Nothing annoys me more than this…

What's Hot

Comments

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2417
    What irks me more is dealers and sellers just making shit up about guitars...this week Mr Jordan declared that Yuriy Shishkov only built 50 of the1954 50th Anni Strats in 2004.....what utter bollocks!! They made circa 2300 in a year fairly equally between the nine masterbuilders and their assistants so where he has invented fifty from lord knows, Boringly I have a mate obsessed with them who for the last 20 yrs has kept a register and he has 187 Shishkov's recorded thus far. 
    Dirty guitars can be cleaned and strings replaced...lies tend to snowball.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23218
    Offset said:
    Maybe, but look at the state of the frets.  That thing has been stored in a cold, damp garage or somewhere similar.

• ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1160
    Grumpy old men the lot of you!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7451
    The poking out ends of the strings and most of the sections from the nut to the tuners aren't either.  That guitar has sat in a case where the fluffy lining in contact with the strings over the fretboard had absorbed moisture, but the headstock has been suspended in the void at the end of the case where the strings haven't been touching the damp fluffy lining.

How much is that selling for?
    edited April 28
    BillDL said:
    £2,100, starting price.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2212
    BillDL said:
    The poking out ends of the strings and most of the sections from the nut to the tuners aren't either.  That guitar has sat in a case where the fluffy lining in contact with the strings over the fretboard had absorbed moisture, but the headstock has been suspended in the void at the end of the case where the strings haven't been touching the damp fluffy lining.

Starting bid of £2,100. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10765
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    Maybe, but look at the state of the frets.  That thing has been stored in a cold, damp garage or somewhere similar.

Jeez that's manky ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12056
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:

My tongue was buried so far into my cheek it nearly burst out the other side  ;)
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1611
    edited April 28

The stupid amount of packaging on pretty much every shaving product ... especially that blister pack plastic that is sharper than glass when torn, cuts you nearly to the bone ...  and is probably better to shave with than the over priced, multi bladed product contained in it.
    Trainspotting Redux - the Director's cut:

Choose life.
    Choose a job.
    Choose a career.
    Choose leisure wear and matching luggage.
    Choose a three piece suite on hire purchase in a range of fucking fabrics.
    Choose a shaving product with a stupid amount of packaging and  that blister pack plastic that is sharper than glass when torn, cuts you nearly to the bone and is probably better to shave with than the over priced, multi bladed product contained in it.

And wondering who the f*ck you are on a Sunday morning.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    My tongue was buried so far into my cheek it nearly burst out the other side  ;)
    Oh yeah, I wasn't responding in an argumentative sense, just used your post as a jumping-off point. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 328
    Recall seeing one of Huw Lloyd-Langtons old guitars up for sale after he passed away. It came with what looked like 40 years of accumulated rock'n'roll lifestyle dripping (almost literally) off it.

I believe it was this one.

https://www.guitar-auctions.co.uk/sale/2/100/Huw-LloydLangton--1974-Gibson-Les-Paul-Custom-20th-Anniversary-electric-guitar-made-in-USA-ser-no-397846

seen here after somebody went over it with a jet washer, wire brush and dettol.

Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • SvartmetallSvartmetall Frets: 720
    "Nothing annoys me more than this..."

See also: calling a vibrato a 'tremelo'. 

• SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 851
    It does always amaze me that some people are clueless about selling items and as a result I've picked up a few bargains along the way, for example this Crafter SA for £100 (after I'd given it a bit of love and attention). The guy couldn't shift it, he had really, really rubbish photos and it had obviously never been cleaned from the day he bought it!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10765
    tFB Trader
    It does always amaze me that some people are clueless about selling items and as a result I've picked up a few bargains along the way, for example this Crafter SA for £100 (after I'd given it a bit of love and attention). The guy couldn't shift it, he had really, really rubbish photos and it had obviously never been cleaned from the day he bought it!

Ooooo that's lovely! 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12012
    munckee said:
    realizing I’ve let sausages go out of date or child poverty....
    How can you compare those two things!!

I let a packet of Tesco Finest sausages go a week out of date once and had to bin them I was fucking fuming!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12056
    munckee said:

I let a packet of Tesco Finest sausages go a week out of date once and had to bin them I was fucking fuming!
    A week?  Smell them.  If they're not rank, cook them!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    "Nothing annoys me more than this..."

See also: calling a vibrato a 'tremelo'. 

You're fighting the tide on that one, King Canute.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12012
    Offset said:
    munckee said:

A week?  Smell them.  If they're not rank, cook them!
    I did - they were distinctly "gamey".
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4334
    Fez said:
    TTony said:

It was her son's guitar.  He loved that guitar and she has many memories of him studying, learning and practising.  He used to play some of her favourite songs on it.  She remembers he collected a few stickers, and remembers him putting them on the guitar, each one related to an event that meant something to him at the time.  That guitar was his most treasured possession.

He left the guitar at home when he went off to University, for safe-keeping as much as anything.  Unfortunately he never came home again, and never will.  But the parents kept the guitar as it had so many happy memories associated with it.

His father never really recovered from the shock and the loss.  He lost his job and, although she tried to keep everything together, they ended up losing the house and the next one, and the one after that.  Moving from one short-term rental to another, they took the guitar with them each time, but it picked up the odd dent and scratch, a string or two broke and it started to look its age.

When the father finally succumbed, and she moved again, into the cold, damp, bedsit, she still took the guitar with her, and used to sit in the dark evenings, just holding it and remembering for her last days.

A distant relative is now clearing those last possessions, hoping to raise enough cash to cover the funeral bill.  They don't know much - anything - about guitars or the memories associated with this one.  To them, it's just another "thing" to get rid of.

So, stick a quick ad on marketplace and see if anyone can take it away.  Sure it looks a bit tatty, old and unloved, but they know enough to realise that trying to fix it up might damage it more.

So, a '59 Les Paul for £250 seems like a decent enough deal, even if it does need £9.99 spending on it for a new set of strings.

That is an imaginative piece of work, you should write some country songs.
    The world doesn't need more country 'music'.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom