Nothing annoys me more than this…

What's Hot
NerineNerine Frets: 2176
You see an ad for a guitar on Facebook marketplace or similar. 

The guitar is filthy, the strings are rusty or some are missing, it has stickers on it, et cetera.

TAKE THE FUCKING STICKERS OFF. 
CLEAN IT.
PUT SOME NEW STRINGS ON IT BEFORE SELLING IT.

Seriously. How FUCKING LAZY do you need to be that you can’t be arsed to make an effort to convince people to buy what you are selling for the price you’re asking for?! 

It bothers me to no end when you see absolute dopes trying to sell something whilst simultaneously demonstrating they give zero fucks about the thing they are trying to sell. 

Stop being a lazy c***. Present it properly and show prospective buyers you at least tried to care for it for fucks sake… 
8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3037
    Surely the fact that somebody is selling off one of their possessions is more than enough proof that the seller gives zero or less fucks about it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7361
    edited April 28

"Nothing annoys me more than this…"

How about being stung on the nutsack by a wasp or standing on an upturned 3-pin plug in bare feet?  I would surmise that those events would be marginally more annoying, along with being pranked by fibreglass insulation fuzz on the bogroll or having the cold meat on your filled roll replaced by a piece of tough cardboard

I agree with you about people not bothering to make a guitar clean and presentable before photographing it for a sale advert, but it annoys me less than buying an ice cream cone and the ice cream plopping off onto the ground before you reach the park bench, or a gull shitting on your freshly opened fish & chips.  I think you're just being dramatic  ;)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3537
    Yes, CLEAN YOUR FECKIN GUITAR! Bone bloody idle, the lot of em!
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9670
    Seems like a great opportunity to get the seller to lower the price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27649

It was her son's guitar.  He loved that guitar and she has many memories of him studying, learning and practising.  He used to play some of her favourite songs on it.  She remembers he collected a few stickers, and remembers him putting them on the guitar, each one related to an event that meant something to him at the time.  That guitar was his most treasured possession.

He left the guitar at home when he went off to University, for safe-keeping as much as anything.  Unfortunately he never came home again, and never will.  But the parents kept the guitar as it had so many happy memories associated with it.

His father never really recovered from the shock and the loss.  He lost his job and, although she tried to keep everything together, they ended up losing the house and the next one, and the one after that.  Moving from one short-term rental to another, they took the guitar with them each time, but it picked up the odd dent and scratch, a string or two broke and it started to look its age.

When the father finally succumbed, and she moved again, into the cold, damp, bedsit, she still took the guitar with her, and used to sit in the dark evenings, just holding it and remembering for her last days.

A distant relative is now clearing those last possessions, hoping to raise enough cash to cover the funeral bill.  They don't know much - anything - about guitars or the memories associated with this one.  To them, it's just another "thing" to get rid of.

So, stick a quick ad on marketplace and see if anyone can take it away.  Sure it looks a bit tatty, old and unloved, but they know enough to realise that trying to fix it up might damage it more.

So, a '59 Les Paul for £250 seems like a decent enough deal, even if it does need £9.99 spending on it for a new set of strings.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3041
    I quite like it when guitars are covered in muck and not really cared for. If the price is adjusted accordingly (big discount!)I find cleaning up, setting up and bringing an unloved guitar back to life quite cathartic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12414
    Nothing annoys me more either well this or pot holes or realizing I’ve let sausages go out of date or child poverty maybe but probably the guitar strings.  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 289
    Nothing annoys me more than a nothing annoys me more thread that doesn't mention Chappers, Essex Recording Studios, Ian Elson, bedroom dealers or the price of gear today.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 529
    TTony said:

It was her son's guitar.  He loved that guitar and she has many memories of him studying, learning and practising.  He used to play some of her favourite songs on it.  She remembers he collected a few stickers, and remembers him putting them on the guitar, each one related to an event that meant something to him at the time.  That guitar was his most treasured possession.

He left the guitar at home when he went off to University, for safe-keeping as much as anything.  Unfortunately he never came home again, and never will.  But the parents kept the guitar as it had so many happy memories associated with it.

His father never really recovered from the shock and the loss.  He lost his job and, although she tried to keep everything together, they ended up losing the house and the next one, and the one after that.  Moving from one short-term rental to another, they took the guitar with them each time, but it picked up the odd dent and scratch, a string or two broke and it started to look its age.

When the father finally succumbed, and she moved again, into the cold, damp, bedsit, she still took the guitar with her, and used to sit in the dark evenings, just holding it and remembering for her last days.

A distant relative is now clearing those last possessions, hoping to raise enough cash to cover the funeral bill.  They don't know much - anything - about guitars or the memories associated with this one.  To them, it's just another "thing" to get rid of.

