Vintage style Tele bridges

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
edited April 21 in Guitar
Why did Leo put a three saddle bridge on Telecasters? The concept of two strings having to share a saddle means it's impossible to intonate accurately especially as there were no compensated saddles in those early days.

I'm aware that in those days a wound third was the norm so D and G was probably closer to intonate, but even the plain E and B and wound E and A can't intonate accurately with a shared non compensating saddle. And a third wound was still the norm in 1954 yet Strats had a 6 saddle bridge from the off.

Was it just because three saddle bridges were easier and cheaper to make perhaps? Or was it simply a learning curve on a new solid electric guitar design where the intonation shortcomings of three saddle simply weren't fully appreciated and it was corrected with the Stratocaster?
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    Probably a bit of both. The (wrong) idea that a 3-saddle bridge is the only correct way had not yet arisen, so definitely not that ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27139
    edited April 21
    They knew of the need to intonate the instrument otherwise it would've been a single saddle for all 6 strings.

My guess is the same as every other decision on the Tele - it was cheap and easy to mass manufacture. And intonation is fine, esp these days with fancy saddles
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10564
    tFB Trader
    Voxman said:
    Why did Leo put a three saddle bridge on Telecasters? The concept of two strings having to share a saddle means it's impossible to intonate accurately especially as there were no compensated saddles in those early days.

I'm aware that in those days a wound third was the norm so D and G was probably closer to intonate, but even the plain E and B and wound E and A can't intonate accurately with a shared non compensating saddle. And a third wound was still the norm in 1954 yet Strats had a 6 saddle bridge from the off.

Was it just because three saddle bridges were easier and cheaper to make perhaps? Or was it simply a learning curve on a new solid electric guitar design where the intonation shortcomings of three saddle simply weren't fully appreciated and it was corrected with the Stratocaster?
    The interesting thing is that many thousands of musicians and quite a few 'stars' managed to get their Telecasters to intonate well enough to produce the many of the iconic hits of the fifties and sixties. :-)

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2510
    edited April 21
    3 saddle was possibly the most adjustable bridge of its time, necessary due to the nature of the overall Tele design. Archtops got by with floating bridge bars with relative intonation set however it was cast, the Les Paul had a straight wraptail until the late 50s. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10564
    tFB Trader
    elstoof said:
    3 saddle was possibly the most adjustable bridge of its time, necessary due to the nature of the overall design. Archtops got by with floating bridge bars with relative intonation set however it was cast, the Les Paul had a straight wraptail until the late 50s. 
    Exactly ... plus folks just got on and played rather than obsessing about stuff :-) 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    close enough for government work, certainly 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2402
    edited April 21
    No three saddle bridge....no Tele. Still today Leo's design produces the most expressive twangtastic tones. Currently enjoying Jim Campilongo's latest record out last week....

https://youtu.be/BepT4UXn8CE?si=VHZHRX1CWfq73D-i
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1520
    What is the twang? What is the source of the twang? Is the twang a tele thing? 

Misleading answers only. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Elastic frets
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 631
    The early marketing guff written for retailers claimed perfect intonation, so I don't think he regarded it as deficient until people started bugging him about it. Remember that he wasn't a musician and didn't have brilliant hearing, either! 

Other six-saddle bridges were around by 1952 IIRC, so by that stage he was getting advice from various Fender artists and employees and, I suspect, seeing other people implement the solution to the problem. (He later said he couldn't remember if he'd seen another six-saddle bridge before designing the Strat, but I'd be surprised if he hadn't.)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14310
    tFB Trader
    elstoof said:
    3 saddle was possibly the most adjustable bridge of its time, necessary due to the nature of the overall Tele design. Archtops got by with floating bridge bars with relative intonation set however it was cast, the Les Paul had a straight wraptail until the late 50s. 
    I was about to say the same - So in 1951/52 a 3 saddle Tele format was a head of the game
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9668
    I have two Teles, one has the stock 3-saddle bridge (Classic 60s), the other has compensated saddles (brass, with the angled drilling). I’ve managed to set the intonation for both equally well, which did surprise me somewhat.
  • BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 412
    My 3-saddle (non-compensated) tele seems to intonate just fine.  
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1134
    My 3-saddle (non-compensated) tele seems to intonate just fine.  
    Mine too (American Performer Tele FWIW).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    OilCityPickups said:

The interesting thing is that many thousands of musicians and quite a few 'stars' managed to get their Telecasters to intonate well enough to produce the many of the iconic hits of the fifties and sixties. :-)
    In my experience the key is to set each saddle for the sharper of the two strings, not try to compromise between the two - a sharp string is much more noticeable than a flat one, and you can't compensate for it with a slight bend or squeezing the string harder. I imagine many of those players learned to do that instinctively, just like most of us old-timers learned to keep one hand on the strings of poorly-shielded guitars at all times to stop the buzz... it eventually just becomes force of habit and you don't even notice you're doing it any more.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 412
    I sometimes wonder if compensated saddles are compensating for poorly cut nuts. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    Thanks for the many responses guys.  I just thought it made an interesting thread; seems 3-saddle was ahead of its time & still works well enough for most folk. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9707
    edited April 22
    The other thing ‘wrong’ with the original Tele bridge assembly was the raised sides of the plate - only really there to grip the ashtray which most players ditched or lost anyway. Apparently the ashtray was only ever there for aesthetic reasons; Leo thought the three-saddle bridge looked ugly.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    He put a cover on it, you weren't even supposed to know. :)

The bigger question is, why is a single non intonatable saddle still acceptable on acoustic guitars? 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    HAL9000 said:
    The other thing ‘wrong’ with the original Tele bridge assembly was the raised sides of the plate - only really there to grip the ashtray which most players ditched or lost anyway. Apparently the ashtray was only ever there for aesthetic reasons; Leo thought the three-saddle bridge looked ugly.
    Wasn't the ashtray to help reduce noise by acting as a Faraday cage? Or was that just coincidental to the aesthetics?