For you old farts (like me) out there. What OGWT moment was life changing for you?

What's Hot

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4747
    edited May 1
    I'd always been into blues/blues-rock, so Rory Gallagher, Johnny Winter et al, but seeing Joni Mitchell, james Taylor and Jackson Browne opened my eyes to a lot of other things.  And Dory Previn too.

To this day, if I could only have one album for ever it would be a Joni one.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12230
    Offset said:
    Sorry to be a bore - but for the last track on this OGWT JW special, he's playing a Gibson Firebird with a three-a-side headstock.  It's a new one on me.
    Not boring, I'd seen the show, but hadn't registered the headstock before  *facepalm*.
    It seems to have been a renecked/reheaded hybrid.
    Still prefer the proper Firebird headstock on a Firebird  ;)
    Someone on TGP says "...that Firebird had a Les Paul's headstock grafted on after the original Firebird's headstock broke."

I wonder if that 'broke' as well :-)

cFOEWLCjpg.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1032
    Philly_Q said:
    I have to post these... one of my all time favourite bands, from back home in South Wales.  Both clips from 1977 apparently, but two different singers.  The 1970s... when people were skinny.

They were skinny due to the ongoing Strikes .... lol 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1639
    Philly_Q said:
    I have to post these... one of my all time favourite bands, from back home in South Wales.  Both clips from 1977 apparently, but two different singers.  The 1970s... when people were skinny.

Had forgotten about Flying in the Reel - absolute belter of a song :)
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 666
    You had to be there.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1504
    goldtop said:
    Can't remember when exactly, but it was John Martyn playing the acoustic with a Strat pickup and making it sound like no acoustic I'd heard before.
    this?

Not a Strat pickup, but a D'Armond acoustic pickup.  I still have mine from the 70's.  It has a great sound.

These are a few of my favourites:

A band you may have forgotten:

And one of my favourite Roxy Music tracks:

One that I was never able to find, but I thought was amazing at the time, was a band called Home and the song was "Lady of the Birds".
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14653
    edited May 5
    I'm going to nominate the Bruce Bickford plasticine animation used with City Of Tiny Lights by Frank Zappa.

The animation was actually excerpts intended to synchronise with The Adventures Of Greggery Peccary. Hence, the scenes featuring the nocturnal gregarious wild swine driving his red Volkswagen to the ugly part of town and, later, encountering Billy The Mountain.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GJK1959GJK1959 Frets: 54
    Link Wray looking totally badass with Robert Gordon playing The Way I Walk 

previously 'retsacotarts' on music radar forum
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19213
    Haven't seen this one here yet. Sadly the clip doesn't include Bob Harris at his most sarcastic... the twat.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12468
    Focus was the seminal OGWT appearance for me, although ZZ Top doing Cheap Sunglasses runs it close. 
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 351
    I think Johnny Winter’s All Along The Watchrower
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4178
    I'm going to nominate the Bruce Bickford plasticine animation used with City Of Tiny Lights by Frank Zappa.

The animation was actually excerpts intended to synchronise with The Adventures Of Greggery Peccary. Hence, the scenes featuring the nocturnal gregarious wild swine driving his red Volkswagen to the ugly part of town and, later, encountering Billy The Mountain.
    Voodn, voodn!
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 562
    I honestly don't remember any, must be my age!

• freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1226
    Link to my trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 374
    edited May 17
    Diverting slightly from the main event, I don’t remember OGWT performances as much as the Sight and Sound in Concert and Rock Goes to College performances which I think were on the Beeb. Maybe because of the broadcast timing and my Dad not wanting ‘rubbish’ on the TV? From the latter I distinctly remember Tull, Supertramp, Colloseum II (with Gary Moore), Lone Star, Nazareth. It’s a great shame SAHB never did theirs but it opened the door for AC/DC. I bought albums by all those bands on the basis of those shows so definitely not a punk in 77 :-)
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23428
    Diverting slightly from the main event, I don’t remember OGWT performances as much as the Sight and Sound in Concert and Rock Goes to College performances which I think were on the Beeb. Maybe because of the broadcast timing and my Dad not wanting ‘rubbish’ on the TV? From the latter I distinctly remember Tull, Supertramp, Colloseum II (with Gary Moore), Lone Star, Nazareth. It’s a great shame SAHB never did theirs but it opened the door for AC/DC. I bought albums by all those bands on the basis of those shows so definitely not a punk in 77 :-)
    I remember Robin Trower being on Rock Goes to College just as I was starting to get into his music.  Other than that, I don't think I saw many of them.  I have watched the Lone Star one on YouTube but the quality's not great.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 391
    From two years after I left school at sixteen, here are Green On Red.
    Young Chuck Prophet on Squier Tele, I've met Dan multiple times.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12230
    ^^ I absolutely ADORED Green On Red.  Saw them on London in the very early 1990s and they were great.  Always loved Chuck's playing.
  • Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 995
    I know its cliche - but this blew me away when I saw it for the first time - the first reggae I actively listened to as a 16 year old purely into brit pop - I remember being flawed by how perfect the tempo was - how right it was -I couldn't understand the one drop...... and they really look the part. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf8GjhXvOjU
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2338
    No, none of them. I’ve enjoyed some of them since (particularly Bowie and the Spiders), but at the time it was frustrating trying to get any kind of volume on the family monochrome TV set as the Beeb seemed to throttle it as a matter of principle.