Songs which use pedal notes

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5682
So, I've been noodling and have fallen upon a nice little ditty.  Trouble is (maybe it isn't?), it uses a pedal note throughout on the A string, while the chord tones (just the 3rd and 5th) change between D^, C^, Bm, Am and G^.

To me it sounds alright, I quite like it, but I'm worried that hanging on to the A pedal/bass/whatever it actually is, is completely boring.

I can't think of any for myself, but are there any well known songs which hang onto a pedal throughout?  Are there any which use a pedal for a significant part but change partway through?

Would be interesting to research how writers far better than me handled it.

TIA

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26734
    Errr....every djent song ever?
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5682
    Hmm, no disrespect to djent, but it’s not the kind of stuff I’m ever likely to hear. 

Anything slightly more folky maybe?

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2427
    There are some fairly epic pedals on the violins in this:

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7837

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 151
    Can’t think of anything specific but there’s quite a few of Led Zep’s more acoustic stuff that’s quite pedally- particularly if in an alternate tuning. Can’t think of a song that maintains it throughout, there’s usually a move to the 4 or 5. 

It’s often used as a bit of a bridge- think run to the hills. 
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 865
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26734
    Haych said:
    Hmm, no disrespect to djent, but it’s not the kind of stuff I’m ever likely to hear. 

Anything slightly more folky maybe?
    No no, by all means - disrespect away.

Although on second thoughts, I'm not sure it counts as "pedal notes" when there are no other notes in the song.
    <space for hire>
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4925
    The Beatles' "If I Needed Someone" has a pedal note through the verse (I think it's in A), but changes for the middle eight.  
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5865
    Here is a good demo.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • vizviz Frets: 10719
    edited May 13
    Kashmir
    Jump
    Smoke on the Water (that low G)
    Wonderwall (top G and D)
    Al di Meola - Song to the Pharaoh Kings (when the bass kicks in - it’s a pedal tune rather than note)
    Everybody wants to rule the world
    Mr Brightside - pedal in the vocals
    Bon Jovi - Dead or Alive (the D)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2253
    Does thunderstruck qualify?
  • Have a listen to  Mississippi hill country players such as Robert Belfour and RL Burnside. There are a lot of tunes which just stick to one chord with a pedal bass throughout the whole number, such as John Lee Hooker's Boogie Chillun..and of course as done by ZZ Top with La Grange. Here's my take on the Robert Belfour classic "Hill Stomp".

• vizviz Frets: 10719
    edited April 30
    slacker said:
    Does thunderstruck qualify?

Yep
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    What is a pedal bass?
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5682
    Here is a good demo.

Thanks @Bellycaster, that was very informative.  Appreciate everyone else's input too, thank you.

• Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1653
    We Built This City by Starship uses one I think in the verse. Builds a nice tension then releases it in what's probably the pre-chorus.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7381
    Most traditional Southern African music uses pedal tones, most often with the vocal lines over the music (think of Wimoweh), but in many instances in the guitar playing.  Listen to Under African Skies by Paul Simon as a kind of modernised example of that African style.  It's played in Eb and most people would just play a I, IV, I, V loop, but I hear it differently with a pedal note either being played or being implied as the melody dances around that note.  Transpose it to E and start with the open A form full barre chord at the 7th fret where the B note on the high E is ringing and make a point of catching that with upstrokes. Go to IV chord (open E form barre) at the 5th fret, but instead of playing the ordinary major chord move your pinky down to the 1st string, 7th fret (A9) so that it keeps the B note ringing as you catch it with staccato upstrokes.  Back to E again and for the V chord play it as the open E form barre chord B or B7 and keep catching that B note on the 7th fret of the 1st string.  That may not be the way either guitar plays it, but that's the sound I hear in my head as it is all put together with vocals and bass.  It can sound a little dissonant but it's fleeting and is the essence of syncopted and slightly dissonant Southern African music that I grew up hearing.
  • Queen and David Bowie's Under Pressure utilises a pedal D based riff in the intro and first half of the verses (if you're including a bass guitar providing the pedal note). The bass then follows the descending major scale on the second half of the verse down the octave, more melodically underpinning the chord changes. Very effective!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72572
    Simple Minds - Waterfront. The keyboards and guitar change chords but the bass stays on the same repeated D note the whole way through.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    Back of my hand by the Jags has a pedal note in the into motif.