Music that makes you think "who actually buys this"

What's Hot

Comments

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 758
    Jfingers said:
    Tannin said:
    Has anyone mentioned rap yet? Very seldom indeed s it possible to condemn an entire genre of music with no possible exceptions, but rap is execrable from start to finish. 
    Beastie Boys, early Eminem, NWA? All pretty groundbreaking.
    Yeah, last century  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5569
    edited May 17
    Philly_Q said:
    Tannin said:
    Has anyone mentioned rap yet? Very seldom indeed s it possible to condemn an entire genre of music with no possible exceptions, but rap is execrable from start to finish. 
    It's an opinion which has been expressed before.  Some will disagree with you, if anyone's still reading the thread.
    That's one that falls into the "I don't like it" camp, rather than the "I can't see how anybody would like it" subject of the thread
    Crap. It's not even music. It's just bullshit noise with violent and offensive posturing. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1589
    Tannin said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Tannin said:
    It's an opinion which has been expressed before.  Some will disagree with you, if anyone's still reading the thread.
    That's one that falls into the "I don't like it" camp, rather than the "I can't see how anybody would like it" subject of the thread
    Crap. It's not even music. It's just bullshit noise with violent and offensive posturing. 
     That's what I like about it
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12443
    Tannin said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Tannin said:
    Define "music"
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12443
    Some rap is very intelligent and some is dumb, some rock is very intelligent and some is dumb, some is just good time party music. It's all the same, good stuff and crap stuff. Just filter out the crap.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28899
    edited May 18
    Given that rap is a vocal style, not a musical style, I think we can conclude that the argument is based in ignorance, not experience.

Whatcha gonna do? Rap is not afraid of you!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10757
    I like that album by Nas - Illmatic
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12115
    Tannin said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Tannin said:
    Young people these days and their noisy music... ;)

This thread does crack me up -not aimed at you personally bud BTW - but the general theme is "music you hate so much you can't believe other people like it" - as there is some kind of objective standard to art.

Worse still - it leads to "internet truth" - the idea that if a handful of people in an online bubble agree with you it must mean you are "right".

We should really be focussed on pointing out the Chinese government are a bunch of pricks while we still can :lol: 
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23319
    This thread does crack me up -not aimed at you personally bud BTW - but the general theme is "music you hate so much you can't believe other people like it" - as there is some kind of objective standard to art.

Worse still - it leads to "internet truth" - the idea that if a handful of people in an online bubble agree with you it must mean you are "right".
    I think you've slightly shifted the emphasis.  I don't think anyone, or the thread itself, is claiming an objective standard.  And it doesn't actually say "music you hate so much you can't believe other people like it".  It's just music that you hear and you - personally, subjectively - think "who actually buys this?".

I like what @blobb said earlier in the thread: "I only like what I like - to the point of actually saying I generally don't like music at all, on a %age basis".  That's me too, really.  I like a lot of music, but if I switch on the radio and choose a music channel, it won't take more than ten minutes before they play something I absolutely can't stand, to the point that I have to switch it off.  I've got a low tolerance threshold for music I don't like.

I can sympathise with Tannin, to a point.  I think I could also make a blanket statement that I don't like any rap/hip-hop music, but I can understand that other people like it.  I can't bear Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Adele or Ed Sheeran either... but I can understand that people buy them.  The stuff which really makes me think "who buys this?" is bland, insipid, whiny music.  I don't see how that appeals to anyone.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 758
    edited May 18
    James Blunt.

I think even he is surprised. 
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1381
    edited May 18
    You can generally take something away from most stuff. 
    I was in TK Maxx today and Kylie's The Loco-Motion came on. I found myself leaning in and listening to it - the production, how they approached covering it, instruments in use at the time in terms of synths etc. trying to guess the chord progression. I mean personally I'd rather stick forks in my ears than play it at home but as a popular song you can throw on at kids birthday parties and retirement home shindigs.. you've got to appreciate the artistry in making it accessible to all ages. 

More generally I've got to the stage where I HATE hearing music. It's everywhere. It just seems to be incessant and unrelenting and has lost all value and meaning -  and I say that as a musician who enjoys playing guitar / songs. You get on a plane - there's music, you're in a shop - there's music. Waiting at Kwik Fit reception - music. Adverts, films, tv shows. I've never valued silence as much as I do now.

And finally. White Flag - Dido - is superb. I completely get the intent and meaning of the song.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    CaseOfAce said:
    More generally I've got to the stage where I HATE hearing music. It's everywhere. It just seems to be incessant and unrelenting and has lost all value and meaning -  and I say that as a musician who enjoys playing guitar / songs. You get on a plane - there's music, you're in a shop - there's music. Waiting at Kwik Fit reception - music. Adverts, films, tv shows. I've never valued silence as much as I do now.
    I was thinking yesterday about going to the gym... I haven't been for about five years, but I've had gym memberships off and on for decades.  I never really enjoyed it much, the actual activity is OK but carrying kit, getting changed, showering etc is all a bit of a ballache.  But the thing I really couldn't stand was the music.  Awful, shitty, repetitive electronic dance bollocks.  Yes of course you can take your own music (Walkman, iPod, phone as the tech changed) but you have to wear headphones and you have to have it loud enough to drown out the fucking shit they're playing.  That was what made me ultimately stop going, every time.
    Philly_Q said:

I think you've slightly shifted the emphasis.  I don't think anyone, or the thread itself, is claiming an objective standard.  And it doesn't actually say "music you hate so much you can't believe other people like it".  It's just music that you hear and you - personally, subjectively - think "who actually buys this?".

I like what @blobb said earlier in the thread: "I only like what I like - to the point of actually saying I generally don't like music at all, on a %age basis".  That's me too, really.  I like a lot of music, but if I switch on the radio and choose a music channel, it won't take more than ten minutes before they play something I absolutely can't stand, to the point that I have to switch it off.  I've got a low tolerance threshold for music I don't like.

I can sympathise with Tannin, to a point.  I think I could also make a blanket statement that I don't like any rap/hip-hop music, but I can understand that other people like it.  I can't bear Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Adele or Ed Sheeran either... but I can understand that people buy them.  The stuff which really makes me think "who buys this?" is bland, insipid, whiny music.  I don't see how that appeals to anyone.
    I acknowledge the shift of emphasis, and I can sympathise with both of your points of view - I just personally would rather talk about what I like than what I don't - and I acknowledge a lot of stuff has a sort of unique appeal which just isn't for me.  Rap became the "authentic" voice of the streets in the US years ago, I'm a middle class guy from Watford!

I love a lot of dance music, but there are many hours out there of music that literally goes "tsk tsk tsk" over and over - people seem to love it, I don't know why, but then I grew up listening to Oasis, Radiohead and the Manics...

It is an interesting point that %age wise you "don't like music" but I think it's probably a red herring.  You aren't obliged to like any %age of released music to be considered a music fan.

If you've spent your life (not you personally) and have only gone to Robbie Williams, Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran gigs - and have all their records at home - then you are clearly a music fan as opposed to a fan of gaming or film... you just aren't that guy who was in the video posted the other week... about the crush the people in the flat below when your vinyl collection breaks the floor.
    Philly_Q said:
    CaseOfAce said:
    I was thinking yesterday about going to the gym... I haven't been for about five years,
    I'd honestly rather go out with a guy called Jim.
    Philly_Q said:
    CaseOfAce said:
    I was thinking yesterday about going to the gym... I haven't been for about five years,
    Ah, but you're still young.  I'll be 60 in a month's time and I really am feeling the beginnings of physical decline.  I never had a lot of muscle but what I did have is starting to just... vanish.  I don't want to end up like one of those videos of old dears in a care home, doing exercise classes sitting in plastic chairs with a can of beans in each hand.  So I may have to try to find a gym which is over-50s-friendly and doesn't play house music...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28899
    Philly_Q said:

I can sympathise with Tannin, to a point.  I think I could also make a blanket statement that I don't like any rap/hip-hop music, but I can understand that other people like it.
    And that'd be fine, but describing it as "execrable from start to finish", and "not music" is very different from "I don't like any of it".

It's the pretense that the subjective is objective. There's a lot of it on the internet; it's not enough not to like something, some people have to try to prove that the thing they don't like is unquestionably and factually awful, thus denigrating anyone with tastes different from their own. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19163
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    CaseOfAce said:
    Ah, but you're still young.  I'll be 60 in a month's time and I really am feeling the beginnings of physical decline.  I never had a lot of muscle but what I did have is starting to just... vanish.  I don't want to end up like one of those videos of old dears in a care home, doing exercise classes sitting in plastic chairs with a can of beans in each hand.  So I may have to try to find a gym which is over-50s-friendly and doesn't play house music...
    Buy some Norlin era Gibsons & move them regularly  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1016
    Isn't the real answer to the question that nobody buys music anymore? Ok  Maybe not absolutely nobody, but near enough. 
    Kurtis said:
    James Blunt.

I think even he is surprised. 
    Ahh... but without him you wouldn't have his hilarious Twitter feed, another simple song you can learn on acoustic guitar to help you get laid, or this fantastic Rob Brydon sketch from Gavin and Stacey...

• LitterickLitterick Frets: 662
    I don't believe any musical genre is objectively good or bad. Genres exist because musicians believe in them, and the music fulfils human needs.