Music that makes you think "who actually buys this"

What's Hot

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10759
    Litterick said:
    I don't believe any musical genre is objectively good or bad. Genres exist because musicians believe in them, and the music fulfils human needs.
    Totally agree (I assume we’re not including country & western?)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12221
    viz said:
    Litterick said:
    I don't believe any musical genre is objectively good or bad. Genres exist because musicians believe in them, and the music fulfils human needs.
    Totally agree (I assume we’re not including country & western?)
    C&W, to be fair, fulfils the needs of about 100 million Americans, even if the rest of the world doesn't give a shit about it.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72912
    Kurtis said:
    James Blunt.

I think even he is surprised. 
    He's a very funny and intelligent interviewee with a great line in self-deprecating humour, but I have tried and failed to like his music... although there was a song a couple of years ago or so that wasn't bad and I was tempted to listen to some more from the same album, but forgot.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6568
    I am not a rap fan, but if you’ve never heard ANY Rap that you enjoyed even a bit, you have surely not listened to much Rap. 

Most music is rubbish, to me. What I like, I like a lot, but even the biggest longlist of Music What RnRDave likes wouldn’t begin to scrape the surface of all the music that exists.

But, yeah, there’s at least a couple of decent Rap tunes!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Isn't the real answer to the question that nobody buys music anymore? Ok  Maybe not absolutely nobody, but near enough. 
    Yeah, some of us do.

Why just this week I bought records by Lighthouse Family, James Blunt, Ed Sheeran ;)

Only kidding, I like female-fronted indie rock bands ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1035
    Isn't the real answer to the question that nobody buys music anymore? Ok  Maybe not absolutely nobody, but near enough. 
    Yeah, some of us do.

Why just this week I bought records by Lighthouse Family, James Blunt, Ed Sheeran ;)

Haha. That's quite a haul!

Yes I know,  some people still do (I'm one of them) but it's not like it used to be when everyone had a physical music collection and the default birthday present for a relative was a cd or cassette.  Just the way things are I suppose. 
    Yeah, some of us do.

Haha. That's quite a haul!

Yes I know,  some people still do (I'm one of them) but it's not like it used to be when everyone had a physical music collection and the default birthday present for a relative was a cd or cassette.  Just the way things are I suppose. 
    It is indeed.

I actually got rid of most of my CDs a few years ago, thinking to go full digital.

Then... I missed physical media so much I decided to start collecting vinyl instead :lol: 

I can certainly understand the pressure to go all digital, not just having done it, but Mrs Ed hates shelves everywhere, and a decent sized collection fills a lot of shelves!
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12314
    Kurtis said:
    James Blunt.

I'm not a huge fan of his music, but I AM a big fan of the man himself.  Very funny, very sharp, very dry, self-deprecating and all-round good egg it seems.

Top bloke.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 787
    edited May 21
    Not saying this because they are bad really, but because I've never known anyone that listens to them.
    The Petshop Boys. 

(yes, I've got the eighties channel on! ) 
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 787
    edited May 21
    Offset said:
    Kurtis said:
    James Blunt.

I'm not a huge fan of his music, but I AM a big fan of the man himself.  Very funny, very sharp, very dry, self-deprecating and all-round good egg it seems.

Top bloke.
    I've never even met him 

Though tbf he probably wouldn't have got so far if he'd been a pain to work with.

Watching more 80s, you can see that Kylie Minogue would have been fun to work with. You can just see in the videos she's having a laugh. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72912
    Kurtis said:
    Not saying this because they are bad really, but because I've never known anyone that listens to them.
    The Petshop Boys. 

I like them a lot - one of the definitive 80s pop bands... West End Girls, Opportunities, Suburbia, It’s A Sin and their version of Always On My Mind are all absolute classics. They’re also responsible for Dusty Springfield’s career revival.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12991
    Kurtis said:
    The Petshop Boys. 

I bloody love the PSB. 

One of the great pop bands. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1410
    Kurtis said:
    The Petshop Boys. 

West End Girls has to be one of THE BEST songs of the 80s for me.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1825
    Kurtis said:
    The Petshop Boys. 

West End Girls has to be one of THE BEST songs of the 80s for me.
    And interestingly is a rap song really.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3348
    ICBM said:
    Kurtis said:
    The Petshop Boys. 

I like them a lot - one of the definitive 80s pop bands... West End Girls, Opportunities, Suburbia, It’s A Sin and their version of Always On My Mind are all absolute classics. They’re also responsible for Dusty Springfield’s career revival.
    ...and you get the occasional bonus Johnny Marr appearance!
    http://www.geowayne.com/newDesign/lists/marr.htm

• SeshSesh Frets: 1865
    Kurtis said:
    The Petshop Boys. 

Nothing wrong with the Pet Shop Boys. Iconic sounds, sharp lyrics, what's not to like. Can't say I'm a big fan, but I'm not disappointed when a song appears on the radio. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    I also like the Pet Shop Boys.
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 666
    I would say Vulfpeck, but I know the answer is 'music students'.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 391
    edited May 25
    As do I like them, the Pet Shop Boys that is, not actively but they sit in the same box as ABBA for me. Just great pop songs one after the other.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1410
    edited May 28
    All these arena filling acts that the youth are into. I’m assuming the youth don’t buy music now so wouldn’t be buying their stuff? eg I wonder how many of the people who go to see Taylor Swift would buy her albums? What would the % be at one of her stadium gigs I wonder. Or with the likes of her is it all merchandise?

But, why do people give a shite who buys what or not? It seems like there are endless threads on TFB of people moaning about shite that has zero impact on their daily lives.