So, stick a quick ad on marketplace and see if anyone can take it away.  Sure it looks a bit tatty, old and unloved, but they know enough to realise that trying to fix it up might damage it more.

So, a '59 Les Paul for £250 seems like a decent enough deal, even if it does need £9.99 spending on it for a new set of strings.

That is an imaginative piece of work, you should write some country songs.
    Don't touch that dial.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10582
    tFB Trader
    Oooooo I could find a feck sight more that annoys me than this ... 

People who inflict their ill disciplined children on everyone else in restaurants or god forbid -pubs.

Fruit flies ... the little bastards invade your house and try and reenact a biblical plague ...

Lack of public toilets in London ... or pretty much anywhere these days (are we supposed to have evolvolved beyond needing a dump?)

People fly-tipping ... especially random jizzy matrasses left blocking pavements ...

The stupid amount of packaging on pretty much every shaving product ... especially that blister pack plastic that is sharper than glass when torn, cuts you nearly to the bone ...  and is probably better to shave with than the over priced, multi bladed product contained in it.

People who talk loudly on their mobiles in Post Office queues ... summary execution is too good for them.

Shitty couriers (see my other thread)

Door to door charity collectors running a 'don't dare interrupt me' script. 

Grown arsed people riding bycicles on pavements ... or worse e-scooters. 

The rash of betting shops like Paddy Powers that infect our towns like 'High Street Gonorrhoea'  

I could go on 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 529
    @OilCityPickups With you on those.
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14535
    BillDL said:

"Nothing annoys me more than this…"

How about … standing on an upturned 3-pin plug in bare feet?
    Try absent-mindedly kneeling on one. :frown: 

I concur with those who take haggler's viewpoint. Grot, grime, gunk, rust, stickers or absent/unusable strings = discount.

When I first read the Discussion title, I thought it was somebody slagging off Roxy Music. "Nothing annoys me more than More Than This." 

High Street Gonorrhoea
    Great band. Rumoured to be reforming for a forty-fifth anniversary tour. :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1457

"The rash of betting shops like Paddy Powers that infect our towns like 'High Street Gonorrhoea'  "
    I love this!!
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1481
    edited April 28
    I don’t mind if guitars are knackered. I don’t have to buy. But sometimes I do cos they might have a character that case queens don’t.

I really don’t like it when people use their phones at the cinema. That’s annoying. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4936
    I once bought a guitar which was covered in stickers: body, neck, headstock, everywhere.
    It took me ages to get them all off (but was quite therapeutic) and in the process the screen printed/waterslide brand name came off too.
    I sold it and the buyer later came back and complained that the logo had been removed, so he was concerned it wasn't genuine.
    I explained to him about the stickers removal, but he kept on insisting he wasn't happy.
    I said he could bring it back and I'd give him his money back; I never heard from him again.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1433
    Erm, 2000 for the Gibson?
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14321
    tFB Trader
    Nerine said:
    You see an ad for a guitar on Facebook marketplace or similar. 

The guitar is filthy, the strings are rusty or some are missing, it has stickers on it, et cetera.

TAKE THE FUCKING STICKERS OFF. 
    CLEAN IT.
    PUT SOME NEW STRINGS ON IT BEFORE SELLING IT.

Seriously. How FUCKING LAZY do you need to be that you can’t be arsed to make an effort to convince people to buy what you are selling for the price you’re asking for?! 

It bothers me to no end when you see absolute dopes trying to sell something whilst simultaneously demonstrating they give zero fucks about the thing they are trying to sell. 

Stop being a lazy c***. Present it properly and show prospective buyers you at least tried to care for it for fucks sake… 
    I am 100% with you on this - Present it in a format that will interest a potential buyer and when they play it, they can at least evaluate it, close to its potential 'best playability' - Dirty scruffy guitars, for sale in a shop, with finger marks all over the place, not even close to in-tune, poorly set-up etc is a no no - And the same goes for private sellers

I think the issue, for private sellers, is that some don't realise a) how bad their presentation is and b) how much better it could be to play once tidied up - I see customer come in the shop with one string broken and wanting me to replace that one string - the other strings are so shitty and dirty they will be snapping shortly anyway - But the whole guitar is so dirty I feel like showing it down first with some disinfectant  

Quick story - About 40 years ago I fancied a Golf GTi - Saw one on the dealer's forecourt on the way home every night - So this one Friday night I left work early to have a look at it - Looking at it and was approached by the usual 'walking smart suit' - Asked a few questions then asked about a test drive - Not an option he said as it has a flat tyre - So why present it on the forecourt, for sale, with the usual price sign on the window, when it is not 'retail ready' - he asked me to come back on Monday - I did, to tell him I'd brought another GTi elsewhere 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1093
    Usually those types of sellers either don't play anymore or have never played before to know enough about changing strings as they just want to shift the item.
  • BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 140
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom