Full name on a credit card

What's Hot
KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1297
Does anyone know which banks/cc companies in the UK issue cards with full names printed on them rather than first and middle name initials?

My Barclaycard has initials and it was rejected by car rental company on my last holiday. Travelling again end of July and by the looks of it all rentals where I'm flying to now require full names on cc used to hold a deposit. 
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12392
    My Co-op debit card has my full name on it Kris, unsure about credit card though.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1297
    Thanks @jonnyburgo, I'll give them a call and ask. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1108
    I’m with Lloyds and my cc has full name
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1442
    edited April 27
    My personal Amex: Initials,

My corporate Amex: Full Name, 

Bank of Scotland Platinum: Full Name

I used the Personal Amex for Greek car rental 2-3 weeks ago without issue.

Nice one all, a few to choose from. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    I have a Lloyds credit card and a Halifax Clarity card - both have Mr Forename Surname. 

I don't have a middle name, so I don't know whether they would show it in full or just the initial.

Halifax Clarity is useful for use abroad, as they don't charge for cash withdrawals as long as you pay it off by the statement date.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1134
    KrisGee said:
    Does anyone know which banks/cc companies in the UK issue cards with full names printed on them rather than first and middle name initials?

My Barclaycard has initials and it was rejected by car rental company on my last holiday. Travelling again end of July and by the looks of it all rentals where I'm flying to now require full names on cc used to hold a deposit. 
    Is this a new thing? I've had a Barclaycard for years and never had that problem.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10441
    I don't think they know what name is on the card. When I took cards in the PC business I had no means of checking the name on the card. And when I order using the wife's credit card I often enter my name instead of hers, and no sites ever flagged that. 

Try just putting her name in the site instead of initials 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    The card was accepted when booking the hire online. Rejected when I arrived at the destination and tried to collect the car and had to present the card to leave a deposit.  Apparently the new rule is the card needs to show full name, no initials. Been using same rental for years. No mention of this when booking online but it does say it on the voucher you print off to show at the desk. My bad I've not checked it, habit says valid passport, CC and driving licence is all you need. 

I was told I either give up the booking and lose what I've paid (can't cancel same day) or pay for their premium non refundable insurance package which covers upfront any potential damage and requires no deposit. It was 2x what I paid originally. Late night, two small children, loads of luggage and 100km away from final destination. Had swallow it up and pay. Funnily enough I've paid for it with the very same card that was rejected minutes earlier and for that transaction it was accepted without issues. Barclaycard are investigating it whether the rental forced that payment on me. 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11946
    can't you just phone your cc company and ask them to reissue the card with your full name?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1425
    This doesn't sound like it should be "your problem".

I'm aware of how flippant that sounds but it seems like one set of self interested corporate guidelines bumping into another, with you caught in between.Just your luck that they got you at a pressured moment, I'm sorry to hear that.

Could perhaps be worth a letter to Hire firm and Barclaycard too.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    @ToneControl you clever ha ha. New card with my full name to arrive in 5 working days. Thanks man. 

@GoFish yes, I've already reported it to Barclaycard as per above. Bit of a dodgy practice to reject the card for deposit purposes and accept a minute later as a payment for premium insurance. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23005
    KrisGee said:
    That's ludicrous!  What if your full name has too many characters?  None of my cards have my full name.  The closest I've got is one with full first name - middle initials - full surname.
    KrisGee said:
    I was told I either give up the booking and lose what I've paid (can't cancel same day) or pay for their premium non refundable insurance package which covers upfront any potential damage and requires no deposit. It was 2x what I paid originally. Late night, two small children, loads of luggage and 100km away from final destination. Had swallow it up and pay. Funnily enough I've paid for it with the very same card that was rejected minutes earlier and for that transaction it was accepted without issues. Barclaycard are investigating it whether the rental forced that payment on me. 
    That just sounds like a full-on scam.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NickLNickL Frets: 153
    At the very least it sounds like some dodgy practice by the agent to maximise their commission for up-selling insurance. Which hire company was it, so we know to avoid them?
    Flex To Go at Wroclaw airport. They also operate in Germany. 

I googled a little bit and turns out similar rules at some of Greek car rentals too so not an isolated incident. 

Like I said it was my bad for not checking prior to arrival, but it's one of those you never check, did it 1000s of times and would never thought they'd require something as stupid as that. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23005
    Does the credit card also have to match the passport?  I saw a passport recently, the guy's name was so long that it just stopped midway through his surname.  I can't remember if the full name was included in the notes on the opposite page of the passport.  There's absolutely no way his full name would fit on a credit card.
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5012
    Philly_Q said:
    Does the credit card also have to match the passport?  I saw a passport recently, the guy's name was so long that it just stopped midway through his surname.  I can't remember if the full name was included in the notes on the opposite page of the passport.  There's absolutely no way his full name would fit on a credit card.

Yes, it will have been. Passports only support up to 30 characters each for surname and forenames, so they abbreviate whatever doesn't fit as initials and the full name is added to the observation page, "The holder is..." full name.

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11946
    KrisGee said:
    @ToneControl you clever ha ha. New card with my full name to arrive in 5 working days. Thanks man. 

@GoFish yes, I've already reported it to Barclaycard as per above. Bit of a dodgy practice to reject the card for deposit purposes and accept a minute later as a payment for premium insurance. 
    Might be possible to do a chargeback
    https://www.ukfinance.org.uk/our-expertise/cards/chargeback-and-section-75
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4191
    Philly_Q said:
    KrisGee said:
    That's ludicrous!  What if your full name has too many characters?  None of my cards have my full name.  The closest I've got is one with full first name - middle initials - full surname.
    KrisGee said:
    That just sounds like a full-on scam.
    Another in the long line of legal scams perpetuated on us by mega business 
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1052
    My bank asked me what I wanted name wise on my credit card.