Buyer from south korea on reverb

What's Hot
brooombrooom Frets: 1175
I have a buyer from south korea on reverb, just purchase a guitar of mine, no offer at all. Just gave me full price.

Nothing looks out of the ordinary but I have never sold to Korea.

Is there any angle I'm missing here, where this might be a scam?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pt22pt22 Frets: 284
    Is it a rare guitar? Did you limit your shipping region? Im of the opinion most unexpected, unsolicited international purchases have a high probability of being suspect. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    edited April 25
    Shipping is not limited. It's not a rare, but a relatively high value guitar.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27638
    Can you prove, absolutely, a successful delivery to South Korea?

If not, you're open to the "item not received" claim ...

brooom said:
    but a relatively high value
    ... which makes it more worthwhile for a scammer.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4316
    If nervous about shipping a high value guitar abroad, I don’t think I’d make it available to buyers outside the UK. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

I usually ship with UPS with the option of only delivering to the final address and with signature. But yes this seems unnecessarily risky.

The user has no profile it's some kind of guest account or simpy no store.

But the weird part to me is no offer. I'm used to being low balled at this point (it's the new normal).

Will proceed with refund
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1125
    Refund it. Better safe than sorry. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 25
    Have done so. Thanks everyone
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    Wise decision 
    Interestingly the person has now contacted me. And still all looks very normal, but yes better to not risk it.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3884
    brooom said:
    Interestingly the person has now contacted me. And still all looks very normal, but yes better to not risk it.
    Tell them to collect in person if they want it!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    edited April 26
    brooom said:
    I am in South Korea at the moment.
    I've been here a week, and Korea is a special interest of mine.

Korea is, on the whole, an exceedingly safe country and people here are incredibly trustworthy.
    They don't litter, or curse, they are overwhelmingly polite and don't even jaywalk.

I can't say for sure that this isn't a scammer but if there was one country that I would trust in Asia (and most of the world) it would be Korea.
    You could use a courier with end to end tracking and it would probably be fine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10258
    edited April 26
    I'd cancel it. There are pitfalls everywhere in these scenarios. 
    edited April 26
    In all honesty I think this is a genuine buyer. That's the feeling I get from the interaction.

The only reason I decided to cancel/retract is because reverb itself has become increasingly dodgy as a website and they don't seem much to care about it.

Essentially it's the platform that doesn't really make me feel safe. And every little shadow of doubt suddenly becomes a red flag.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4149
    Was this to be shipped to a drop-shipping place near London? I had an SK buyer on there recently who did that, and while he seemed very genuine I wasn’t comfortable so I cancelled it.
    edited April 26
    No no, it was a very straightforward reverb payment only, with direct shipping via UPS from my door to the buyer's door with delivery signature and tracking.

The buyer seemed genuine in all fairness, no red flags from the interaction. It's reverb itself that makes me uncomfortable, with such a long distance sale.
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 860
    I bought a pedal from a seller in Malaysia through reverb a few months back. The footswitch was clearly faulty, I sent him videos to support this but the seller wasn’t interested and told me to claim through PayPal. I contacted Reverb and they were very helpful, after a bit of back and forth they asked if I’d be happy with half the money back to which I agreed.
      The only time I’ve had an issue through Reverb and they were great.

‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’