Songs which use pedal notes

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3337
    On this basis, I think Journey's 'Separate Ways' may also be an example, both the intro and some of the verse or am I wrong?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • borntohangborntohang Frets: 159
    Queen and David Bowie's Under Pressure utilises a pedal D based riff in the intro and first half of the verses (if you're including a bass guitar providing the pedal note). The bass then follows the descending major scale on the second half of the verse down the octave, more melodically underpinning the chord changes. Very effective!
    UP is a beautiful progression. Hammer To Fall is another nice obvious one where the open A pedals through both the verse riff and the chorus riff - don't think it changes up until the bridge and it's so dramatic because of that.
  • vizviz Frets: 10731
    Mr Brightside has an upper pedal in the vocals

https://youtu.be/gGdGFtwCNBE?feature=shared
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • DecorativeedDecorativeed Frets: 35
    Haych said:
    So, I've been noodling and have fallen upon a nice little ditty.  Trouble is (maybe it isn't?), it uses a pedal note throughout on the A string, while the chord tones (just the 3rd and 5th) change between D^, C^, Bm, Am and G^.

To me it sounds alright, I quite like it, but I'm worried that hanging on to the A pedal/bass/whatever it actually is, is completely boring.

I can't think of any for myself, but are there any well known songs which hang onto a pedal throughout?  Are there any which use a pedal for a significant part but change partway through?

Would be interesting to research how writers far better than me handled it.

TIA

The Beatles' All Too Much is just G all the way through, and it manages to still be sonically interesting.

Perhaps my favourite example though, is this one. Ira Kaplan's guitar line has a drone in D, but the simple descending bassline provides all the harmonic complexity:

• MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3040
    Hands All Over by Soundgarden- in dropped D, the open 4th string D is droned and pedalled throughout 

https://youtu.be/sQOOgQtLI4M?si=Sobl2TsAMVzKDl0z
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 587
    She Sells Sanctuary - The Cult. If there is a point that open D string isn't being played I can't remember it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5866
    Hitch a Ride by Boston pedals the "A" note on the intro and verses. It's probably one of my favourites on that album.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1987
    Isn't putting in pedal points what your looper pedal is for if you want to accompany yourself?

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3145
    Queen and David Bowie's Under Pressure utilises a pedal D based riff in the intro and first half of the verses (if you're including a bass guitar providing the pedal note). The bass then follows the descending major scale on the second half of the verse down the octave, more melodically underpinning the chord changes. Very effective!
    UP is a beautiful progression. Hammer To Fall is another nice obvious one where the open A pedals through both the verse riff and the chorus riff - don't think it changes up until the bridge and it's so dramatic because of that.
    Add Tie Your Mother down to this list
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • BorkBork Frets: 259
    edited May 16

Mull of Kintyre - Wings...pretty much anything based off bagpipes has pedal tones.  Although technically there are two in the chorus.

Black Mountainside - Led Zep, quite a few folk songs have pedal tones.

Black Mountainside was based on another song by Bert Jansch called Black Waterside.

[This space for rent]