SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

DiMarzio Super Distortion is £33 at Amazon

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4172
    Mine’s arrived, only a few months ‘early’ - how was I meant to build anything in that time for it?! :mrgreen:

It seems to be legit though, from what I can see at least :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14575
    Pics of the underside, please.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • theimageofalltheimageofall Frets: 126
    edited May 10
    I picked one up. Here's the back. Not sure if I needed to black out the number, but I did - just in case. Never had one before and at that price thought it was worth the risk. Installed into a PRS SE 594 McCarty and it sounds really good to my ears.

• jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 836
    Here is a normal spaced (48.6mm) Super Distortion on my strat with a 54mm saddle spacing Gotoh tremolo.

It would be even worse with a vintage Strat tremolo with a saddle spacing of 56mm.

• jaymenon said:
    Here is a normal spaced (48.6mm) Super Distortion on my strat with a 54mm saddle spacing Gotoh tremolo.

It would be even worse with a vintage Strat tremolo with a saddle spacing of 56mm.

What does it sound like though?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 836
    The first string was definitely quieter. 

Not so evident when playing heavily overdriven. 

Definitely less volume, but in a subtle way when playing clean.

However, when I set up my amplifier on the edge of break up, the other strings overdrove with a little ‘hair’ while the  first string remained clean.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 10
    I have it installed into a PRS which has the wider spacing than a Gibson, so the strings don't line up perfectly (although not too bad). I did a very crude recording playing across each string once to establish string volume visually and it was pretty even (I tried to be consistent in my playing). I am really impressed and like the sound (I play mid to high gain). It is something I do sometimes to adjust pole piece height to get a consistent volume across the strings.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Pics of the underside, please.

If they’re fake then they’re very elaborate ones - the packaging is identical to ‘normal’ Dimarzios:

It is something I do sometimes to adjust pole piece height to get a consistent volume across the strings.

That’s pretty creative, nice idea!
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    They came from the dimarzio store on amazon, the likelihood of them being fake is extremely low
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 11
    Yes, I agree.

They had a similar deal for some Ultra Jazz Bass pickups a few weeks ago (which I also picked up), so I’m not too concerned.

My first Dimarzio pickups after being a Seymour Duncan user previously and I’m enjoying the different flavour they bring. I think they sound great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14575

That one looks right.

Pity that they don't have the same deal for a DP227BC. :frown:
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.