Clapton

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4757
    edited May 4
    Nearly 50 years ago, not in a good state, he said some pretty stupid things.  
    Nearly 50 years ago, you could say coon, paki and nigger in a light entertainment programme on the BBC and ITV so his choice of language wasn't out of the ordinary.
    He has said he regrets saying what he said more than once.
    People do like to be offended on behalf of other people.
    There are people being offended who weren't even born when EC said what he said.
    Most of the black players he has played with would count him as a friend although Robert Cray got a bit upset.
    He probably made the biggest contribution of all in taking the blues - not R&B - back to the USA and making it viable again..
    He is a talented player, playing at the very top of his genre.
    Not everyone likes his music.
    Let him who is without sin etc etc.

And you know what, I'm going to see him on Thursday night and I don't give give a fuck what anyone thinks about it; I won't feel guilty and I won't worry about whether, or not, he has profited from the sufferings of black people over 100 years ago.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1995
    Devil#20 said:
    Just had a look at that and yes he isn't a nice person is he. However, divorce yourself from that. I don't think any musician should mix their music with politics or religion. He was, however, a brilliant guitarist in my opinion. That's the subject of my OP. 
    So you want to delete all of Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Mozart then?
    However - being racist isn't politics. It's just being racist.

But - how do you feel about domestic violence and rape?

From the wiki, and from a Sunday Times interview:
    Steady on there. I already said early on I didn't know anything about the man. Watching the documentary just made me recall I seeing quite a few digs at Eric's music on tFB and didn't know why. The documentary was primarily about his music. It started off giving scant details of his early life. No parents and brought up by his older sister who he assumed was his Mum but that was about it. 

The politics and religion I was referring to were those artists that break from the set to spout their politics to a captive audience. That's not acceptable and not what you paid your money to listen to. Yes racism is racism but politics and religion can often be the precursor or catalyst.

Music often contains politics and religion as the subject matter and that's fine and so no I wouldn't delete any of the above because I'd be throwing out a large chunk of my record collection. I like music to make a statement. Neil Young is pre-eminent in that respect. 

What do I think about domestic violence and rape? Was that a serious question. 

Been an interesting thread and I've learned a lot. I still think he's a great guitarist though. However, I can now add to that it seems Eric was a particularly abnoxious person.

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24782
    rlw said:
    Nearly 50 years ago, you could say coon, paki and nigger in a light entertainment programme on the BBC and ITV so his choice of language wasn't out of the ordinary.
    There are people being offended who weren't even born when EC said what he said.
    Most of the black players he has played with would count him as a friend although Robert Cray got a bit upset.
    He probably made the biggest contribution of all in taking the blues - not R&B - back to the USA and making it viable again..

And you know what, I'm going to see him on Thursday night and I don't give give a fuck what anyone thinks about it; I won't feel guilty and I won't worry about whether, or not, he has profited from the sufferings of black people over 100 years ago.

What about the rape he admitted?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1200
    edited May 4
    rlw said:

That's a lot of words just to say "I've got Eric Clapton tickets". Was that meant to make people jealous or something? =) 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4346
    edited May 4
    rlw said:
    Nearly 50 years ago, you could say ************** in a light entertainment programme on the BBC and ITV so his choice of language wasn't out of the ordinary.

You so easily could have made your point without including those words. Why don’t you go back and give it another go 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 267
    rlw said:

That's a lot of words just to say "I've got Eric Clapton tickets". Was that meant to make people jealous or something? =) 
    I’m jealous I missed out on those tickets have a good one I bet it will be a blinder.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11047
    tFB Trader
    Lewy said:
    rlw said:
    Nearly 50 years ago, you could say ************** in a light entertainment programme on the BBC and ITV so his choice of language wasn't out of the ordinary.

You so easily could have made your point without including those words. Why don’t you go back and give it another go 
    To be fair I really think that removing those terms on an open forum would be a good plan. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • SvartmetallSvartmetall Frets: 733
    LionAquaLooper said: That's a lot of words just to say "I've got Eric Clapton tickets". Was that meant to make people jealous or something? =) 
    Jurors on the Trump trial got to see an old racist rapist for free. I wouldn't brag about paying to do so :) 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4346
    edited May 4
    Lewy said:
    rlw said:

To be fair I really think that removing those terms on an open forum would be a good plan. 
    Flagged it. Hopefully someone will remove them even if not the poster.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1298
    edited May 4
    Some people should be grateful for his drunken rant and character flaws, given the virtue signalling mileage they have got out of it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11047
    tFB Trader
    steven70 said:
    Some people should be grateful for his drunken rant and character flaws, given the virtue signalling mileage they have got out of it.
    Ah ... we had to get the 'virtue signalling' card played. Use some imagination with your put downs for gods sake ... it'll be snowflake, woke, leftie, sheeple next :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1655
    edited May 4
    steven70 said:
    Given his 'character flaws' include racism, domestic violence and rape, that's an utterly moronic comment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1200
    Dan_Halen said:
    steven70 said:
    Given his 'character flaws' include racism, domestic violence and rape, that's an utterly MORONIC comment.
    FTFY
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8838
    Thread closed while the moderators discuss whether it’s adding value, or just round in circles.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.