Who's written the best songs?

What's Hot

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4984
    The Beatles. They’re not my favourite band but it has to be. 

Other great writers: Randy Newman, Carole King, Ron Sexsmith, Robbie Fulks, Difford/Tilbrook, Nick Cave, Tom Waits, Neil Young, Dave Mustaine (no arguments, sorry!), Mark Lanegan, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, David Allan Coe, etc. 

Dave Mustaine doesn't belong in that list.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 314
    Prince, Michael Jackson. 

For guitar based pop its hard to look past Lennon and McCartney for many reasons, not least cultural impact. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mankytommankytom Frets: 283
    Prince, Michael Jackson. 

For guitar based pop it’s hard to look past Lennon and McCartney for many reasons, not least cultural impact. 
    Was just about to post Prince

And how has David Bowie not been mentioned?

Regina Spektor gets a special mention from me too

and (holds breath) Eminem is (lyrically) on a different level to almost anyone
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4666
    Mark Knopfler's written a few good 'uns.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72948
    Stevie Wonder can sit proud amongst the list of major song writers - To write such classics as 'you are the sunshine of my live' 'for once in my live' and 'my cherie amour' when you are still just about  a teenager is remarkable 
    Also not mentioned so far, and wrote some incredibly adult songs when she was genuinely just a teenager -

Kate Bush

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1712
    Burt Bacharach.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1547
    To me, Mark Knopfler is the greatest of them all. His solo career had a bumpy take off, but his writing and musical vision are now far above the clouds. And he doesn’t precisely suffer from writer’s block :flushed: 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5317
    Joni mitchell
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2563
    Ben Watt is up there for me, 40 years of producing excellent music in a range of genres.

Conor Oberst, as much for his lyrics as the music composition but another diverse artist.

Nick Cave because he’s Nick Cave and no one else is
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3683
    ICBM said:
    robgilmo said:
    I think song writers can write great songs one day then write utter pants the next, Its a personal taste thing I guess but Siamese Dream for me is a prime example, or The Bends, both great, well written albums followed by a long array of utter pants. 
    Paul Simon wrote some of the best songs ever in Simon & Garfunkel and on his first few solo albums… but he hasn’t written anything good since Graceland. I’ve really tried with several of his more recent ones, but there’s just nothing.
    I think Paul Simon needed Art Garfunkel just as much as Art Garfunkel needed Paul Simon, both of them lost something very important when they split up, perhaps it was their troubled relationship that actually caused them to produce such good music?
    Although Kathys Song, in my view was one of their best, was written by Paul for his solo album Song Book and then used in Sound of Silence later on, but what a song!

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4984
    Stepping back from personal preference, there's barely a handful that people would find hard to argue the facts about:
    • Rogers & Hammerstein wrote quite a number of what many would consider to be great songs; heck, a lot of people think one of them really is the Austrian National Anthem.
    • The Beatles (and individuals thereof) represent possibly the largest internationally and generationally recognised songs.
    • Burt Bacharach wrote many recognisable songs and movie scores.
    • Paul Simon & Garfunkel's work together was quite something.
    On a personal level, and recognising that others opinions bay differ, I would rate:
    • Neil Finn; I've often been listening and thought he's the best singwriter since The Beatles.
    • Rush, with Neil Peart's lyrics - good lyrics have to have a rhythm to them.
    • Yes - Jon Anderson's lyrics paint pictures rather than make statements.
    • Fleetwood Mac's various members worked together to do some great songs.
    • CSNY did great songs, but a lot of people may not have even heard of them.
    Of course, great songs and lyrics fall flat without the proper delivery, including orchestration, arrangement, harmonies, musicianship, and production; examples of this include:
    • Nilsson's "Without You", which made a mediocre Badfinger song great (Magic Christian Music is one of my favourite albums, though the movie itself is a bizarre trip).
    • Baker Street, which is made by the atmosphere and sax.
    • Ultravox's Vienna, with its drama, plus the video.

• PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 963
    Beatles first, then…
    Paul Simon
    Elvis Costello
    Difford & Tilbrook
    Paul Weller
    Steve Marriot and Ronnie Lane
    Redd Kross
    Raconteurs
    QOTSA
    MC5

‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1417
    Chris Cornell …
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 911
    Lots of my favourites already mentioned.
    Have not seen the mighty Taylor Swift or James Taylor mentioned.

I don't know enough about rap to be able to judge but would like to hear what people think of Jay Z, NWA, Snoop Dogg etc.
  • vizviz Frets: 10762
    edited May 4
    New Model Army probably. E.g.:

https://youtu.be/ufivG2ykm00?feature=shared
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9811
    Sam Cooke (admittedly really for just one song - but what a song).
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • mankytommankytom Frets: 283
    Lots of my favourites already mentioned.
    Have not seen the mighty Taylor Swift or James Taylor mentioned.

I don't know enough about rap to be able to judge but would like to hear what people think of Jay Z, NWA, Snoop Dogg etc.
    Jay Z very good, as are NWA.. I think Eminem is the greatest though and it’s not even close. Lots of people talking up Kendrick Lamar.. I don’t get it.. snoop is brilliant but he’s not in the same league as the others for me
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2563
    Eminem is good, not the greatest though. Andre 3000 delivers far more interesting rhymes, Nas raps about more important subjects. Biggie, Busta Rhymes, MF Doom, Lil Wayne, all preferable to Eminem imo
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1982
    How many of these songs are 'tidied up' by producers and independent people/companies versus those that go out almost as is? 
    I'd also suggest that the accompanying music is more important than the lyrics as melodies are often the key( no pun intended)to the song.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31087
    Neil Finn.
    Bowie.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.