than you burn. 
    I had a rather long debate with someone on another forum about this.   He has cut out all carbs and he put that down to how he went down to 70kg (from 110kg).  

But when I pushed him further, he reveals

1 - Yes he cuts out all carbs, but he doesn't eat more to make up the rest of the calories
    2 - He does 36/48hr fasting regularly so that he can lose more weight that he can't by his normal* diet

*by normal, at this point, is his no carb diet....

Yes, sugar in excess is bad, but he has literally demonised it.  During the conversation he revealed how he went to the doctor and he claimed the doctor prescribed him "addictive substances"......I asked him what does that mean exactly....do you know what this "addictive substance" he is referring to...it is the sentence that his doctor told him to "eat more fruit and vegetables".  The guy has demonised fruit and vegetables to the point that he sees ALL Carbs in all form as evil.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 662
    No matter how often, how long you walk or go to the Gym.....you won't lose weight if you continue to eat processed crap, burgers, chips and Pasta etc.
    You can't out walk a bad diet full stop.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1089
    No matter how often, how long you walk or go to the Gym.....you won't lose weight if you continue to eat processed crap, burgers, chips and Pasta etc.
    Who's saying my diet's bad? I can't even remember the last time I had a burger, maybe 2 months ago? Lol.

Every now and then I'll have a treat but its not very often as I have quite a strict clean diet most of the time. I also took a week off training last week whilst I was looking for a new gym.
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 662
    Who's saying my diet's bad? I can't even remember the last time I had a burger, maybe 2 months ago? Lol.

Every now and then I'll have a treat but its not very often as I have quite a strict clean diet most of the time. I also took a week off training last week whilst I was looking for a new gym.
    Didn't mean you personally.
    Just trying to point out that weight control is more about good diet than it is excercise.
    I have a mate who is a postman, he walks easily 25,000 steps daily and he is still a fat bastard because he eats crap, McDonalds, Curries, Pizzas etc.....
    He likes a beer or 6 too....

Didn't mean you personally.
    Just trying to point out that weight control is more about good diet than it is excercise.
    I have a mate who is a postman, he walks easily 25,000 steps daily and he is still a fat bastard because he eats crap, McDonalds, Curries, Pizzas etc.....
    He likes a beer or 6 too....
    Fair enough. I know diet is a large portion of it.

His diet makes mine look perfect lol. No way I'd be eat all that in a week! There are flaws in mine of course but only minor little things. 
  • PjonPjon Frets: 313
    Rocker said:
    IMHO the only way to reduce weight is to eat less. Much less. This is not easy, it is very difficult, but it works. And it takes time, more time than you might think. But it works. 
    That's not quite true, you just need to be active enough to use more energy than you consume. I cycle a lot, and tend to do quite a lot of walking. Through this very long and very wet winter my weight has crept up because I've done both of those things less - riding the 20 mile round trip to work twice a week instead of every day, and relying on the car more. Then a couple of weeks ago the rain eased off, the woods and fields started drying out and I started riding more often and further. (eg 10 miles to work yesterday, 18 to get home, only 10 miles each way today but I'll be on the mountain bike this evening for a couple of hours.). In the last two or three weeks my weight has dropped by a decent amount with no change to my diet. I could have achieved that by reducing my food but equally I could eat the same and have fun in the woods on my mountain bike, or surfing or whatever. :D 
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 849
    @strtdv ;I wholeheartedly agree with @RaymondLin.

I went out with a professional dietitian for 7 years and she said that the only sustainable long term way to lose weight is to eat less and exercise more ... and that the ideal target is 1.5 - 2 lbs per week

Diet fads and sport/exercise trends may have come and gone over the last 30 years but I suspect those figures are still valid. I think 3 lbs per week is too aggressive and probably dangerous.
    Pjon said:
    Rocker said:
    IMHO the only way to reduce weight is to eat less. Much less. This is not easy, it is very difficult, but it works. And it takes time, more time than you might think. But it works. 
    That's not quite true, you just need to be active enough to use more energy than you consume. I cycle a lot, and tend to do quite a lot of walking. Through this very long and very wet winter my weight has crept up because I've done both of those things less - riding the 20 mile round trip to work twice a week instead of every day, and relying on the car more. Then a couple of weeks ago the rain eased off, the woods and fields started drying out and I started riding more often and further. (eg 10 miles to work yesterday, 18 to get home, only 10 miles each way today but I'll be on the mountain bike this evening for a couple of hours.). In the last two or three weeks my weight has dropped by a decent amount with no change to my diet. I could have achieved that by reducing my food but equally I could eat the same and have fun in the woods on my mountain bike, or surfing or whatever. :D 
    This is why I'm taking to walking for an hour almost daily. I also stopped training 1 day less per week cos of a busy work schedule on the weekend but have started getting the 3rd training day back in to get in shape for the wedding, even if it means a very early Saturday morning workout!
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2454
    stufisher said:
    @strtdv ;;I wholeheartedly agree with @RaymondLin.

I went out with a professional dietitian for 7 years and she said that the only sustainable long term way to lose weight is to eat less and exercise more ... and that the ideal target is 1.5 - 2 lbs per week

Diet fads and sport/exercise trends may have come and gone over the last 30 years but I suspect those figures are still valid. I think 3 lbs per week is too aggressive and probably dangerous.
    3lbs per week will be fine for me, I've done it before (when I was cycling more seriously) and I've the weight there to lose. From past experience the first stone will come off quickly (in under a month) and then the real work begins. 
    I should add I'm a healthcare professional and know what I'm doing.

The idea is to use intermittent fasting and regular exercise to get the weight down, then relax the fasting and keep the exercise to hit a healthier equilibrium. 

My "healthy" weight is around 77-78kg, much lower than that and it affects my cycling performance
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 676
    edited April 25
    I think once you get to a certain point it's better to take your time otherwise you can get that saggy face and look ill. 
    I've seen people that have lost a load of weight really quickly, especially when a bit older, that look like they're dying. 

What you do after you loose the weight is important too. I'd be inclined to just aim for a healthy lifestyle, that you can maintain, and the weight should go, as a side effect. 
    Just generally look after yourself a bit better really. 

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 676
    If you really want to be healthy you need to get in to a frame of mind where that pice of chocolate cake is no longer a "treat" but is just a sickly sweet, lump of stodge, with no nutritional value.

You might get the dopamine high when you eat it, but then, heroin is moreish too! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom