Join My Band - another belter of an advert.

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3273
    those people who spent lots of time…with an allergy to soap and water. It wasn't really anything to be proud of but always made you glad of the UK's stringent gun laws. 
    I agree that the ‘hygiene isn’t cool’ brigade have always been a bit extreme and niche, but being glad there’s a law in place that prevents you from shooting them does seem a bit extreme too. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1890
    Paul_C said:
    I've never liked the term "Involuntarily Celibate" for those who are just unpleasant humans.

Over the years I've worked with many people who have become involuntarily celibate due to injuries / accidents / negligent medical treatment etc.
    We just used to call those people 'weirdos' and avoid them. Not the disabled people but those people who spent lots of time indoors,alone and with an allergy to soap and water. It wasn't really anything to be proud of but always made you glad of the UK's stringent gun laws. 

The trouble with treating people like that is that it's a simple solution which requires no effort.

If you define a weirdo as "not like us" then it makes it easy to be actively cruel (kids shouting and laughing, people throwing things or abusing them) or politically cruel (benefits withdrawn, newspapers and other media abusing them), rather than making any effort to make their lives better.

It's not unusual for humans to behave this way to other humans, depressingly it's all too easy and the world is full of examples of this behaviour both small and horrifyingly large.

But if you can see another human being instead of a "weirdo" then the world would be a much better place. It's never going to happen, but it would be nice if it did.
    I don't think you quite caught the heavy dose of sarcasm or the use of words 'used to' as I was writing from a younger person's perspective. Probably my own outlook as a teenager. I have to admit that I don't understand what all this labelling means in the modern world but I do see how a few of these kinds of loner types tend to commit violent acts across the USA and guns feature heavily. I am glad of our own gun laws though as these things are used in 'copycat' incidents,especially as the US seems to influence our own society so much.
    I made no referencing to anti vaxxers in my post as I would call them selfish bastards rather than skirt around the houses with other labels.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    I agree that the ‘hygiene isn’t cool’ brigade have always been a bit extreme and niche
    ...hippies always smelled nice though
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I agree that the ‘hygiene isn’t cool’ brigade have always been a bit extreme and niche
    ...hippies always smelled nice though
    Patchouli oil and Devil’s lettuce 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4211
    Philly_Q said:
    cliffs of insanity. 
    An Eric Johnson/Tony MacAlpine instrumental mashup. 
    That’s brilliant ,well done 
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1890
    I suppose the use of the word 'my' rather than 'our' is a bit of a warning sign?
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11993
    I suppose the use of the word 'my' rather than 'our' is a bit of a warning sign?
    He probably used 'my' because at the time of writing, he was the only member :-)

I can't see that changing either.
  • borntohangborntohang Frets: 158
    I've never liked the term "Involuntarily Celibate" for those who are just unpleasant humans.

Over the years I've worked with many people who have become involuntarily celibate due to injuries / accidents / negligent medical treatment etc.
    Historically the term was coined as a support group for people who, for whatever reason, couldn't find romantic partners. There are plenty of people who maintain celibate romantic relationships but the modern incel community doesn't seem to make a distinction because the idea of a relationship that isn't for sex is alien to their world view.

Unfortunately it's self-selecting because as soon as you get a partner you're unlikely to remain in the community (and in modern communities they actively self police and kick out anybody who does). Instead you gradually filter out the people capable of self-reflection or improvement and end up with the 'orrible mucky bits left at the bottom, who are invested in keeping the others in the bucket with them. 

Bit awkward for me because I was a particularly socially inept teenager who struggled to make friends or find partners. I was lucky enough to fall into less toxic circles online rather than disappearing down that particular rabbit hole.