For you old farts (like me) out there. What OGWT moment was life changing for you?

What's Hot

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12445
    I was a bit you for OGWT being born in 72 but have the 4 disc DVD set, standouts for me being The New York Dolls and the Edgar Winter Group doing Frankenstein, both ridiculous and marvellous and opposite ends of the spectrum of "ability"
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12445
    Philtre said:

wow, I had a tape of the acoustic version of this with Larry Coryell when I was at school

https://open.spotify.com/album/7L1FK39PFS7yAZIiTbGY4x?si=lINg_rIIQm6o8acOsvOq6A

@ToneControl I adore Larry's playing on the Gary Burton album Duster 

"OUR TOSSPOT"
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9786
    Three OGWT moments for me. Seeing…

Tom Petty
    Dr Feelgood
    Graham Parker and the Rumour

…for the first time.

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23428
    I always post the same clip on these threads.  Not life changing, but it's just great.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9786

ALR said:
    There should be a show like that again. No sets, no lights, no production - just get on stage and perform your song with 2 cameras to record you.
    You mean something like Later with Jools Holland?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12230
    Philly_Q said:
    I always post the same clip on these threads.  Not life changing, but it's just great.

YES.  This 200%.  That Firebird is the epitome of cool and I've always adored the sound he got out of them (although I always associate him with the sunburst version) - but Johnny... Johnny, Johnny, Johnny... what the FUCK were you wearing mate?!  He was sporting the same horror-show on the cover of Captured Live.  D'oh!
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12230
    Sorry to be a bore - but for the last track on this OGWT JW special, he's playing a Gibson Firebird with a three-a-side headstock.  It's a new one on me.

• 26.226.2 Frets: 536
    Dr Feelgood in 1974, then later Television and Patti Smith (both 1978 IIRC)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1639
    Bill Nelson and BeBopDeluxe / Maid in Heaven were it for me (though I always pictured him playing this in a suit and waistcoat for some reason):

First band I'd ever seen on it I liked. And had a band nobody else had heard of to write on my school-bag. Felt like a proper rock music fan from that point on :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6802
    edited April 30
    As a 12 year old, this blew my mind. 

And as a 15 year old, so did this. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4854
    edited April 30
    There have been so many OGWT moments for me, but the first one that popped into my head is probably the best one for our purposes here...

Alice Cooper - Under My Wheels. Not because of the music, but because I'd never seen anything like that before on TV. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11399
    Absolutely agree with BeBop Deluxe, absolutely brilliant.

And The Motors doing a long version of Dancing The Night Away. How that was never a hit and dreck like Airport was shows how dumb people are.

Oh, and Nine Below Zero playing the Whistle Test theme.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2616
    edited April 30
    I forgot about Psycho Killer.  That would definitely be on my list.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19213
    Offset said:
    Sorry to be a bore - but for the last track on this OGWT JW special, he's playing a Gibson Firebird with a three-a-side headstock.  It's a new one on me.

Not boring, I'd seen the show, but hadn't registered the headstock before  *facepalm*.
    It seems to have been a renecked/reheaded hybrid.
    Still prefer the proper Firebird headstock on a Firebird  ;)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8815
    OGWT was a big thing in my life. It’s somewhere on TV where you saw bands actually playing live. I can’t say that any OGWT performance was life changing, mainly because I saw so many bands live. Dave Stopps used to book them for the Friars club. My friend Barry and I were often at the edge of the stage. Memorably 3ft from Bowie, and 6ft from Ronson. 

Bands of note included King Crimson, Focus, Mott the Hoople, Barclay James Harvest, Genesis and Alex Harvey. I had never seen any guitarist as fast as Jan Akkerman - and he was musical with it.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23428
    I have to post these... one of my all time favourite bands, from back home in South Wales.  Both clips from 1977 apparently, but two different singers.  The 1970s... when people were skinny.

• blobbblobb Frets: 3085
    I came late to the OGWT test party too. I do remember the Whispering Bob shows but it was this 1986 performance that was life changing for me.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1639
    scrumhalf said:
    Absolutely agree with BeBop Deluxe, absolutely brilliant.

And The Motors doing a long version of Dancing The Night Away. How that was never a hit and dreck like Airport was shows how dumb people are.

Oh, and Nine Below Zero playing the Whistle Test theme.
    We must have been separated at birth dude - I still have this in play at home :)

• ALRALR Frets: 127
    HAL9000 said:

ALR said:
    There should be a show like that again. No sets, no lights, no production - just get on stage and perform your song with 2 cameras to record you.
    You mean something like Later with Jools Holland?
    Not at all. OGWT was done behind the sets at Television centre. There was minimal lighting, there was no audience and certainly no celeb guests in the crowd. As far as I can remember it was a two, maybe three camera shoot. Extremely dry and not in any way ‘worthy.’
    My music blog:
    http://alrmusicblog.blogspot.com/ (updated Feb 2023)
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6216
    Philly_Q said:
    I have to post these... one of my all time favourite bands, from back home in South Wales.  Both clips from 1977 apparently, but two different singers.  The 1970s... when people were skinny.

One of my all time favourites too. When I was in my first teenage rock band back in the late 70s, we considered these guys the gold standard. Unfortunately they were peaking as punk came along and decimated the progressive rock music scene at the time.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"